Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2013 OBS

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Dunwoody, the snow is now flying on strong winds! Third day in five with snow here! It is beautiful to see falling. The winds are absolutely howling....gusts probably near 50 mph... like a squall line with snow!

Edit 2:44 AM: absolutely pouring snow now! It is accumulating on the rail of the deck now. Wow! Also, on some of the grass.

2:47 AM: letting up.... But wow, that was awesome!

Holy crap SNOW!!! Really coming down. Almost like a mini blizzard.

I missed it but radar showed even returns made it here with that one. So I'm pretty sure some snow fell here,

I did just have about a 2 or 3 minute flizzard a few minutes ago. Was pretty to look at while it lasted, it was actually coming down pretty good for a minute. Not enough to even coat the vehicles though, even though it's 33. But a nice surprise.

Am  Hoping for some more as there are lots of clouds around with one dark band about to get here but it's a short window I'm sure. Latest IR shows clearing along 85 now. (although as quickly as I typed that, first visible images shows more clouds quickly coming behind the clearing and what looks like very slightly higher cloud tops surprisingly vs areas to the west..might be deceiving though with higher sun here). Might also be a small disturbance moving through as there was a good area of colder cloud tops in east tn, which even still are normally broke up by the mountains, but latest ir image even shows it making into ne ga.

At any rate, highly unusual to see even clouds here in a post frontal situation, much less snow showers. Part of it i'm sure is the more northerly, instead of westerly component to the cloud cover/showers but Models did show a decent amount of 850 to even 700 rh moving through last night for a time but figured, at best, it would be just a few clouds. Latest rap does show another "surge" of 850mb Rh in a few hours but it's very brief sonot sure if it will amount to anything.

Sad and pathetic to be happy over something so minuscule  given what's going on in the stinking mid atlantic.

I had a couple more spells of light flurries but nothing to write home about. I think that's all I'll get.

Big story is the ridiculous wind. I've had a bunch of gusts into the mid 30s. (highest gust 36mph). Wonder if we will get higher winds once the clouds break (already happening) and we warm up (42 now)

The temps busted pretty bad in north georgia today.  A lot are still in the 30s when we were supposed to be in the mid to upper 40s.  TWC had us at 50 last night.

yeah this is the coldest day I remember in a long time esp with the wind.

Awoke today to 29 degrees and large flake flurries. Wind was stiff with a windchill in the teens. Ice was all over the ground until 10 a.m. Never got above 42 today, and is already down to 37. Here's a pic I made just after noon today looking toward the mountains around Lake Lure from the Rutherford-McDowell County line. It was snowing over the lake. This has felt like my coldest day all season.

post-8754-0-87914900-1362612152_thumb.jp

Archived