Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part II

free_man

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in the HV below ALB then and we only got 10 inches, but I do recall up to 4 feet in the Catskills. ...I assume they did pretty well here also.

Yup.  The worst part of the ever-improving resolution of weather models is constantly getting freaked out by modeled downslope.  It almost never verifies as extreme as the mesos, but even the globals depict it these days.  The NAM should offer encouragement that somehow we are still in the game in the HV.  But I'm plagued by the feeling that we'll be in the snowhole between the occlusion and hooking of the SLP, and even if NW solutions verify, there are still downsloping and temp issues to worry about.

I'm guessing you don't mind comparisons to Dec 1992.

I was in the HV below ALB then and we only got 10 inches, but I do recall up to 4 feet in the Catskills. ...I assume they did pretty well here also.

I was south of Poughkeepsie, at 200ft, and we did great... like 14."  The Hudson Highlands did even better, though it rarely shows up on historical snowfall maps due to spare obs.  At the time, lacking the sort of details the internet provides nowadays, I figured everyone north of me did great.  But I also had no idea that the Catskills got clobbered.  The localized orographic effects can be amazing.

Can I start my qpf-whining yet?  NAM gives GC the scroogie again. lol

Scott--is there a general threshold where you say the airport closes or airlines say 'cancel'?  Beginning to have some doubts about Thursday a.m.

LOL you can tell who has flights out this week, you and me.  All fun and games until we're helping Kevin sculpt his snowbanks instead of vacationing.

LOL you can tell who has flights out this week, you and me.  All fun and games until we're helping Kevin sculpt his snowbanks instead of vacationing.

No kidding, I love snow as much as any of you...but once it starts screwing with my travel plans we become foes. Leaving boston thursday afternoon is continuing to look less likely.

Can I start my qpf-whining yet?  NAM gives GC the scroogie again. lol

Scott--is there a general threshold where you say the airport closes or airlines say 'cancel'?  Beginning to have some doubts about Thursday a.m.

You'll already start seeing delays as big hubs like MSP and ORD get snow tonight. So it's not as simple as the airport you might be flying out of.

3 closed contours at 500 mb as a surface low emerges off the VA coast with a 1034 hp to the north. I couldn't have drawn it better.

What I don't like is that the h5 low and surface low are already on top of each other at 48hrs.  That limits the future deepening and introduces all sorts of ways this could bust negatively.  It does look fairly close to the NAM though... maybe a hair south and stronger.  The firehose scenario is alive and well for EMA.

Archived