amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Fall 2013 Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really don't warm up at all or only for a day or so on models now. Looks like the cold wins again this year. Thank the EPO for that.

Amazing how much power the EPO has. It can almost overwhelm a +AO/NAO and a -PNA, however; that almost is a fine line when it comes to snow so a little help from the other teleconnections would be nice. 

I don't really love the 12z GFS, the +PNA never forms, so we have a -PNA & no ATL blocking, the cold is probably overdone with its low resolution. 

So long as the EPO holds steady, the cold may be spot-on.  Without help from the other teleconnectors though, it'll be like pulling teeth to getting any substantial frozen precip in here.

found it...

year dates............max...60+....coments...

12/01-07/1912........64....2.....mild snowless winter but had the snowiest Christmas Eve on record...

12/01-08/1932........63....3.....mild but did have above average snowfall and mid December snowstorm...

12/07-13/1946........70....4.....mild until February when it turned cold and snowy into March...

12/01-09/1951........64....6.....Mid month winter storm with snow sleet and rain and cold wave...mild winter with some snow...

12/04-10/1953........63....4.....mild December...Cold and snowy January...Mild after...

12/03-08/1956........67....2.....mild December...Cold and snowy January...seasonable after...

12/03-07/1960........64....2.....very cold December with a blizzard on the 12th...Cold snowy winter...

12/01-06/1962........68....1.....very cold December...some snow on the 11th..very cold winter with little snow...

12/06-11/1966........66....4.....Cold second half of December with a snowstorm Christmas eve...cold snowy winter...

12/01-04/1970........66....2.....cold December with snow and sleet just before Christmas...Cold winter with little snow...

12/06-10/1980........64....2.....cold second half of December with snow just before Christmas...Christmas cold wave...cold with little snow...

12/01-08/1982........72....3.....snow on the 12th...mild but snowy winter...

12/01-08/1998........75....6.....snow just before Christmas otherwise a mild and snowless winter...

12/01-07/2001........71....5.....mild snowless winter...

Thanks for the stats, Uncle W. So it appears to be a toss-up in regards to the final winter outcomes from warm December 1-7 periods.

Wonder how many of those mild Week 1 Decembers followed a below normal November, as looks to be the case this year.   Hard to imagine why the first week in December exclusively would have such a strong correlation to the rest of the winter.

Before Uncle W posted those stats, I was thinking that there may have been a weak correlation based on the winters I have seen during my lifetime. For example, if I recall correctly during the epic 2010-2011 winter, that first week of December featured max temps  that barely got above freezing and low temps in the 20s all week, which was way below normal. However, in the non-existent winter of 2011-2012, the first week of December was exceptionally mild. I think that same phenomenon happened for last winter, which may have correlated to NYC not getting above-average snowfall.

It also seems to me that well-below normal temperatures has to set in early on in the winter months rather than later in order for us to realize above-average winter snowfall. For instance, during the winter of 2006-2007, below-normal temps did not settle in until January, which was too late for us to reach our seasonal snowfall average.

Guest Patrick

just bantering...

it will be interesting to see how last winter compares to this winter in terms of snowfall.  Last year featured mostly borderline events with poor snow ratios...this year heading into december is fairly dry with a greater than average chance of arctic intrusions.. do we score well with a swfe that has higher ratios(20:1), even though overall less precip falls...and does this average out to similar snowfall as last year even though the means are completely different? Would be interesting to have a relatively cold/dry pattern hold, and end up with normal or above normal snowfall..yet still end up with drought conditions heading into next summer.

excuse the bantery banter. 

Its too early to cancel December

No question about it. Anyone canceling a whole month of winter is being silly. Even in a bad pattern, you can threat the needle and get a big snowstorm. Also as jetski09 hinted at, the 2nd week of December is looking interesting. With cold air to work with, you never know what could happen.

I don't think Don is canceling anything. He's only citing what the teliconnectors are indicating in conjunction with the analogues. He feels the EPO negative state will relax mid month resulting in a torched east due to the +AO flexing its influence. Historically, he's shown that the analogues do not maintain a -EPO for more than 30 days. Of course it's happened and it could happen this year but the odds of that are less than those of it becoming predominately neutral or positive. It could be another rough winter snow lover wise.

Archived