Chicago

IT STILL APPEARS THAT THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL

FOR A DECENT BURST OF WARM ADVECTION FORCED SNOW THURSDAY AFTERNOON

AND EVENING BEFORE THE MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT OVERRUNS THE LOW LEVEL

OCCLUDED FRONTAL ZONE WHILE IT LIFTS ACROSS THE AREA LATER THURSDAY

NIGHT AND FRIDAY. AS THIS OCCURS...SATURATION IS LOST IN THE -10 C

AND COLDER LEVELS WHICH SUGGEST A LOSS OF ICE CRYSTAL PRODUCTION AND

THE POTENTIAL FOR PRECIP TO CHANGE OVER TO MORE OF A FREEZING

DRIZZLE SITUATION FROM SOUTH TO NORTH THURSDAY NIGHT/EARLY FRIDAY.

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS COULD EASILY END UP IN THE 3-5 INCH RANGE

ESPECIALLY NORTHWEST BEFORE TAPERING OFF TO LIGHT SNOW/FREEZING

DRIZZLE BY FRIDAY MORNING.

I've been through those type of situations before. That's alright I'll take what I can get this week!

For sh**s and giggles.

nam_namer_084_precip_p60.gif

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not my connection. It could be something with the browser. I can't use the "quote" option and the post only goes through if I click "more reply options".

I find that this site works most smoothly with Chrome. Maybe restart your browser.

So we went from a progressive, runny pipeline to one that is all blocked up? :P yay.

Blocking in some places is good.  It just seems like there isn't enough wave separation or something.  Too much meridional flow everywhere mixes everything up so that the baroclinic potential ( i.e. N-S temperature-gradient ) doesn't have time to build up.  I just get the feeling that at this point even if the storm does trend towards phasing more with the subtropical jet it will just cut more, giving MN or Western WI a better dump but still nothing much for MI people.

Agreed, I was thinking around 3". 12z Euro and 18z GFS suggest 4" is possible, but the warm advection burst is really going to have to produce fairly quickly before the precip transitions to freezing drizzle as the dry slot moves overhead.

I know the setup is different I believe but this ENE moving fronto band reminds of 12/20/10 here. Quick hitting 3-5" event in <6 hours.

Pretty close to plain rain. Euro has been close the past couple of runs. Seeing any snow is becoming less and less of scenario.

I knew I'd see a plain rain post out of you. ;) It's only one run but I probably shouldn't have bit on the front end snow/sleet scenario as much...I mean it's possible but it will be a battle with wetbulbing and waa that will be trying to push those layers aloft above 0C.

I knew I'd see a plain rain post out of you. ;) It's only one run but I probably shouldn't have bit on the front end snow/sleet scenario as much...I mean it's possible but it will be a battle with wetbulbing and waa that will be trying to push those layers aloft above 0C.

Yeah, I'm not seeing any snow for us. Mid-levels should torch sufficiently. Thing to watch is if surface temps can get back below freezing, as it looks like we'll be above 32º on Thursday, before the precip hits. Not that they'll be much precipitation for us anyway. Classic 33-34º and rain for LAF?  

Hey guys, I know I'm not from this region, but I'll be traveling from Valparaiso, IN to Ann Arbor, MI Thursday night for some college visits. Just wanted your opinions on what I should expect. Thanks in advance.

Probably some snow...nothing too major. Ann Arbor is AWESOME by the way. U of M has been recording weather on campus since 1880. They have had over 40" of snow this winter but right now there is just a T on the ground.

Archived