12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I love these types of days. Beautiful warm afternoons but chilly fall-like nights. Today almost hit my 40-degree diurnal change temp fetish: 75/36 for the high/low.

After being 75F at like 4pm, we've already fallen 30 degrees, as it's 45F at 10pm. Should be 30s again by morning, maybe the 4th straight frost/freeze.

That's great in September ..but now that it's cool-cold season noone wants torch afternoons..You could easily be snowing by now

Another sweet fall day...frost and 35F this morning (4th in a row) and now heading towards 70 degrees.

Currently 67F out there at noon.

And elevated valley spot SLK has risen 40 degrees in the past 4.5 hours! They have gone from 28F this morning at 730am, to 68F now at noon. It really shows how elevation can be relative sometimes...at 1700ft they are currently one of the warmest stations in BTV's warning area.

Drizzle now.

Pretty awesome backdoor front... check out the VIS SAT...find the front, lol. 

It must be pretty low level as its not getting past the east slope of the Greens/Berks, and its not getting past the Whites either. 

Looking at the mesomaps, check out the temp differences between NW of the Presidentials in NH (Bretton Woods area in the 65-70F range) while SE of the Whites its in the low to mid 50s.

In SNE, looks like its hitting a brick wall on the MA/CT border.

I was suspicious of SLK yesterday. The $ flag has popped up, but apparently it's due to the ceilometer.

The dew point drop yesterday to 18F was interesting, but MVL also got to 25F and SLK is basically a mountain valley climate on steroids.

This reminds me a lot of spring-time in like April... we usually torch more than folks think in the mountain valleys.  Like those sunny days in the spring when most spots are like 55/30... we'll be 62/24 or something.  There's really no true downslope wind so I'm not exactly sure what the mechanism is, but there must be subtle compressional warming and drying coming from somewhere.  Mountain slopes warming and rising, leading to steep lapse rates or somehow maximizing the mixing?  Even though SLK is at 1,700ft they are surrounded by 4-5,000ft terrain so they are in a valley bottom and sometimes mirrors the changes at MVL over here in VT but just more extreme.  MPV doesn't really work the same (ie midday drying and max diurnal trends) because its at 1,200ft and more of a slight hilltop/plateau climate.

Downslope warmth for Kevin. Congrats.

I can't post a satellite loop but if you watch one it appears as though the clouds and front are having trouble penetrating the Mount Tolland Massif.  It drops down out of the NE, hits the massive uplift in terrain there in NE CT and gets deflected out towards the Berkshires. 

Archived