Newest Member
    CHSVol
Fall 2013 Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm missed to my east again. Bone dry in South Central Nassau

We got some rain. Still pretty bad here. Trees are taking a beating. One tree in my backyard lost half of it's leaves already. Among the other half that's left, half of those are yellow. Usually the tree doesn't look that way until late October. 

We got some rain. Still pretty bad here. Trees are taking a beating. One tree in my backyard lost half of it's leaves already. Among the other half that's left, half of those are yellow. Usually the tree doesn't look that way until late October. 

At least you got some rain. We had about 13 drops in Wantagh. That was a pretty solid storm I saw some insane ctg lightning and some rotation on the SW flank of the storm!

Looks like parts of the black hills could see 45-60+" of snow...Lead, SD has 33" as of 215pm Central...it only started snowing around midnight I believe last night. The Black Hills usually do awesome in these type of storms but this looks intense. Also a civil emergency has been declared in 3 counties in western SD.

Looks like parts of the black hills could see 45-60+" of snow...Lead, SD has 33" as of 215pm Central...it only started snowing around midnight I believe last night. The Black Hills usually do awesome in these type of storms but this looks intense. Also a civil emergency has been declared in 3 counties in western SD.

Looks like many places in western SD received 3-4' of snow! The pics coming out of there are impressive to say the least.

I guess I've been sleeping on the job...where is this station located that is now listed on the "regional Weather Roundup" (hourly observations compilation):

BRONX BO. GARD

How long have I been asleep? I assume it didn't get added during the gvt shutdown.  This is what happens when there no chance of snow ;)

I guess I've been sleeping on the job...where is this station located that is now listed on the "regional Weather Roundup" (hourly observations compilation):

BRONX BO. GARD

How long have I been asleep? I assume it didn't get added during the gvt shutdown. This is what happens when there no chance of snow ;)

I assume it's located at the Bronx Botanical Garden? :)

12z GFS had another coastal day 10

That's very plausible given the NAO pattern and overall blocking pattern that's being shown. What we might get thurs/friday is technically a weak coastal storm and we are now in the nor'easter season so I believe it. Things definitely look a lot colder and stormier for the second half of this month over the first and maybe it'll translate into November.

so far the fall is slightly above average but if it stays on the warm side thru November don't expect much snow this year...I'm hoping the pattern changes soon before this fall ends up as warm as these years...

warmest falls....winter snowfall...big snow...

1931-32....................5.3"....................2.0"

1961-62..................18.1"....................6.2"

1946-47..................30.6"..................10.7"

1953-54..................15.8"....................7.9"

1900-01....................9.1"....................4.0"

1941-42..................11.3"....................3.2"

1979-80..................12.8"....................4.6"

1985-86..................13.0"....................4.5"

1990-91..................24.9"....................8.9"

2007-08..................11.9"....................6.0"

1971-72..................22.9"....................5.7"

2011-12....................7.4"....................4.3"

average...................15.3"....................5.7"

long term ave...........28.3"....................9.0" est...

only one winter had above average snowfall...1946-47...

Just monkeying around with numbers, but if you exclude from the averages those 12 winters that followed warm falls, the average snowfall for the remaining 130 winters is 29.5". 

So NYC averages very close to twice as much snowfall when the winter does not follow a warm fall vs when it does.

Subjectively, just about every fall recently has seemed warm.  Maybe that is just because it is a very nice time of year wx-wise (usually).

Archived