• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Christmas Storm

Cold Rain

beat me to it.... they mentioned during the lunch news that there was potential to see some flakes flying around.

Not surprising. I would suspect the local station that talks about a Christmas snow could expect a spike in viewers, no? I imagine they will al start to at least mention it. They cant afford not to.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt' sweat the QPF amounts. Even in .50 to .75" amount liquid, theres going to be some good ratios on the north sheild. During 1988 (colder aloft I know) the storm only dropped about .25" or so if I recall, yet that was widespread 10" to 15" amounts. If youre in the north side, the amounts are going to be good I think. The models continue getting colder beause the NF vortex is so strong. The wave in the Southwest coming into Texas is due east the whole track. Its a golden setup, great overunning, and great qpf maker, even though its not labeled as that yet, It will be over time I think. Excellent divergence as well. Still the biggest question is the northenr stream.

This Euro is looking very similar to the CMC- would be snow for a lot of folks including far north and NE Georgia, probably just a very close miss here. If this is true a Xmas road trip up to the NE part of the state seems in order...

It really does look like we're on the razor's edge here. We need this thing to come just a bit farther south to give us a bit of a margin to work with. Still very encouraging signs on the 12Z models.

This was a terrific run indeed. Much better than what I thought the 12z would do. If we were a tad closer to the date of the event, I would get pretty excited about this, but for now, let's be glad that it's still being shown here. We have a lot on the table to work with, and it seems to be all coming together for what could be a nice snowy hit for parts of the SE during Christmas. Let's see what the 18z runs of the other modeling has to say about this, shall we?

:thumbsup::snowman:

I'll take this is a dream run. Love the track of all teh features involved, and for LOTS of the southeast, you' cant beat this. of course not every single location wil hit the jackpot, but this is the best setup to give many of us the most possible. A greatest common denominator. I'd say the snow DOES get to ATL but they re ont eh line verbatim, the trend though is a little colder. With the surface low so far south, their in the Game but a safer bet now is the I-20 and north. Its overall very remininscent of Jan 88 but without a jetstreak ahead of the overrunning, dont know haven't seen that yet. The GGEM had the looks for sure. Great run, we can worry about amounts later. If the phase is later and not aas strong, then it won't be a big time dumping snow, but some places getting over 6" is a good snowstorm in my opinion. The fact it starts in less than 5 days is great as well. Hopefully things trend better and better. You' can't ask for a better past 24 hours of model watching, ever , probably for the Southeast.

When is Atlanta not on the line ?

It really does look like we're on the razor's edge here. We need this thing to come just a bit farther south to give us a bit of a margin to work with. Still very encouraging signs on the 12Z models.

At face value the Canadian and Euro both look good for you. Enjoy these runs while we have them.

Cheeze, not to be fical, but the CMC at face value would be a hit for the NE burbs... even looks I-20 northward at the 12Z mark on Christmas day.

One thing is for sure, the trend has come south.... I hate being on that fine line, a ton of models between now and Saturday for sure. At least we are in the game.

When I said here, I meant my house in the heart of the city. The NE burbs are certainly in play on these runs. I may not have to drive far, but lets tone down the excitement for now, a lot of time/model runs to go.

Greater than .50" eastern Carolinas and eastern cntrl GA, and over .75" in much of central OK, even over 1" near OKC (inverted trough will slam them) Theres a min area near western Tenn and central VA, otherwise for the SE crew its betwee.35" and .50" from what I can gather. If it goes neg. tilt a smidge earlier then it would be a stunner of a snowstorm in the Southeast, no doubt . But we don't know the degree of phasing yet.

It's a good setup. Hard to find many pitfalls. The only caveat I see at this point, is the degree and timing of the phase. If it becomes clear by wednesday or so a phase is likely, don't be surprised to see this SLP bump slowly north as we get closer, especially along the gulf coast. Just something I have seen happen many times over the years. The odds of this being a purely snow scenario this early in dec is unlikely. I think we're looking at a great storm, don't get me wrong, but be cautious on the precip types.

It would probably be fun to visit the Mid-Atlantic and Philly threads about now, while we are whooping it up about this run, they are likely not too happy...:devilsmiley:

Seriously, there is a long way to go here folks- but at this point the trend is certainly our friend....

I'm glad I'll be a temporary member of your subforum during the holidays. At least I'm glad for now...

When I said here, I meant my house in the heart of the city. The NE burbs are certainly in play on these runs. I may not have to drive far, but lets tone down the excitement for now, a lot of time/model runs to go.

I might as well say what every single person on this board is thinking........this has to be too good to be true........... but hey, crazy past two winters here, so why not??? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It's a good setup. Hard to find many pitfalls. The only caveat I see at this point, is the degree and timing of the phase. If it becomes clear by wednesday or so a phase is likely, don't be surprised to see this SLP bump slowly north as we get closer, especially along the gulf coast. Just something I have seen happen many times over the years. The odds of this being a purely snow scenario this early in dec is unlikely. I think we're looking at a great storm, don't get me wrong, but be cautious on the precip types.

Since when is December 25th "this early in December"? We already had an all snow even with a clipper and above freezing temps on the 4th.

Greater than .50" eastern Carolinas and eastern cntrl GA, and over .75" in much of central OK, even over 1" near OKC (inverted trough will slam them) Theres a min area near western Tenn and central VA, otherwise for the SE crew its betwee.35" and .50" from what I can gather. If it goes neg. tilt a smidge earlier then it would be a stunner of a snowstorm in the Southeast, no doubt . But we don't know the degree of phasing yet.

This would be something if my drive from I-495 (Long Island Expressway) straight down to I-95 through NC would be white. I am planning on driving down the 27th but may have to delay abit if the models are correct so the roads clear. Interesting solutions showing up.

Analogous to football

The Euro has scored two big touchdowns in a row for the SE team. However, as the coach would say-“It’s only practice”. The big game is this weekend. Need to perfect that same play many times over during the upcoming practice week.

Since when is December 25th "this early in December"? We already had an all snow even with a clipper and above freezing temps on the 4th.

Meant "early in the winter". All snow from a Miller A in December is unlikely. Especially in GA and SC. If this were January 25, it would be more believable.

I'm pretty amazed at how close most of the models are now at days 4 through 6. Its almost unbelievable to have this much agreement. A few miles is to be expected but they're really clustered tight that the Southeast and Tenn Valley is in for a snowy Christmas (Christmas Eve in part of Tenn/ky/Miss/Ark). If the 5H holds up like the Euro suggest, i'd expect the Qpf to really ramp up. Theres great divergence ahead of it, and very far north, unlike this past weekend weak wave event, so the breakout of overrunning moisture could be a lot faster than progged. Also, the last Jan30 storm did this same thing. Well ahead of schedule. Of course the dry slot came in for western SC and southern NC too quick. Lets keep convection out of this one.

Archived