• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Second Half of October Wx Discussion?

CT Rain

To point this out for the members. Here is the Day 10 panel off E-Wall. Nic s/w coming out of Canada round the trough. 850s are below 0c for all of NE. Interesting setup as modeled.

Day 10 Euro 10-17-13.jpg

Thats -10C air at H85 up here...that's what we were for the Oct 2011 storm. I still have to think unless anything is a real dynamic system (such as Oct 2011) that we should be looking for -6C or less at H85 for any snowfall in lower elevations. A light to moderate type event this time of year can still be like -3C at H85 and raining at 3000ft and lower.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had 87" in Stowe Village that winter based on the CoCoRAHS station...I was wondering if they beat us down there but looks like they were close.

I'll say their 70-80" was probably higher impact snow than the 87" here which included 17" of fluff in a late-Feb upslope storm.

My house got 90" in 09/10 about 35 miles NW of DCA

To point this out for the members.  Here is the Day 10 panel off E-Wall.  Nic s/w coming out of Canada round the trough.  850s are below 0c for all of NE.  Interesting setup as modeled.

attachicon.gifDay 10 Euro 10-17-13.jpg

There really is a ton of potential in that pattern. Plus the infamous Southwest cutoff low on the long range Euro lol.

Once the upstream shortwave (sitting on top of the ridge) moves eastward, the ridge should explode poleward again, sending another shot from the arctic into the Plains.

Not to mention the storm raking the Aleutians at that time too :lol:

Gotta love this time of year.

Interesting Will about the snow totals but that really is beside the point.    It only underscores how rare that season was and I highly doubt that it happens just based on the numbers in general.  

As far as any specific wintry threat ... It is less likely that any given cycle of the oper. Euro depicting a D10 feature will succeed.  That's pretty obvious.   The main thing to take away from this is that that last 5 days of the month could certainly produce; what and how are the key questions to be ironed out in time. 

My own teleconnector method is fraught with potential in there, as well... I haven't belabored the issue because most have been onto this for some time.  Definitely a flagged interval of interest in there.   

Even if we don't get freezing or frozen p-types, we appear destined for hard freezes and heavy frost nights, with highs less than 50 in the els.  But it would be a "snow atmosphere."   I don't care what month of the year it is, if you got -4C at 850 at less than 540dm thickness, and you charge that sounding with moisture, it falls as snow.  That is really the heavily agreed upon air mass for the D5+ range.  

Which by the way, that agreement for that range is pretty impressive in its own rite. 

funny how climo works with the fall season and frost / freeze events. it's the same every yeah. (duh i guess).

a lot of spots like the hills, cities and parts of the coast won't frost...and instead have to wait to go straight to a freeze with the first real push of cold late oct or into november while some interior valley will have frost like 30 days earlier.

down here, there is never really a county-wide frost...parts of the cape will get a frost early in October (as has happened this Oct) and then eventually the entire area will finally drop into the 20s one night but accompanied with wind. 

Archived