joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ready to write off a cooler than normal October. Ensembles are in fairly good consensus on the mid level ridge reforming across the West Atlantic D 5-10. I think the second half of October might be normal to below, but won't cancel out the positives of the first half.

Hey it was quite unusual to have 2 months below current averages, I can't remember the last time there were 3!

its going to be an incredible week ahead, the best of the year, possibly the best in peoples lives :sizzle:

It would be great if it were say August to say early September, but having nearly a week of 80s or near 80 temperatures to start October is disgusting and it will strongly set back the foliage. 

We're probably going to see a few days of +10 or higher departures.

It would be great if it were say August to say early September, but having nearly a week of 80s or near 80 temperatures to start October is disgusting and it will strongly set back the foliage. 

We're probably going to see a few days of +10 or higher departures.

I wish the foliage never came. Why does it matter that it will be delayed? They will stall fall, it can not be denied.

I wish the foliage never came. Why does it matter that it will be delayed? They will stall fall, it can not be denied.

It could end up like October 2007 where we torch to the extreme and the leaves stay green until November, though the somewhat cooler than normal September brought about a quick start to the foliage so it may not be as bad. 

It could end up like October 2007 where we torch to the extreme and the leaves stay green until November, though the somewhat cooler than normal September brought about a quick start to the foliage so it may not be as bad. 

Unless we get another October snow storm it won't matter much when they fall as long as they fall eventually.

the correlation increases with latitude.

We want something of a Nino to fire up and provide some semblance of a subtropical jet. Otherwise we are prone to see storms blow up too late or try to cut for the lakes, which is the hallmark of most Nina years. Great for New England and the upper Midwest but poor to okay for here.

I'm really excited about the upcoming warmth for October. REALLY excited. I can remember many a warm October with a cold and snowy winter following. Let's hope for 30 inch blizzards!  :snowing:

In the stats Uncle W posted in the New England Forum, there is a slightly larger number of Octobers that were warm that had snowy winters, but it's not an overwhelming majority. I don't think we say how this winter will go quite yet.

I always thought that was kind of normal here, I can't recall a time where I haven't seen at least some green in November, but then again I don't pay much attention lol. I know the leaves were green during Sandy and the snowstorm that followed, whatever was left of the leaves/trees that is.

I always thought that was kind of normal here, I can't recall a time where I haven't seen at least some green in November, but then again I don't pay much attention lol. I know the leaves were green during Sandy and the snowstorm that followed, whatever was left of the leaves/trees that is.

I usually use halloween as a reference date for leaf change... around here on average the trees are 50/50 on halloween (half down and half still on trees) Last year for sandy about 50 % were down prior. Many have mentioned how tree damage could have been worse if sandy hit a little earlier when tree foliage was greater.

In the city you'll see more green in the beginning of November, but for most of us, leaves that remain post Halloween have changed color. In my area, usually peak occurs the last week of October with very rapid leaf drop in the first 5 days of November. There were essentially no leaves on the trees after Sandy last year (October 31st-Nov 1st). Latest peak in recent years was 2007, peaking around November 8th. Earliest peak (recently) was around October 20th or so in 2009. 2006 was also a peak in the 3rd week IIRC due to a chilly October. But the average for most of us centers around a Oct 25-31 peak with big leaf drop thereafter.

warmth or not, we are going to have an earlier peak this year. I think your peak weekend will be October 19 for leaf sightseeing

meanwhile back at the ranch lets see if we get graze 80 today.

...wonder what this dry stretch will have on the foliage..cut the lawn yesterday(not much to cut..very brown)

and it turned into a dust bowl..drought monitor has us in "abnormally dry"..need some rain!

Archived