joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Busy compiling the thoughts of all the government mets that are dying to post here if the forum was better

LOL.

There are two problems that this region has with red-taggers.  One is that many of them aren't really operational meteorologists, so their opinions on weather aren't that much better (if at all) than well-informed enthusiasts.  The other is that the operational mets that are here are from LWX or are on the national desks.  I get the sense that there is a little more "structure" to these jobs than some of the other offices and less of a chance that these types are going to be yakking it up with weenies on a message board.

I think the more important question is there anybody unsatisfied in this forum for "lack of NWS mets"? Really?

I think there is plenty of expertise from all taggers (weenie included) to accurately cover all events. We do a great job at over-analyzing MA threats. Heck, there's more criticism of NWS mets here then praise anyway. And it's justified imo. Not saying nws mets aren't qualified because they surely are but the the nws does an average job at best covering winter threats. 

Collectively in our subforum we do a pretty good job considering many of us do this as a hobby. I wouldn't be surprised if nws and tv mets glean from here leading into events. They can even get a detailed CRAS breakdown. Where else can you get that? LOL

I think the more important question is there anybody unsatisfied in this forum for "lack of NWS mets"? Really?

I think there is plenty of expertise from all taggers (weenie included) to accurately cover all events. We do a great job at over-analyzing MA threats. Heck, there's more criticism of NWS mets here then praise anyway. And it's justified imo. Not saying nws mets aren't qualified because they surely are but the the nws does an average job at best covering winter threats. 

Collectively in our subforum we do a pretty good job considering many of us do this as a hobby. I wouldn't be surprised if nws and tv mets glean from here leading into events. They can even get a detailed CRAS breakdown. Where else can you get that? LOL

To me the end goal in this forum is for weather lovers of all skill levels and background to have a place to talk about the weather in the region.  A combination of analysis, forecasts, thoughts, obs, and fun/camaraderie....We have all gotten a chance to know each other through the years...no forum is perfect, but I think this forum accomplishes all those things...It is the only forum I participate in on this board...the only one...I don't even read the other forums or OT...This is a great forum...we have it all and have fun in the process...I'd rather not have a couple mods decide what goes and doesn't go in this forum...we are all adults here...occasionally an obvious problem comes along, but mostly the mods should be here to organize things when things are busy....I'd rather the mods participate and have a good time than police the board...

Busy compiling the thoughts of all the government mets that are dying to post here if the forum was better

:lol:

matt makes me laugh

No doubt

To me the end goal in this forum is for weather lovers of all skill levels and background to have a place to talk about the weather in the region.  A combination of analysis, forecasts, thoughts, obs, and fun/camaraderie....We have all gotten a chance to know each other through the years...no forum is perfect, but I think this forum accomplishes all those things...It is the only forum I participate in on this board...the only one...I don't even read the other forums or OT...This is a great forum...we have it all and have fun in the process...I'd rather not have a couple mods decide what goes and doesn't go in this forum...we are all adults here...occasionally an obvious problem comes along, but mostly the mods should be here to organize things when things are busy....I'd rather the mods participate and have a good time than police the board...

Great post Matt. Looking forward to the car topper talk soon :lol:

To me the end goal in this forum is for weather lovers of all skill levels and background to have a place to talk about the weather in the region. A combination of analysis, forecasts, thoughts, obs, and fun/camaraderie....We have all gotten a chance to know each other through the years...no forum is perfect, but I think this forum accomplishes all those things...It is the only forum I participate in on this board...the only one...I don't even read the other forums or OT...This is a great forum...we have it all and have fun in the process...I'd rather not have a couple mods decide what goes and doesn't go in this forum...we are all adults here...occasionally an obvious problem comes along, but mostly the mods should be here to organize things when things are busy....I'd rather the mods participate and have a good time than police the board...

I missed this post while at work.

Somebody could try for years and not say it better than this. Nailed it.

Not many can offer expert analysis, and I certainly know that I can't. But everyone plays a role, everyone adds to the sum, and the bond that this forum has created among all of us is more important than the "scientific" level of a thread.

I'm all for keeping storm threads on the up and up. The obs thread has always included banter, regardless of whether it's in the title.

As Matt said, we've got the best sub on the board. I hope we keep it, keep the family together.

<insert Heath-Ledger-as-The-Joker "Not Sure if Serious" meme>

The Cowboys suck (and I'm a Cowboys fan).  The Giants look completely unhinged after 2 weeks, and Philly is one hit on Vick from being QB less.  The skins have the best front 7 in the division, the best o-line, the best running game (not the best back - that goes to McCoy), and soon they'll have a near 100% RG3.  As much as I hate it - the redskins are still the best team in this division, and they'll get their act together.  Look around, this division is not very good.  The East is 2-6 and those two wins came within the division.

Not many can offer expert analysis, and I certainly know that I can't. But everyone plays a role, everyone adds to the sum, and the bond that this forum has created among all of us is more important than the "scientific" level of a thread.

I have no role and subtract from the sum.  I should be banned

Archived