• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 24th threat part deux

Typhoon Tip

I think they're going to bust pretty hard...surface temps are in the mid to upper 30s, much warmer than 850s along the southern Maine coastline right now. 0z GFS has 2-3 frames of .1" QPF, but that's light stuff falling during the day in late February with mild surface temperatures. The 0z NAM looked a lot better for Maine, but the profile is still pretty mild until tomorrow morning, which means some QPF will be wasted, and snow won't stick easily to a wet ground.

The area of 8-10" seems overdone. I would have gone a general 1-3" with 2-4" in the foothills, maybe 3-6" if you lean towards wetter guidance like the NAM. There's just not that much liquid left once the mid-levels cool as the coastal cranks, and surface temperatures are mild along the coastline.

i had it raining or a mix or rain or snow in portland most of the night and little or snow accums. When the big omegas kick in the sfc temps will not be in the mid 30s. They will dynamically cool to around 32 which in reflected in the grids.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm not exactly bullish south of NH (not North Haven) anyway, but if the lift progs are correct the snowfall rates will overcome boundary layer issues. If it snows hard enough it will accumulate. And I do think we get there, but as you say it may only end up being a few inches on the immediate coast because of waste QPF prior to the more intense rates.

Yeah rates almost always trump temps.  This would be one of those really fun wildcard surprise snows if people hadn't gotten primed for something bigger.  The lift prog graphics were cool.  And it seems to have been a consistent feature for several model runs in a row, especially the GFS.  I hope it works out.

. And Pete Bruchard tweeted this lol.

Classic, classic Pete right here:

Haters, do u holler @ the clouds and swing @ the wind? The weather is what it is. #alwayschanging #andiloveit

i don't like pete, his style def. annoys me in many ways also i don't think he is the cream of the crop but he gets paid the big bucks for a reason.....

anyhow euro weenie maps show no real accums for sne overnite except a spot 1-2 inches in a few weenie hills in orh county then it starts going to town for a 7-8hr period over portland maine and surrounding areas of SE nh and mid coast maine. looks like 3-6 per euro for portland maine and foothills and surrounding areas with it starting around 10am or so.

if i was box i'd be thankful i cut back on accums and i'm not so sure there will be widespread 6+ in gyx areas. prolly isolated if rates impress which they look like they will.

temps have crept back up along the cp of ne mass about a degree or so

what a torch in the bl tommorrow along the cp where the rates blow 33-34 throughout the 495 corridor

and along the coast within 5 miles from pwm psm bvy to boston 36 or so in middle of nite with ne winds

Well PWM and PSM are east or east southeast right now. That map you posted is also the one from the evening update (9 PM or so). We're still messing with the next snowfall map, but it indeed is a tough forecast. Not exactly my forecast period, but I'm playing backseat driver.

I think they're going to bust pretty hard...surface temps are in the mid to upper 30s, much warmer than 850s along the southern Maine coastline right now. 0z GFS has 2-3 frames of .1" QPF, but that's light stuff falling during the day in late February with mild surface temperatures. The 0z NAM looked a lot better for Maine, but the profile is still pretty mild until tomorrow morning, which means some QPF will be wasted, and snow won't stick easily to a wet ground.

The area of 8-10" seems overdone. I would have gone a general 1-3" with 2-4" in the foothills, maybe 3-6" if you lean towards wetter guidance like the NAM. There's just not that much liquid left once the mid-levels cool as the coastal cranks, and surface temperatures are mild along the coastline. 

:lol:

When I know people have worked hard on a forecast and somebody who is envious calls out mets...it upsets me. GYX is probably better than many NE WFOs now including BOX.

That was uncalled for, Chris and Mike and the others do a great job at the WFO here, Especially on this one, It was no slam dunk, And to tell them they would bust when the trough had not even been established was wrong

Archived