• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

As I was telling my mother yesterday, you really need above average summers to enjoy the water in Michigan. An average summer, which we have had so far, isn't ideal for swimming. Obviously the last 3 weeks have been below average, but as a whole the summer has been average.

Agree... there was about 5 weeks where the lake water was swimmable (70+)...Which isn't bad considering it was iced over until 3rd week of April.

I was in the big lake in late July when it peaked around 69 degrees. 

At any rate, SHORT Summer season here!

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wuss alert in here..  inland lakes should pop back up to a very comfortable 77+ for the sally's  in no time and Chicago Storm can float around with his wine cooler in his pool without his full wetsuit on once we go above normal for a good while starting sunday.

Love the steam and tree reflections on the water in those pics, Bo..  Foliage well on their way to changing to :P

Grayling is often a Michigan state cold spot. I drive through there many winter mornings and along I-75 its not uncommon to drop to double digit below zero figures when surrounding areas are 0 or above.

I hit 45 on my PWS and Howell airport hit 46, that's the coldest reading since June 19th.

wuss alert in here..  inland lakes should pop back up to a very comfortable 77+ for the sally's  in no time and Chicago Storm can float around with his wine cooler in his pool without his full wetsuit on once we go above normal for a good while starting sunday.

Love the steam and tree reflections on the water in those pics, Bo..  Foliage well on their way to changing to :P

If water turns my lips and dick blue, i'm wussn' out! :P

And with sun angle lower and coolerlonger nights, I don't think inland lake temps will just "pop" back up.

Days are plenty long enough yet (except for theTraverse City Area where they''ll be raking foliage up Labor Day Weekend) for Inland Lakes to have zero problem popping back up to comfortable 77ish temps for the Southern Sally Transplants with a week of 80's pushing 90+.    

Next 2 and hopefully 3 weekends look to be primo up north COC weather for those on a family week vacation to the their lake cabins or resorts. Previous 3 weeks naso much.

We've had less 80+ degree days so far this summer  than 2009 but more 85+ degree days

Dipped to 50° here this morning. House is in the mid 60s right now.

All the Great Lakes have dipped to near or under 2009's temperatures now.

After this boring summer and last yrs meh winter up here, WIwx will really lose it if we follow with  a 2009/10 like winter. 

Be curious where we sit after Aug.  This yr august looks to end  torchy and 2009 it was cold.  Sept 2009 was around avg high temps but, +2 low temps.  Oct cold.  Nov Torch.

Looks like August will go out in style like the last 3. Hot and sticky. Hopefully we can pop some good T storms.

Hot like sub 85? I don't see it going over 85 for the rest of the summer, models look like 80-83 tops. Western Wisconsin looks warm, but the trough keeps the real heat west of Lake Michigan.

Today running as cool as yesterday. Only 65° right now with partly sunny skies.

I don't think there will be large areas of 70s showing up in any of the Great Lakes this season. Beach areas could very well hit upper 70s like you said BowMe, but overall I think 73ish and under outside of very near shore waters.

Thought this satellite image was worth capturing. Cumulus field pattern is pretty awesome looking and the lake effect "plume" over Lake MI is cool too!

Just noticed the stable air downwind of Lake Winnebago in WI.

DTW missed the record low by 3F. They sat at 51F for over 3 consecutive hours but that ended up being the low (not the 3F intrahour bump we see when challenging a record high lol). Of course tons of 40s in the area this morning.

That's what I love about Wundermap, I like to check out the outlying areas to see the real temp.... Most were 47-49.

What I would give for a PWS right here.

Today running as cool as yesterday. Only 65° right now with partly sunny skies.

I don't think there will be large areas of 70s showing up in any of the Great Lakes this season. Beach areas could very well hit upper 70s like you said BowMe, but overall I think 73ish and under outside of very near shore waters.

Agree about great lakes but i was talking about inland lakes, especially  down here will have no trouble spiking back up to a comfortable 77+ if this warm up has legs.

09-10 wasn't great but it wasn't horrible either. Not an extreme torch, we just missed the area of heaviest snow to the north of all things. Now if we get an 11-12 repeat then it's bridge jumping time.

pixie dust nickle and dime dec/feb and record - AO of 2009,  yuck... might as well be just as miserable and just torch like 11-12.

The storm around February 9th of that winter was quality, nearly a foot of medium density snow.

That storm sucked here until the last hr or two unless you like watching sugar fall from the sky for 12 hrs.  Gawd what a frustrating IMBY storm.

About 1.35" of precip from dec 26th through feb.. you'd jump

Agree about great lakes but i was talking about inland lakes, especially  down here will have no trouble spiking back up to a comfortable 77+ if this warm up has legs.

Ah! Missed that keyword, "inland". Yeah inland lake should be good for swimming for awhile. 

Only 67° for today. Lows heading back towards 50° tonight.

Entire sub-forum still below normal. Going to take quite a warm up to end up + this month!

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

Hot like sub 85? I don't see it going over 85 for the rest of the summer, models look like 80-83 tops. Western Wisconsin looks warm, but the trough keeps the real heat west of Lake Michigan.

Disagree. The Detroit area will surely see at least a couple, if not more, days of 85+. The models may not show it happening in the next seven days, but there's still 3-4 weeks after that where it's plausible.

Heater ftw.

Never hit 70º on the hourly readings at LAF today. The six hour max temp report at 8:00pm...72º. Classic LAF.

It's felt like Fall the past two days, with the clouds and cool temps and all. Love it.

Anyway, looks seasonably warm to close out the month. Don't see big heat on any of the credible guidance, as of now.

Archived