e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
October Banter and discussion

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic model fail occurring from 00z last night. Euro epic fail for NYC and Hudson Valley. GFS for ern and SE mass it appears. Euro was most egregious. Really bad. NAM did not have a clue until 18z today.

Yeah I'm shocked. We had the euro agreeing with its ensembles inside 72 hrs. Good thing it's not snow lol .

Epic model fail occurring from 00z last night. Euro epic fail for NYC and Hudson Valley. GFS for ern and SE mass it appears. Euro was most egregious. Really bad. NAM did not have a clue until 18z today.

That would be quite the shellacking for the eastern slopes of the Apps in PA if this were winter.  Impressive moisture feed into that area...Harrisburg International Airport already at 3.47" and steady redeveloping heavy rain bands. Decent amount of observing stations in that 1.5-3.0+ range right now there and climbing quickly.  Almost looks like a blocked flow into the Appalachians or something on SE flow.

Oct_11.gif

I'm not sold on this yet. It may be cloudy and cool, but not sold on a washout even by you. It might only be a Friday deal.

Caution flags FTW. Even today should be fine. If this were winter, Kevin would have been ignoring every post about the storm and just model

Hugging.

Totally sunny day lol..Some forecasts had rain all day today 24 hours ago

Awful model fail..especially euro from 00z yesterday. GFS was too wet today here as well. These cutoffs in the warm season (atmosphere still similar to the warm season this time of year) and big high to the north are always a nightmare to figure out. Unlike the winter when you have a nice thermal gradient that acts to enhance stratiform precip, convective blobs plus dry air advecting in mean havoc for the models. One of the reasons I wasn't sold on weekend rain, but I did think today would be wet south of I-90 as of a couple of days ago.

I went back and looked at what caused this pattern. Basically I don't think it could have been well forecasted and no it was not from a recurving Typhoon. There is a piece of energy that cuts off and digs ENE of Hawaii. Loop this through hr 84 and notice the cutoff that develops. It only helps to serve as a rex block and help build a ridge to the north. That ridge cannot go anywhere thanks to the Greenland block which BTW also can be partly to blame from a big low south of Greenland. Once this pattern is in place the Aleutian area low keeps the EPO negative. We'll see how long it lasts.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGTWIDE_0z/ensloopwide.html

Loop this and notice ENE of Hawaii by the 16th and watch the ridging unfold. Wave breaking FTW.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/dtpres/dtpres_npac_loop.html

Archived