joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's because the globals aren't phasing the Polar and Subtropical jet anymore, it will only take a small shift for that solution to come back and then we could have our blizzard again. It's common for models to have some magor shifts as we cross from the mid range to the short range too, especially as the storm comes over the North America obs network after being over open waters with little obs. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the blizzard solution to come back, it could just as easily get less impressive.

So no throwing in the towel yet?

I think this image pretty much sums this storm up

Haha I agree.

This storm just won't pan out for areas East of St. Louis to... ohhh say about Green Bay.

Like Harry mentioned earlier, this storm is too close to the northern jet to get much of a southern push to grab some of that gulf moisture and thus keeping the SLP alive, or better yet, stronger and pushing NE into Canada.

I for once this winter AM NOT SURPRISED. As soon as I saw this system a week ago I laughed, switched tabs back to YouTube and kept watching "The Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy".   :rolleyes:

I can recall some early occluders but I can't remember a storm that's so impressive in the Plains unraveling to the point where there's virtually zero QPF by the time it reaches 80W. 

edit: maybe less impressive than I thought. Looks like 12z GFS at its peak gets central pressure down to 996mb. I seem to recall earlier runs being deeper than this.

I can recall some early occluders but I can't remember a storm that's so impressive in the Plains unraveling to the point where there's virtually zero QPF by the time it reaches 80W. 

edit: maybe less impressive than I thought. Looks like 12z GFS at its peak gets central pressure down to 996mb. I seem to recall earlier runs being deeper than this.

Impressive enough though, that it dumps 12"+ snowfall amounts out there...then fizzles fairly quickly as it moves east.

12z GFS text for LAF. "Bullish" for front end snow. 

84 02/22 00Z   25     21     112      13    0.13  0.00    542    557   -1.7 -17.3 1018.8  99 -SN90 02/22 06Z   26     24     113       9    0.27  0.00    538    551   -1.6 -19.9 1016.5  97 -SN   96 02/22 12Z   27     26     112       5    0.02  0.00    539    551   -2.4 -20.4 1014.8  90 -FZRN102 02/22 18Z   33     33     182       4    0.01  0.00    540    553   -1.1 -20.9 1015.7  95 -RA 108 02/23 00Z   33     32     220       4    0.01  0.00    539    553   -1.6 -21.9 1016.0  99 -RA

The upper levels are looking more and more constipated. The upper level pattern is too much of a meandering mess such that whatever develops over the plains basically has no where to go so it just stacks up and fizzles. Should have known the models have a long range bias for making things too zonal/progressive.

12z Euro finally takes away most of the QPF from SW lower MI.  It has been rock steady with approximately 12mm of precip and now it dropped to under 5mm with the 12z run.  All of the other models have been drier and it looks like the Euro has finally joined the crowd.

Hah...tonight and tomorrow look much more exciting than Friday now.

The upper levels are looking more and more constipated. The upper level pattern is too much of a meandering mess such that whatever develops over the plains basically has no where to go so it just stacks up and fizzles. Should have known the models have a long range bias for making things too zonal/progressive.

Turtle's post last night hit the nail on the head about why the storm it is probably going to do what it's going to.

So we went from a progressive, runny pipeline to one that is all blocked up? :P yay.

Chicago

IT STILL APPEARS THAT THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL
FOR A DECENT BURST OF WARM ADVECTION FORCED SNOW THURSDAY AFTERNOON
AND EVENING BEFORE THE MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT OVERRUNS THE LOW LEVEL
OCCLUDED FRONTAL ZONE WHILE IT LIFTS ACROSS THE AREA LATER THURSDAY
NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AS THIS OCCURS...SATURATION IS LOST IN THE -10 C
AND COLDER LEVELS WHICH SUGGEST A LOSS OF ICE CRYSTAL PRODUCTION AND
THE POTENTIAL FOR PRECIP TO CHANGE OVER TO MORE OF A FREEZING
DRIZZLE SITUATION FROM SOUTH TO NORTH THURSDAY NIGHT/EARLY FRIDAY.
SNOWFALL AMOUNTS COULD EASILY END UP IN THE 3-5 INCH RANGE
ESPECIALLY NORTHWEST BEFORE TAPERING OFF TO LIGHT SNOW/FREEZING
DRIZZLE BY FRIDAY MORNING

Screw this. I hate it when I put thought into writing something out and then the site is ****ed up.

Are you talking about when sometimes you push post and it just thinks and thinks and thinks? That happens to me sometimes when posting from work. Just copy your text, press F5, paste it and try again. Usually that works for me. 

Archived