joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This weather has just been perfect. Say what you will but this isn't winter where you're cooped up all day waiting for a blizzard to provide a nice change and excitement. 75-80 with low humidity and sunny is awesome weather for boating and fishing and golfing, plus I've been outside almost daily this entire summer

At 56° IMBY already. Thinking low 50s will be very possible tonight.

Weather has been a bit boring, but it's very comfortable out! Keeping the windows open 24/7 is better than having the AC running non-stop.

0.70" at LAF. Hopefully that cuts down on the daily dust storms.

;)  :D

For real though, with the missing rainfall/obs from earlier...that probably puts LAF at around normal for summer. Ho hum.

FWA has received a bit more than their normal August rainfall in the past two days...3.75" for Aug 2-3. Normal August rainfall is 3.64".

Also, broke a daily record at FWA...and it was the 4th wettest August calendar day on record.

4.93" on August 1, 1926

4.78" on August 26, 1899

3.88" on August 9, 1957

3.59" on August 2, 2013

3.40" on August 20, 2007

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

0124 AM EDT SAT AUG 03 2013

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 3.59 INCHES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE YESTERDAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.71 SET IN 1921.

Based upon what the models have been showing and the pattern we are in, there is certainly a potential they could make a run for the August all time record there especially considering the start they have gotten off to.

Based upon what the models have been showing and the pattern we are in, there is certainly a potential they could make a run for the August all time record there especially considering the start they have gotten off to.

Top 5 wettest Augusts for Fort Wayne.

10.09" in 1926

9.69" in 2007

7.69" in 1975

7.26" in 1977

6.75" in 1990

4.09" in 2013, through yesterday.

Top 5 wettest Augusts for Fort Wayne.

10.09" in 1926

9.69" in 2007

7.69" in 1975

7.26" in 1977

6.75" in 1990

4.09" in 2013, through yesterday.

I like seeing the 2nd highest amount on the list, a fall/winter that is high on my list of analogs for this upcoming fall/winter.

I like seeing the 2nd highest amount on the list, a fall/winter that is high on my list of analogs for this upcoming fall/winter.

Better start torching soon. ;)

For real though, September and October 2007...very toasty. November cooled off. We know where that winter went...

What makes you so bullish on that year? That was a very robust Nina which it appears we will fall short of this time.

The Nina really didn't get going until Sept/October and like that summer we were pretty much neutral ENSO this summer with a trend toward negative coming up. It might not be as strong but the trend is similar to that year. It just remains to be seen how strong of a Nina we get this winter, I don't think there is any question at this point of whether or not we are going to have a Nina however.

The Nina really didn't get going until Sept/October and like that summer we were pretty much neutral ENSO this summer with a trend toward negative coming up. It might not be as strong but the trend is similar to that year. It just remains to be seen how strong of a Nina we get this winter, I don't think there is any question at this point of whether or not we are going to have a Nina however.

Pretty strong statement. The trend toward the Nina side has been looking better as of late but I'd say there's still a reasonable shot it doesn't make official Nina status.

Pretty strong statement. The trend toward the Nina side has been looking better as of late but I'd say there's still a reasonable shot it doesn't make official Nina status.

Sure there is, however I am hedging my bets that we make Nina status, somewhere in the -0.6 to -0.9 range. Not quite to the levels of 2007-2008 but closer than we currently are.

was 43 at my house this morning.  cool enough to accelerate the leaf change I think.  went out on Ellsworth lake yesterday and the water temp has definitely chilled off from its peak a couple weeks back.

I've noticed the drop in the water temp in my pond. The breezes off the lake have been noticeable all summer. Usually by late July there pretty weak and almost non-existent by August.

Down to 54° here. Cloudy morning with no rain.

Is it safe to assume that the lower lake temps from this cool summer will have an effect on LES production this winter?

Good point! I would say very likely. More ice coverage on the lakes this winter? Edit: I think it could end the LES a bit early. Although windy conditions can keep waters open and whether we have a mild autumn or not.

Lake Michigan has taken a hit on the temperatures.

avgtemps-m.gif

Huron as well. Getting close to 2009 levels.

avgtemps-h.gif

---

No torches with a jet stream like this later in the week.

post-2499-0-10294600-1375727300_thumb.pn

The heavens really opened here! Nice mood thunder going as well.

Down to 65°.

Temperature trend this year, with June and July pointed out.

Recent cool down really stands out!

Edit: 0.21" of rain.

Archived