joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I am going to lean towards cooler than normal as well. Probably -1° - -2° range for the local area. Looks like the first 2 or 3 days will be in the mid 80s though - according to Caplan.

I think I am going to lean towards cooler than normal as well. Probably -1° - -2° range for the local area. Looks like the first 2 or 3 days will be in the mid 80s though - according to Caplan.

Sounds about right, the first week or so definitely will not be torchy as it looks atm.

Certainly looks like there is a potential for more heavy rains across the region this week, around the lakes today and tomorrow, then Wednesday into Thursday and again next weekend as well.

One thing that could be a concern for the region would be if later into September we have tropical remnants move up into the region, there could really be a potential of some major flooding considering how waterlogged some of the areas are. This is especially true for Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky.

Don't want to jump the gun, but should the CFS be correct, it is very possible that Detroits entire allotment of 90F days in 2013 came all in a row, July 15-19th. If every summer could be like this, confine the heat/humidity into one oppressive work-week (M-F), I wouldnt even complain (ok, maybe a little ;))

We have the entire month of August and a couple weeks of Sep to go. I dont think DTW is finished with obtaining at least a couple or more 90 readings.

Newest CPC 6-10 and 8-14 outlooks have the almost the entire sub forum in the 50-60% below normal probability. 

Or as my wife likes to remind me, about a 45% chance of near normal probability :P .

The great thing about below normal this time of year  is that it makes it very comfortable.

Summers sure fly by and with  spring warmth virtually MIA  and only a handful of torch days this summer it sorta sucks we're heading in to august already with no midnight swimming weather in sight for now.  Novelty of summer weather wears off by the middle of August for me anyways just like it does in winter for some here once we hit later in to Feb..    Its been another boring severe weather spring and summer here anyways so might as well scoot on through August ASAP and see what the start of MET Fall can start mustering up for tropical/severe/torches/and snow..

Only 60 more days and the north woods of Wisconsin's fall foliage will already be putting on its 3 billion dollar tourism show :guitar:

Temps looking perfect for at least the first half of the 11 day state fair starting Thursday.  Always feel sorry for the animals cooped up in the barns sweating their Yam sacks off. 

Summers sure fly by and with  spring warmth virtually MIA  and only a handful of torch days this summer it sorta sucks we're heading in to august already with no midnight swimming weather in sight for now.  Novelty of summer weather wears off by the middle of August for me anyways just like it does in winter for some here once we hit later in to Feb..    Its been another boring severe weather spring and summer here anyways so might as well scoot on through August ASAP and see what the start of MET Fall can start mustering up for tropical/severe/torches/and snow..

Only 60 more days and the north woods of Wisconsin's fall foliage will already be putting on its 3 billion dollar tourism show :guitar:

Temps looking perfect for at least the first half of the 11 day state fair starting Thursday.  Always feel sorry for the animals cooped up in the barns sweating their Yam sacks off. 

Yeah by the time you get to August 20th or so, it feels like Fall. Especially when I was in college/school it felt that way. Could get interesting if tropical storm remnants pay a visit to the region this month.

August is my least favorite month mainly due to my ragweed allergies. Usually those last until about Sept. 15th. I have a feeling summer weather will be cut short this year.

Edit:

First weekend of August looks like a near repeat of the last 2 days.

There's been some hints of a major cool shot well in the extended (like 10 days away), but whether it materializes remains to be seen. I doubt there will be anything on the level of what just happened at least for the next 7-10 days, but overall it does look below average with perhaps some temps near average mixed in.

There's been some hints of a major cool shot well in the extended (like 10 days away), but whether it materializes remains to be seen. I doubt there will be anything on the level of what just happened at least for the next 7-10 days, but overall it does look below average with perhaps some temps near average mixed in.

Yeah, the HPC Outlooks indicate even sustained near-normal temps will be difficult to come by in the region, let alone any warmer than normal periods.  Not out of the question that we go nearly 3 weeks in a row in the dog days of summer without seeing 80F for a high around here.

SYNOPTIC OVERVIEW...
30.12Z ECMWF/GFS/CANADIAN ALL SUGGEST A REX BLOCK STAYING MOSTLY IN
PLACE OVER WESTERN CANADA INTO THE GULF OF ALASKA...ALONG WITH
TROUGHING OVER SOUTHEAST CANADA INTO THE GREAT LAKES
REGION...THROUGH THE LONG TERM PERIOD. THIS MEANS THE FORECAST AREA
WILL STAY IN COOL...NORTHWEST FLOW WITH SHORTWAVES COMING THROUGH
THAT CAN BE HARD TO TIME. WHETHER OR NOT THESE SHORTWAVES PRODUCE
PRECIPITATION WILL DEPEND ON MOISTURE AVAILABILITY.

I'm liking this weather... 

Archived