joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 21-22 inverted trough/retro precip midweek threat

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dom is not liking the way his fellow weenies are grilling him for his measuring practices. :rambo:

Measuring on grass is generally not a good practice...esp in lighter snows. But sometimes its the only thing you can measure on if you don't have something like a snow board (picnic table, etc)

Dom is not liking the way his fellow weenies are grilling him for his measuring practices. :rambo:

LOL, I only measure on the grass in desperate times. Usually I use the roof of the car when the pavement doesn't stick, but I went out so that wasn't an option either. I don't have any good place to put a snowboard.

So does snow (or rain or sleet in Kevin's case) draw colder air down?

I'm sure that is a basic met 101 question.

I think "dragging colder air down" is sort of a myth. Two things can happen. Lift causes rising air which in turn cools a column, or you get evaporational cooling as rain or snow saturates the atmosphere and causes it to reach the dewpoint. I guess in theory rain or snow could drag cold air down with it, but I don't think that is the main cause for cooling. It makes for an easy explanation to the public though.

LOL, I only measure on the grass in desperate times. Usually I use the roof of the car when the pavement doesn't stick, but I went out so that wasn't an option either. I don't have any good place to put a snowboard.

I didn't put out a snowboard this year - I must've used it on some project this summer. So far I'm using the ol' deck railing and will use vehicles also.

Snow continues to fall SN, Up to 2.5" so far radar looks good here with 20 dbz stuff, Been steady with 15-20 dbz's........ :snowman:

Wow, that's cool .. I'm getting sh*tty snow growth. 0.2" still, despite snow falling for the past 15 hours. I do see the heavier part of the snow shield is entering my area so maybe that'll do something about the lackluster performance.

I would say there is roughly 4 inches here in Bath, Maine. Has been snowing at varying intensities since 7 this morning. It is coming down fairly hard now.

There's another member from Bath who was doing well. I wonder how much he has. Anyway, this one is over-performing for you, so woo-hoo!

And welcome to AmWx. :)

I would say there is roughly 4 inches here in Bath, Maine. Has been snowing at varying intensities since 7 this morning. It is coming down fairly hard now.

That's great to hear. Finally picked up in intensity and started accumulating around here at about 6:00, and is coming down nicely now. Hopefully tomorrow's forecast high in the upper 30's won't torch it away as happened to our snowcover yesterday. I was surprised at how quickly it disappeared given the cloud clover and the low sun angle. Of course, the warm north (maritime wraparound) wind and a few raindrops didn't help.

Wow, that's cool .. I'm getting sh*tty snow growth. 0.2" still, despite snow falling for the past 15 hours. I do see the heavier part of the snow shield is entering my area so maybe that'll do something about the lackluster performance.

We have about 0.8" here at gray. It's been coming down pretty good for the last few hours and the temp has dropped to 30-31. roads are very slippery.

We have about 0.8" here at gray. It's been coming down pretty good for the last few hours and the temp has dropped to 30-31. roads are very slippery.

My wife was in Bangor today and just called. She's on the turnpike and said the roads are a mess .. vehicles in the ditch and whatnot. Slow going.

Snow is falling at a good clip now.

It won't amount to much this far west, but some flurries are commencing as the area of -SN is pushing west to west southwest from Vermont. 23F and pretty windy here.

Archived