• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

Well i was hoping the gfs yest was on to something developing a wave about to emerge off africa bc ill be in newport the 30,31, and 1 (in 8 days) but it drop'd it.

Btw that made me think of some ignorant statements i hear people make about beaches along ne mass coast " oh ya theres good surf at hampton , last summer ...." , "ya gloucester has big waves ..." Thats like me saying ya "boston has cold temperatures". There are waves when a storm points winds genersting swell in your direction (swell window). If u saw them last year when u were at beach it was because there happend to be a storm positioned offshore or there was enough of a fetch and duration of prevailing ocean winds... Not bc "xyz beach has big waves" i.e lots of times its flat as a pancake

its been a pond during the heat wave. Dickies Beach in front of the Windjammer at Misquamicut is the best down there, speaking of the Windjammer check out the bar, surf theme with pics etc of locals, most of them are the old guys I grew up with. Good food too

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i was hoping the gfs yest was on to something developing a wave about to emerge off africa bc ill be in newport the 30,31, and 1 (in 8 days) but it drop'd it.

Btw that made me think of some ignorant statements i hear people make about beaches along ne mass coast " oh ya theres good surf at hampton , last summer ...." , "ya gloucester has big waves ..." Thats like me saying ya "boston has cold temperatures". There are waves when a storm points winds genersting swell in your direction (swell window). If u saw them last year when u were at beach it was because there happend to be a storm positioned offshore or there was enough of a fetch and duration of prevailing ocean winds... Not bc "xyz beach has big waves" i.e lots of times its flat as a pancake

There are many variables to why some beaches would have bigger waves. Inlets and areas that have steeper rises of the seabed towards the shore may channel larger waves, the direction the beach is facing could make it either more or less susceptible to an offshore flow so some beaches do have better surfing conditions than others. I know what you mean though with people labeling certain beaches as good ones because the surf was good when they visited.

Ya mob1 exactly.

I mean ruggles in newport is a known big wave break partially bc the bottom drops off quickly (since its sort of at a point) so when there is a large loong period swell the surf doesnt close out and crumble and it can "handle any size swell the atlantic throws at it"

ok so it's still muggy . 67 dew point in boston with a temp of 70 outside....maybe get a low temp in boston of 68 tonite.

wish I was in SLK  . forecast low of 40 . what a difference in dew points once you get well into NNE. that is where the nice wx is.

I know jerry knows what i'm saying.

gimme a pattern change where 128/495 is in the mid 50's at nite

ok so it's still muggy . 67 dew point in boston with a temp of 70 outside....maybe get a low temp in boston of 68 tonite.

wish I was in SLK  . forecast low of 40 . what a difference in dew points once you get well into NNE. that is where the nice wx is.

I know jerry knows what i'm saying.

gimme a pattern change where 128/495 is in the mid 50's at nite

Yeah in October. Maybe September where you are. It is pretty humid out. DPs should remain in low to mid 60s though this week.

Looks like the summer pattern illustrating why it's been hard to shake the high dews. Next step is for the deep trof to fill and the WAR to return. I'm calling 8/7-14 as the next big heat siege but it could be sooner.

Are u going/at the beach. You gotta get east of ct and basically west of westport mass. There will be leftovers tommorrow am but i wouldnt count on it lasting thru the day

We almost went to Watch Hill RI today but the weather looked questionable there.  Hopefully next weekend...

A little realism here.

Low of 64F for TAN so the DP did manage to get down to 64F but it is now back up to 69F.  Sticky air still.

Honestly looking forward to the rains later this week.

Break from the monotony of this.

It is still "sticky" but they are lower than dp's in the mid-70s and temps in the 90s like we had.  I think the dp's were progged to be a little lower than they are, but I wasn't expecting 40s and 50s.  I am expecting the "high dews" folks to be claiming I told you so and so forth until another front passes on Wednesday.  It definitely is not that old pattern.

Around 50 degrees at the house this morning....SLK put up a 42F spot. Hoping for low-mid 40s later this week. SLK deep into the 30s on Thursday morning on the GFS.

Beautiful day though...got long pants and a jacket on at 3,700ft, sitting in the breeze on the top of the Gondola (literally), feeling comfortable and not sweating FTW.

994548_10151479352042382_545362197_n.jpg

Around 50 degrees at the house this morning....SLK put up a 42F spot. Hoping for low-mid 40s later this week. SLK deep into the 30s on Thursday morning on the GFS.

Beautiful day though...got long pants and a jacket on at 3,700ft, sitting in the breeze on the top of the Gondola (literally), feeling comfortable and not sweating FTW.

The boundary between dp's in the 40s and 50s seems to be about 100 miles north of here.  My morning low was 63°....Nice to see you guys getting some relief.  I think we'll be moving in that direction later this week as well.  It's nice to be in a pattern with changing weather instead of stagnant same ole weather for days and days.

So much for the big cooldown....dews are back to 70 here...it lasted all of 12 hrs...hey at aleast double the last "cold front"

Do you know what the climo for dews is down in that area in July? I have to think its rare for the south shore of CT to see 50s in July. That would probably translate to dews in the 30s up here.

Archived