• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2013 OBS

WilkesboroDude

Awoke today to 29 degrees and large flake flurries. Wind was stiff with a windchill in the teens. Ice was all over the ground until 10 a.m. Never got above 42 today, and is already down to 37. Here's a pic I made just after noon today looking toward the mountains around Lake Lure from the Rutherford-McDowell County line. It was snowing over the lake. This has felt like my coldest day all season.

Cool pic. What road is that if you don't mind me asking?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 degrees at 7 a.m.  Asheville airport, just 23 miles west, showing 27.  Sugar Mountain sitting at 19. Noticed that Sugar stopped making snow five days ago, even though temps have remained below freezing most of that time. New snow this week makes the slopes the best of the season, but it looks like management has decided to curtail skiing after Sunday, no matter what.  Seems such a waste of rare late season snows and cold. 

Looks like it will be a beautiful weekend here with highs in the mid 60's and sunny skies  ^_^   

Maybe some showers on Monday/Tuesday :wub: 

CAE.....

.LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...THE EXTENDED FORECAST FEATURES A WEATHER SYSTEM IMPACTING THEFORECAST AREA EARLY NEXT WEEK FOLLOWED BY TRANQUIL WEATHER MID TOLATE WEEK.MEDIUM RANGE MODELS ARE ADVERTISING A LONGWAVE TROUGH PUSHINGEASTWARD ACROSS THE OHIO AND MISSISSIPPI VALLEYS ON MONDAY WITH ASURFACE LOW TRACKING NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKESREGION.  THE TRAILING COLD FRONT IS EXPECTED TO PUSH ACROSS THEFORECAST AREA MONDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY TUESDAY BRINGING RAINFALL TOTHE REGION.  PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE TOAROUND 1.25 INCHES JUST AHEAD OF THE FRONT AND THERE APPEARS TO BEREASONABLE DYNAMICAL SUPPORT IN THE FORM OF THE LEFT EXIT REGION OFTHE UPPER JET. DIFFERENCES IN TIMING BETWEEN THE GFS AND ECMWF LEADTO SLIGHTLY BELOW AVERAGE CONFIDENCE ON WHEN THE BULK OF ANYPRECIPITATION WILL FALL BUT IT DOES APPEAR THAT THE FORECAST AREAWILL SEE SOME RAIN BETWEEN 00Z TUESDAY AND 00Z WEDNESDAY.  WILLCONTINUE LIKELY POPS DURING THE MONDAY NIGHT PERIOD WHERE CONFIDENCEIS HIGHEST IN MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION.THE REMAINDER OF THE EXTENDED FORECAST LOOKS DRY WITH SURFACE HIGHPRESSURE BUILDING INTO THE REGION AND GENERALLY ZONAL FLOW ALOFT.TEMPERATURES SHOULD BE AT OR SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMAL THROUGH THE 

EXTENDED FORECAST PERIODS. 

Awoke today to 29 degrees and large flake flurries. Wind was stiff with a windchill in the teens. Ice was all over the ground until 10 a.m. Never got above 42 today, and is already down to 37. Here's a pic I made just after noon today looking toward the mountains around Lake Lure from the Rutherford-McDowell County line. It was snowing over the lake. This has felt like my coldest day all season.

NIce pic and pretty area. When I go up to Asheville I sometimes take the long way back to SC on 74A through Lake Lure. Amazing scenery...even in a snowless winter.  I'm gonna have to take that road sometime down from 40. 

How much longer do you typically see snow potential up there?

April is usually always a given.

However, if you ready up on Grandfather Mountain History, since records have been kept there has been snow recorded at least once in history in each month of the year including June, July and August!

My mindest is that the varying climate in our mountains puts our upper balsam forest areas has having a climate similar to lower/central Canada.   It always fascinates me and I really get a kick out of the clean fresh air!   We are truly fortunate to have our mountains here n North Carolina.   It's not just Grandfather I enjoy, but Roan, Mitchell and the many other mountains that you could never find time to explore in a lifetime.

North Carolna actually has over 200 peaks greater than 5000' feet in elevation:

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=21455

oqvCFMz.png

Additional Information:

Earliest Fall Snow   September 10, 1964 Latest Spring Snow   May 27, 1961

I will have to hunt for the article that references snow being recorded in July on Grandfather.

April is usually always a given.

However, if you ready up on Grandfather Mountain History, since records have been kept there has been snow recorded at least once in history in each month of the year including June, July and August!

My mindest is that the varying climate in our mountains puts our upper balsam forest areas has having a climate similar to lower/central Canada.   It has always fascinated me and I really get a kick out of the clean fresh air!

Additional Information:

Earliest Fall Snow   September 10, 1964 Latest Spring Snow   May 27, 1961

I will have to hunt for the article that references snow being recorded in July on Grandfather.

You're in a great spot.

My temps have rebounded slightly today to a swampy 49 degrees.  I'm curious as to whether or not this weekend warm up will be as advertised.

Archived