• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

Its like the "big cold" on the models last winter... Just keep kicking that can down the road.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Hit 79 today. Kinda humid today too, but not too bad.

Only 4 80s this entire month so far!

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a rainy day, temps cooler than forecast (spent most of day in the 60s, managed to briefly spike to 74 in the late afternoon) had some heavy storms in the evening, among the best Ive seen this year.

The below pics are essentially the same storm, but the first was taken by my sister in Ann Arbor, and the next was taken by me in Wyandotte over an hour later. The sky was so wicked I wish I had grabbed my regular camera, instead of my phone. The fact that it was dusk made the pictures turn out less impressive but the actual in-person visual was amazing. It looked like a spaceship in the sky lol. Didnt measure total rainfall yet.

3557-800.jpg

3556-800.jpg

DTW finished the day at 2.46" which breaks the old daily record of 2.16" set in 1908. Summer total is up to 12.65". This currently ranks as the 19th wettest summer in Detroit records even if there is no additional precip in August. The pretty cell pictured above did go over DTW as well, which made up 0.93" of the day's total.

The co-op observer nearest me reported 2.93 inches, about 10x the forecast QPF.

EDITED 8/13 to correct totals and rankings.

There's been some talk of a pattern change in the medium range, but the CFS is not showing any big recovery in the departures for the rest of the month.

post-2499-0-00464100-1376366668.png

The GFS Ensembles appear to indicate a ridge building in during the 6-10 day period, so unfortunately I do think there will be a warm up, perhaps significant, from next weekend and beyond.

There's been some talk of a pattern change in the medium range, but the CFS is not showing any big recovery in the departures for the rest of the month.

post-2499-0-00464100-1376366668.png

I think CFS is going to be wrong on this, both GFS and ECMWF are showing a warmup in the mid to long range along with their ensembles. Good run to run consistency as well, I don't think it will be some sort of mind blowing warmup but I do think above average temps are starting to look likely after the 17th.

I think CFS is going to be wrong on this, both GFS and ECMWF are showing a warmup in the mid to long range along with their ensembles. Good run to run consistency as well, I don't think it will be some sort of mind blowing warmup but I do think above average temps are starting to look likely after the 17th.

Euro weeklies also show above normal temps for next week across the region. Atleast north of i-70 with the warmest departures just north of the lakes in Canada.

Brrrr.....

APX:

NOT ENTIRELY SOLD ON JUST HOW COLD
READINGS BECOME TONIGHT...WITH CENTER OF HIGH PRESSURE REMAINING
JUST UPSTREAM. WILL NUDGE INHERITED LOWS DOWN A TOUCH...INTRODUCING
NEAR 40 DEGREE READINGS IN THE TRADITIONAL ICE BOX LOCATIONS
(GRAYLING...ATLANTA...AND SUCH). IF FULL DECOUPLING IS
REALIZED...THESE READINGS WILL LIKELY BE A TOUCH TO "WARM"...WITH
SOME MID AND UPPER 30S DEFINITELY PLAUSIBLE. EITHER WAY...ANOTHER
CHILLY MID AUGUST NIGHT FOR THE NORTH WOODS.

Had a thunderstorm last night that poured buckets for a short amount of time. Northeast parts of the area almost picked up an inch.

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 0.93"

West Lafayette 2.8 NNE: 0.88"

LAF: 0.48"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 0.38"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 0.32"

Quite the range across the area. It actually got surprisingly windy as the storms rolled through. Wasn't expecting it.

DTW finished the day at 2.46" which breaks the old daily record of 2.16" set in 1908. Summer total is up to 12.65". This currently ranks as the 19th wettest summer in Detroit records even if there is no additional precip in August. The pretty cell pictured above did go over DTW as well, which made up 0.93" of the day's total.

The co-op observer nearest me reported 2.93 inches, about 10x the forecast QPF.

EDITED 8/13 to correct totals and rankings.

It was another good old i94 thrashing. I had 1.83", YIP had 2.45", DTW 2.46", ARB 2.66". Highest total I found was 3.25" in Milan.

Nice storm shots from MI. Looks like some good sup structure.

Noon and 66/53 here today after weak fropa last night. Barely enough to wet the ground here, regions to the south had a lot more rain and thunder. Good light show in the backyard around midnight. Cleared out around 330am and got to see a few Perseids from my backyard, but light pollution prevented me from seeing more.

Drove out to Elora, ON Saturday night for darkness and meteors. Caught a few great fireballs. Very clear sky that night. Anyone else catch anything? How were viewing conditions for you?

Impressive CAA occurring right now, MKE is sitting at 55. Tonight could be the coldest night this summer as MKE possibly flirts with upper 40's.

Yeah it's chilly out there now with the wind! Only 64° here at 11am. Hit 54° at 7 am this morning here.

Gusts over 20 mph.

50° forecast here tonight.

Copter

It'd be nice to know why he's thinking what he's thinking. It's very early but there's nothing that points toward a particularly warm winter at this point. I guess I'd be a bit concerned about the rubber band effect...this mostly below average regime has been around for quite a while and you'd figure it will find a way to break at some point.

Yeah it's chilly out there now with the wind! Only 64° here at 11am. Hit 54° at 7 am this morning here.

Gusts over 20 mph.

50° forecast here tonight.

This weather is awesome. With 850 temps at 6c, sfc temps will only climb a few more degrees this afternoon.

Had a thunderstorm last night that poured buckets for a short amount of time. Northeast parts of the area almost picked up an inch.

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 0.93"

West Lafayette 2.8 NNE: 0.88"

LAF: 0.48"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 0.38"

Lafayette 2.2 S: 0.32"

Congrats. Meanwhile, the total in Huntington, 0.00". The line parted like the Red Sea as it approached. No rain in the forecast for the next 6 days.

65/48 right now at the noon obs. Some clouds passing on by on the NNE wind.

The longer the heat up is pushed forward, the less intense it should be. Lost about 75 minutes of daylight since the Solstice.

Will see how this plays out... predicted upper air flow on Sunday and departures in Chicagoland for the 1-2 week range.

It'd be nice to know why he's thinking what he's thinking. It's very early but there's nothing that points toward a particularly warm winter at this point. I guess I'd be a bit concerned about the rubber band effect...this mostly below average regime has been around for quite a while and you'd figure it will find a way to break at some point.

Just the annual lets call for a warm winter to rile the board. I always have an underlying concern we are due for several more stinker winters (we had one, 2011-12, after a 4 year snow blitz) but everything ive heard so far points to a decent to good winter.

Archived