joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th threat - to be discussed in time, but it should tend to more Miller B

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meaning sleety or zr? Ice on ice events in late Feb here. I bet that's fairly rare this late in season

Ice events in late Feb arent THAT rare...it might seem counter intuitive with the higher sun angle and such, but the CAD has been better established by late winter. We had a pretty bad ice storm here on 3/2/07...a really bad region wide ice storm (including downtown BOS) on 2/28/95 and another bad in early March 1991. We also had a nuisance ice event on 2/28/11...granted that one wasn't bad down there south of the pike...but they do happen. They aren't as common as mid Dec to early Jan...but they can happen. The airmass isn't great, but the CAD potential is good if we can get a secondary lp form early enough and track south of us.

Ice events in late Feb arent THAT rare...it might seem counter intuitive with the higher sun angle and such, but the CAD has been better established by late winter. We had a pretty bad ice storm here on 3/2/07...a really bad region wide ice storm (including downtown BOS) on 2/28/95 and another bad in early March 1991. We also had a nuisance ice event on 2/28/11...granted that one wasn't bad down there south of the pike...but they do happen. They aren't as common as mid Dec to early Jan...but they can happen. The airmass isn't great, but the CAD potential is good if we can get a secondary lp form early enough and track south of us.

I just can't recall many ice events late Feb/ early March. Seems like either snow or sleet but not zr. Even this event surprised us as it didn't seem like zr profile was there yet many if us south of pike in hills are caking up

Tip shouldn't be allowed to start storm related threads. They seem to all under perform their potential. Bad juju

LOL.  Just don't pin the damn thing, and I think we'll do fine.  My take is that if the system has legs, the frequent posts to it will keep it at/very near the top of the list anyway.

For now, I'm thinking a couple inches before a mix over to rain.  Perhaps a little backend snow which won't amount to anything out here.  Messy, messy, messy.

30.5/30

huh we need a bump east

I looked at the model differences over the last two days. The blocking sort of shifts east thanks to a weenie ULL near the Davis Straits. The flow out west also is a little more progressive..hence the east tick. Maybe it stops now, but the way things have gone..I don't think so. Eventually everything shifts west again later this week.

Archived