• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

But you can see from those temps how unrealistic it is for people to expect 51F crisp lows in SNE sans places like decently elevated rad spots. It really undermines the whole silly debate of whether we are in a new pattern or not because we aren't getting highs of 73 with lows of 51 in late July. Late July and early August is generally the warmest/muggiest combo part of the summer for us. So essentially we need record low temps to satisfy the requirements some seem to throw out there.

A little perspective is always nice. We really don't seem to get a great chance for that type of airmass until after mid August. Usually the final 10-12 days of August has one of those nights where you "feel" autumn trying to come in.

Yeah good points all-around. That 73/51 you cited was what we had yesterday and it was like -10F for up here, two counties south of Canada...so down there that translates to record territory.

But yes, the a new cooler pattern doesn't mean October is coming in...which is what some have been fighting, saying it won't be a pattern change unless its weeks of dry, cold/crisp NW flow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. I do...here's a copy from my data:

So you have records in the low (42) to mid 40s in late July...that sounds more what I was thinking for the country side spots away from the cities and exposed hilltops. I gotta imagine that would be similar in Litchfield/ORH Hills as well as the Berkshire valleys.

That's interesting.  I didn't know that they used 8/1 instead of 7/1 like they do for snow and heating and cooling degree days.

I've seen 8/1 and 7/1 both referenced in journals, but in terms of the data NCDC puts out, it says they use August 1st as the start of the season. For most applications it doesn't matter as long as you know your data and what it means for computing an average first sub-50 date for a place like CON which has them year round versus somewhere like BDL where there is a distinct sub-50-low-free period during the climatological peak.

I think of them as "hump intervals" -- basically, something comes along that triggers the decent or ascent.    Back-breaker occurrences...that herald in seasonal change.

I don't get the feeling that we've humped this summer yet.  This is a nice heat recession, but I don't think I remember hump interval as early as July over the years.  Usually it's right around the 15th of August +- 10days

Again, can't really say much but it was a combo of things that led to his demise. Brilliant mind, not so brilliant attitude/agenda.

Hard to explain on here for certain reasons...could be a GTG topic though.

he's a charlatan who takes advantage of people's emotions

8:7-14 will come torch big time IMHO.

You keeping an eye on the WAR around that time? I was looking at that but it depends on how far it retrogrades west. Humidity will be back for sure.

The pattern this summer had been building followed by receding for up to 2 weeks but it tends to stay humid either way.

the meso models really blow up a lot of heavy rain / thunder late this afternoon and tonight from NJ into CT, W / C MA and NYS.

think it makes sense.

there's some low-level lift with the warm front lifting back through the area and can see the big theta-e ridge running back up the coast (pwats get back over 2" in a lot of spots). decent short-wave too.  

someone could score some pretty hefty totals. maybe just west of NE though. 

the meso models really blow up a lot of heavy rain / thunder late this afternoon and tonight from NJ into CT, W / C MA and NYS.

think it makes sense.

there's some low-level lift with the warm front lifting back through the area and can see the big theta-e ridge running back up the coast (pwats get back over 2" in a lot of spots). decent short-wave too.  

someone could score some pretty hefty totals. maybe just west of NE though.

We usually do pretty well in these setups up here since we do so well at keeping those warm sfc frontal boundaries just to our south while still having 2.00" PWATs.

yeah i never would have considered a 65F dew to be dry really but after enduring mid 70s for an eternity, it feels pretty good. i think it was jerry who was noting how quickly the body adjusts...very true. feels "comfortable" for a change. 

Yeah, I've been mentioning how it'll feel quite chilly once the temps and dews drop into the low 60s, after close to a month of upper 60s and low 70s for mins.  We do adjust fairly quickly...

yeah i never would have considered a 65F dew to be dry really but after enduring mid 70s for an eternity, it feels pretty good. i think it was jerry who was noting how quickly the body adjusts...very true. feels "comfortable" for a change.

Yeah, I've been mentioning how it'll feel quite chilly once the temps and dews drop into the low 60s, after close to a month of upper 60s and low 70s for mins. We do adjust fairly quickly...

Not only that, here in DC with 90/70 it doesn't feel that bad after last week in Boston.

Yeah, I've been mentioning how it'll feel quite chilly once the temps and dews drop into the low 60s, after close to a month of upper 60s and low 70s for mins. We do adjust fairly quickly...

Not only that, here in DC with 90/70 it doesn't feel that bad after last week in Boston.

Actually, fukking roasting!

I've had a light jacket on all day at 55-60 degrees up on Mansfield...in March/April/May those temps are shorts and t-shirt, sweating. After last week it feels pretty chilly, haha.

I've had a light jacket on all day at 55-60 degrees up on Mansfield...in March/April/May those temps are shorts and t-shirt, sweating. After last week it feels pretty chilly, haha.

lol, yeah, funny how it works that way! 

I guess that's how people across the country adjust to those "south Georgia" type summers...

Archived