Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24th threat part deux

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez...Euro takes forever to shut off the snow over eastern half of SNE...you can see the potential it has trying to hang the steady snow back. The sfc reflection and baroclinic zone sort of outrun the best upper level support just barely...get that a bit more in synch and you will end up with a more wound up solution.

GEM...it pops late so E MA still gets in on the snow eventually, but not the faster thump I was hoping to see. Its amazing how one little wobble in the Greak Lakes ULL really affects the ultimate outcome. Euro at least has mostly been making minor wobbles the last 3 runs while other guidance seems to be jumping around more.

Meh, it's 8mb weaker roughly and dozens of miles east of the 0z run,which was weaker and less interesting than the previous run.  It doesn't go to the extremes but it's moving steadily towards MEH.

One more run in that direction and we're not looking at anything historic by any means.

overall...it's "OK"

it's not a crush job by any means. looks like the best snows would be ORH to BOS...maybe down into SE areas as well depending upon BL conditions. Highest precip definitely over E areas. best temps n and w.

it's really late in getting everything together

That's what concerns me. Otherwise many of us wasted QPF.

Jeez...Euro takes forever to shut off the snow over eastern half of SNE...you can see the potential it has trying to hang the steady snow back. The sfc reflection and baroclinic zone sort of outrun the best upper level support just barely...get that a bit more in synch and you will end up with a more wound up solution.

Seems like a lot of that could be wasted with marginal temps and daytime insolation issues this time of year. I'm picturing a moderate wet thumping Sat. night followed by hours of weenie flakes which struggle to accumulate.

Seems like a lot of that could be wasted with marginal temps and daytime insolation issues this time of year. I'm picturing a moderate wet thumping Sat. night followed by hours of weenie flakes which struggle to accumulate.

Temp wise, We are in better shape then others, That's not my concern, Its the qpf cuts, This takes forever to get its act together, Its well east when it does

Let's see what it does with the next storm. That might be the bigger deal.

Meh, it's 8mb weaker roughly and dozens of miles east of the 0z run,which was weaker and less interesting than the previous run.  It doesn't go to the extremes but it's moving steadily towards MEH.

One more run in that direction and we're not looking at anything historic by any means.

Folks should not be "disappointed" by the Euro solution.  It really falls much in line with a clear tempo that was established upon the 00z cycle across the spectrum of model types...

What folks should really be interested in is why is the NAM going so large.  It could owe to a finite resolution with the local frontal topography and how well various jet mechanics interact - remember, December 2005 the NAM scored a huge coup on that system, by seeing a much more discrete version of the low level thermal gradient; the steepness of the 1000 to 800mb frontal slope helped to really focus/tuck UVM farther NW of all other guidance - and well ... heh, we know how that worked out.  

It "could" be doing something similar here in seeing something the others aren't.   But all the while, and as we said at the thread outset ... the NAM is suspiciously over-baked with its QPF pending we figure out exactly what/why it is doing what it is doing. 

I'll stick with the Euro rather than go on a wild goose chase with other guidance...GFS/Ukie/GGEM all have made swings much mroe violent.

If you are asking for perfection from NWP guidance at 3 days out, then you'll be sorely disappointed. I'm looking mostly at the upper air as very small changes can lead to larger changes in the surface reflection.

The GFS was nice for us west of ALB with next weeks low. Of course that has plenty of time to trend east for run after run.

Warm, weak, dry, and east.  The superfecta.  For the far westerners, looks like light mix to light snow. T -3"

Roll the dice and try again tomorrow. 

Warm, weak, dry, and east.  The superfecta.  For the far westerners, looks like light mix to light snow. T -3"

Roll the dice and try again tomorrow. 

Archived