northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Christmas Storm

Cold Rain

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the UKMET, GGEM have converged futher south, along with GFS op. going further south, and the ensembles as well. The GGEM is very much like the 00Z Euro last night. Be sure to ignore the precip panels and qpf amounts at this range. Wahts important is the southerly tracking vort, the inverted trough, the big high to the north (it won't be as high as the overdone GGEM though), and good gulf tap of overunning. In fact the GGEM has overrunning the baroclinic boundary in the Tenn Valley pretty quick, starting Christmas Eve. That track would be a big snowfall for the Tenn. Valley, Arkansas northern Miss, Ala, and right to about ATL or atleast its northern suburbs, northwest half of SC and much of central and western NC probably to near the coast. Also, I think with the 5H stacking in Ohio, this would pull up the coast in Nor'easter fashion, like the Euro last night. The reason the GEM doesnt' do it is because already a new s/w is approaching southern California. This is an excellent snowstorm setup along I-40 and a couple hundred miles north and south of it in general, with the axis of best lift going from Okalahoma, Ark, Tenn, Ky, NC, SC, north Miss, Ala, GA and eastern to central VA. On Christmas Day no less.

Hopefully the Euro holds its ground. The iffy part is always how the northern stream interacts with the southern stream.

Allan, Wanted to let you know that we appreciate your thoughts. Also, I enjoy looking at your research.

Also, the 88 storm (I was 9) was the best one of my life...So far!

I remember being trapped in my aunt's condo in Greensboro during that one. That was the last time I experienced a foot of snow.

the UKMET, GGEM have converged futher south, along with GFS op. going further south, and the ensembles as well. The GGEM is very much like the 00Z Euro last night. Be sure to ignore the precip panels and qpf amounts at this range. Wahts important is the southerly tracking vort, the inverted trough, the big high to the north (it won't be as high as the overdone GGEM though), and good gulf tap of overunning. In fact the GGEM has overrunning the baroclinic boundary in the Tenn Valley pretty quick, starting Christmas Eve. That track would be a big snowfall for the Tenn. Valley, Arkansas northern Miss, Ala, and right to about ATL or atleast its northern suburbs, northwest half of SC and much of central and western NC probably to near the coast. Also, I think with the 5H stacking in Ohio, this would pull up the coast in Nor'easter fashion, like the Euro last night. The reason the GEM doesnt' do it is because already a new s/w is approaching southern California. This is an excellent snowstorm setup along I-40 and a couple hundred miles north and south of it in general, with the axis of best lift going from Okalahoma, Ark, Tenn, Ky, NC, SC, north Miss, Ala, GA and eastern to central VA. On Christmas Day no less.

Hopefully the Euro holds its ground. The iffy part is always how the northern stream interacts with the southern stream.

Great info!! You called the Euro last night Foothills! Do you prophecize another big hit today? :P

Unless it goes well south of you...I'm in for a cold rain also :wub: That's quite alright though as my eyes are also on the storm around New Years :drunk: I don't think I have ever drunk posted before...and if it happens...well...I'll just say that Jose will be doing the talking for me :lol:

Plenty of time for the low to get right...and get down to Fla. If not, well, we can enjoy our rain and make up drinking songs about how much we wish N.C. would share the snow...just once :)

Another warm day here...48.5, 49.8, and 50...take your pick. T

Crazy. Been a long time then!

88,93, 03 (in boone) was the only times I have been in 12" +.

This is going to be a long freaking week folks........

very much so. March 93 ended with about 8-9, though the drifts were well over 1 ft in places. Jan 96 ended with 7-8". Feb 04 with 9" In Statesville.

Great info!! You called the Euro last night Foothills! Do you prophecize another big hit today? :P

LOL its hard to "predict" what the models are going to predict.:wacko: But I think if it stays south coming into Cali, then it would end up good for the Southeast and MidAtlantic. However, I don't see how it could look any better than last nights run. Its going to be hard to get a better look,literally, so probably this run won't look as perfect. Still I'm expecting it to be similar to GGEM atleast. Good event, no matter what, and if for some wild reason we can get the phasing to occur over th Tenn Valley, and neg. tilt while the surface low is in southern Georgia, this would end up being the snow event of many of us for a lifetime down here,( outside the areas that were ground zero March 93.)

We'll see, think positive.:)

Canadian at 120 hours with color! Looks very good.

I_nw_g1_EST_2010122012_120.png

Awfully pretty. Wish this was 24 hours out instead of 4.5 to 5 days. The models haven't been very impressive this year so I'm awfully cautious about getting even luke warm about a storm being shown 5 days away.

But it would be nice to get something out of all this cold weather.

I_nw_g1_EST_2010122012_114.png

Is this good for ATL>? Thanks for all your map help....:snowman::snowman:

Stuff like this is not cool either. Questions like this are answered already in the discussion 9/10 times. Plus, it's futile to list specific places likely to get anything this far in advance. If after all the discussion and there is no meaningful discussion of your *general area*, then these questions are ok. Otherwise, try not to..especially at this range. Thanks.

Archived