Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fall 2013 Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we hold off of the play by play of the gfs for a day 9 storm?

Why? It's the only thing interesting that's happened in the last 5 months weather wise. I'm personally rooting for a 5" driving rain storm to knock out these dry conditions and put all the non sense talk about how storms can't happen in a dry pattern to rest.

Why? It's the only thing interesting that's happened in the last 5 months weather wise. I'm personally rooting for a 5" driving rain storm to knock out these dry conditions and put all the non sense talk about how storms can't happen in a dry pattern to rest.

If nothing is interesting, it doesnt mean you still have to fill a quota of daily posts, lol.

I drove through some of Suffolk County the day after the blizzard and it was truly incredible what happened there. Around Rte 112 seems to be where the highest totals were, upwards of 30". It was very depressing having to turn back west to head back to my place where we received a measly approx. 12". That night was very frustrating being under moderate sleet while that orange/yellow band over Suffolk must have been 5"/hour snow.

I drove through some of Suffolk County the day after the blizzard and it was truly incredible what happened there. Around Rte 112 seems to be where the highest totals were, upwards of 30". It was very depressing having to turn back west to head back to my place where we received a measly approx. 12". That night was very frustrating being under moderate sleet while that orange/yellow band over Suffolk must have been 5"/hour snow.

yeah, we were just under that band, the western edge...we had 3-5 inch hourly rates here for a good 6 hrs...

Great thanks, looks like many are near normal to a tad below as of the 19th and will fall further after today.

I don't think there's any doubt that this month will average below normal especially given the upcoming air mass and for thanksgiving week. What a change when most said November would be above normal.

Great thanks, looks like many are near normal to a tad below as of the 19th and will fall further after today.

I don't think there's any doubt that this month will average below normal especially given the upcoming air mass and for thanksgiving week. What a change when most said November would be above normal.

We've got that part (the cold) just need some QPF

yeah, we were just under that band, the western edge...we had 3-5 inch hourly rates here for a good 6 hrs...

Yup. I was reading the reports from you guys and just seething at watching the dual pol radar slither the sleet/snow line 15 miles away from me for most of those hours. The joys of living in southern Nassau County!! :axe:

This isn't right.Texas and oklahoma are getting a foot of snow today and we are get nothing

They're entitled to their quota too...

back in 1993 Dallas played New England during an ice storm at home...That storm wasn't a snow maker for NYC but the low level cold air was the theme for that winter...

It should be noted that November and December we're fairly ho hum that year and our first measurable snow was not until the 29th.. even though it turned very cold right before Christmas

Surprised this wasn't mentioned at all. Would be a very warm December is this projection verified and is rolled forward.... -WPO/-EPO gets overwhelmed by a raging +PNA. It would be very devastating to see this record-breaking November cold reverse itself in less than two weeks. Wouldn't it be cruel if this is the only arctic shot that delivers a sub-32 degree day to NYC for this winter season? The most cringe-worthy analogs showing up are 1998 and 1996.  :yikes:

500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Surprised this wasn't mentioned at all. Would be a very warm December is this projection verified and is rolled forward.... -WPO/-EPO gets overwhelmed by a raging +PNA. It would be very devastating to see this record-breaking November cold reverse itself in less than two weeks. Wouldn't it be cruel if this is the only arctic shot that delivers a sub-32 degree day to NYC for this winter season? The most cringe-worthy analogs showing up are 1998 and 1996.  :yikes:

Disagree,  1972 is more cringe-worthy than 1996.

500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Yep, in last 2 nights the models have showed this pattern, dumping a huge trough into the west, killing the +pna. 

Disagree,  1972 is more cringe-worthy than 1996.

1972-73 is the by far the most cringe-worthy and I do not think we are going there. But neither do I think we are going to see relentless cold during the early part of this winter. With the strong WAR, and NO high lattitude blocking, storms are forced over us or to our west. This is the pattern we are moving into. When there is a +PNA, we will get these shots of arctic air, as soon as the +PNA breaks down, we will warm up. We will probably go back and forth between +PNA and -PNA. That, in combination with no high lattitude blocking will cause wild swings in temperature readings which I believe will be characteristic of at least the first part of this winter. There is even the possibility that most of this winter could be like this. But in this pattern, usually, when you're cold, you're dry, with most of the storms tracking over us or to our west.

WX/PT

Archived