joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The far SE areas have had full sun all day and with 850mb temps around 13c. So making it to 80 was kind of inevitable. RAC and ENW will probably crack 80 as well.

That explains it, because I ate lunch downtown as I was typing my message and it felt comfortable and cloudy, so it was difficult for me to believe the airport hit 80F at noon already.

It would be interesting to do this with the low temps. With the way LAF radiates I would guess there are a lot more low temps AOB average than say IND.

LAF min temps: 28 days above...34 below...7 normal

June: 12 days...12 days...6 days

July: 13 days...17 days...1 day

August: 3 days...5 days...0 days

LAF overall average temperature days (June 1 - August 8)

25 days...37 days...7 days

IND isn't a fair fight though, as they're usually the highest in the state with min temps.

Some of the maples in my neighborhood are starting to show color on their tops, unreal for the 2nd week of August. Oh and this excerpt from DTX's morning AFD says what you see is what you will continue to get.

MODEL THICKNESS FIELDS SUGGEST THIS AIR MASS COULD
BE THE COLDEST YET IN THE RECENT STRETCH OF BELOW NORMAL
TEMPERATURE CONDITIONS.

My point and click for next week:

• Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
  • Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
  • Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.
  • Thursday Sunny, with a high near 72.

Some of the maples in my neighborhood are starting to show color on their tops, unreal for the 2nd week of August. Oh and this excerpt from DTX's morning AFD says what you see is what you will continue to get.

My point and click for next week:

• Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
  • Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
  • Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
  • Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.
  • Thursday Sunny, with a high near 72.

My guess is that it has been many years since we have seen such a onset of colder temps like this so early into August. I wonder if all the rain of July is the main culprit of the yellowing trees in the region ?? Even the acorns are falling..... Never the less the dog days of summer are feeling more like fall.

Daff - wow you got acorns already falling! A bit early for that. I think last year due to the drought they fell a bit early. Like the 3rd/4th week of August, but now is early.

Some trees around here change really early and I've always heard it's due to some disease or disorder the tree has.

Anyways, a beautiful day today, high 74°.

• Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 54.

Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 74.

Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 52.

Thursday Sunny, with a high near 75.

Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 55.

Friday Sunny, with a high near 76.

Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 57.

Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.

:sleepy:

Perfect weather for hiking and nature study, which I did yesterday and today since I had two days off.  Perseid meteor shower the next couple nights.  Gotta observe nature in ways other than the usual met concerns around the Midwest until hurricane season starts to rev up in the Atlantic and Gulf, which is usually the only time I read the main page of this weather forum anymore.

Had a pretty good time today hiking up along Lake Michigan near Port Washington, WI today - after the rain quit. Only a trace of rain down here all day. 

75/53 for today.

Very green!

Very straight for a path!

actually lucking out in to some decent rain by looking at radar and it started raining just as we pulled in the hood...didn't feel like unpacking the truck at midnight anyways...even a few rumbles of the elusive thunder...should probably buy a few powerball tickets this week.

Great pics, Geos.  I wish Port was closer... I love the area and don't utilize it hardly at all...

Wow...lot of rain over to the east...  We picked up just over 1/2 inch yesterday...biggest rainfall in a loooong time.  Still bone dry here.  Amazing flip from May/June...   Temps have been basically stead in the 70Fs during the day and 50Fs/low 60Fs at night...

NAEFS shows above avg temps coming back to areas east of here in the late Aug time frame...  Still shows avg here...  at that point though, temps are gradually falling...avg temp on Aug 28th is 80F/60F..

Haven't followed the weather at all lately...haven't look at the GFS/Euro in probably a month.  Can't complain about this pattern.

Definitely needed that inch+ of rain and that skinny snake of better rains could've easily mostly missed us like it did just a short distance away by Brewers and wiwx. 

Hopefully we torch around and through labor day weekend.. It will be right near a month this coming weekend since we've had  even a small stretch of real good beach weather and I'm kinda actually missing me some of those upper 80's and 90's days.

Avg high temp dropped below 80 on the 5th but we only lose 2 more degree's the rest of the month. Around this time next month we'll be losing about a degree on the high temp every 2 two days!

Euro trending toward the jet stream lifting north and getting this area back into a more summery pattern beyond a week, but it doesn't look any wetter than the current bone dry pattern.  Parts of Iowa(Des Moines, in particular) have been so dry the last couple months they are now back below average for the year.

Archived