Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

Replied to ya, snowman99.

Euro still pumping out 100-300 J/kg of elevated CAPE for the MCI-STL corridor during most of the event. Some dry air in place at the start, so it will be interesting to see how that battle is resolved.

yeah, as ironic as it may seem.  We are right on the edge of potential heavy snow back to sleet back to snow and so on. 

But at least ZR is off the table for now.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh.. what fun is your job without a little potential hype and just a heads up to follow the forecast..  So it doesn't look to work out here and if you fell for the little bit of early hype shame on us.  No harm no foul from them offices.. Its not like and LOT  hasn't had its shares of blunders, of under hyping especially...   Look at the last snow storm...  epic fail for part of their area especially waukegan.

Good post. The way some are reacting is if DVN and MKX put up watches and had 6-12" in the forecast, 7 days out. I saw nothing wrong with they did. As for the TV media types...well, they're a different animal all together. But again, I don't think any of them were specifically calling for projected amounts to be a lock. But everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter.

And the current timing would put it overnight Thursday/early Friday. Friday morning could be tricky before temps warm up.

Hopefully dewpoints depressions won't be too large or it eats it up until later in the day.  If it was the difference between snow or rain, I would say let it snow.  Nobody needs ice just for the morning commute and then be gone in a couple hours.

Is it too late to latch onto individual GEFS runs? There's a couple 12z ones that I'd like to hug.

:weenie:

I bet one of them is P010! :)

I like P003 the best.

I don't blame the weather offices being cautious at this point in the game - it's Sunday and this storm is late Thursday. I hope freezing drizzle doesn't make an appearance though!

CIPS analogs based off the 12z GFS at 96 hours, Great Plains sector: http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/thumbnails2.php?reg=GP&fhr=F096&model=GFS212

#1 looks like a solid match, with respect to snowfall. #2 looks like a pipe dream for quite a few of us (didn't realize how widespread that event was). Somewhat interestingly, the top 5 are all storms from March or April.

LOT

ATTENTION THEN TURNS TO UPPER LOW WHICH MODELS HAVE BEEN PROGGING
ACROSS THE MIDWEST LATER IN THE WEEK. TRENDS IN THE VARIOUS GLOBAL
GUIDANCE OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS HAVE BEEN TO SHIFT THE TRACK OF THIS
FEATURE WEST OF THE WFO CHICAGO FORECAST AREA. CURRENT 12Z
DETERMINISTIC RUNS OF THE ECMWF/GFS/NOGAPS CONTINUE TO PRODUCE THIS
SOLUTION WITH VERY GOOD CONSISTENCY TO THEIR 00/06Z RUNS. HOWEVER...
IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THERE REMAINS CONSIDERABLE SPREAD IN THE
GEFS ENSEMBLE MEMBER SOLUTIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE EVOLUTION OF
THE SURFACE AND UPPER LEVEL LOWS...PARTICULARLY IN THE 108-120
HOUR RANGE AS IT MOVES INTO THE MIDWEST. OVERALL...THE TRENDS
WHICH STAND OUT INCLUDE THE SYSTEM OCCLUDING OVER MO/IA/IL
THURSDAY NIGHT/FRIDAY WITH THE WEAKENING UPPER LOW SLOWLY DRIFTING
NORTHEAST ACROSS MN/WI FRIDAY. AN ELONGATED SURFACE
TROUGH/OCCLUSION EXTENDING SOUTHEAST INTO THE OHIO VALLEY LIFTS
ACROSS THE LOT CWA THURSDAY NIGHT...WITH A PRONOUNCED MID-LEVEL
DRY SLOT OVERRUNNING THE MOIST LOW LEVEL FRONTAL ZONE LATE
THURSDAY/THURSDAY NIGHT. THIS SUGGESTS A PERIOD OF SNOW DEVELOPING
FROM THE SOUTHWEST THURSDAY/THURSDAY AFTERNOON AS THE WAVE AND
OCCLUSION APPROACH...WITH THE DRY SLOT THEN SPREADING ACROSS THE
AREA THURSDAY NIGHT. FORECAST SOUNDINGS FROM BOTH GFS/ECMWF MODELS
DEPICT LOSS OF SATURATION IN MID-LEVELS AND LOSS OF ICE-PRODUCTION
WHICH WOULD SUGGEST A DECREASE IN PRECIP INTENSITY AND PERHAPS
MORE OF A FREEZING DRIZZLE/DRIZZLE OCCASIONALLY MIXED WITH LIGHT
SNOW THREAT THURSDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAY. OBVIOUSLY THIS IS
STILL QUITE A WAY OUT IN TIME...AND CHANGES/ADJUSTMENTS REMAIN
LIKELY TO MODEL FORECASTS AS THE SYSTEM IN QUESTION IS ONLY OVER
THE GULF OF ALASKA AT THIS TIME. THE STRENGTH OF THE SOUTHERN
UPPER JET AND THE PRESENCE OF A SEPARATE/FARTHER SOUTH LOW REMAIN
POSSIBILITIES. ALSO...THE PERIOD OF SNOW THURSDAY AFTERNOON PRIOR
TO THE DRY SLOT DEPICTED IN THE OPERATIONAL MODEL RUNS COULD
PRODUCE SEVERAL INCHES OF ACCUMULATION BEFORE DIMINISHING/CHANGING
TO MIXED PRECIP OR DRIZZLE.

I really like this, both the GFS and NAM are continuing to trend Colder with the front and it seems more SW with the lakes vort.

Of course I would love to see this end up taking a more Southerly track through Oklahoma so my city would get a 6"+ snow storm. 

But if what I am rooting for does not happen I am completely ok with it, it's just snow.  So if I am missed and you are not and get a nice storm, congrats.  So don't be offended by my what could be perceived as bias posts.  I

c8e8607c-3370-4158-a876-8b32e34a3b05_zps

The NAM which is not reliable and would be hard pressed to be onto a more different solution in some ways than what we have seen out of the Euro.  But I do like the looks of this.  Closed low is about to "shrink" and bomb.  But it's still slightly positive and is obviously going to start out things much further South and widespread colder than the Euro has as of now.

I think a lot of us would do good with this set up if say that trough bombs out and a smaller bowling ball swings threw N. Texas, Oklahoma, into Eastern Kansas/North Central MO before crapping out. 

18znam500mbvort084_zps0b98ac86.gif

Not jumping the gun yet, but I'm concerned about an ice-storm here. Right now it's showing a classic ice-storm for the Indianapolis viewing area, but it only takes a 50-80 miles southward shift to bring it down here. 

I suspect the models will start to lock in within the next 48 hours. If they keep going south, uh oh.

This has Kentucky ice storm written all over it. Gulf moisture, system coming out of the four corners, yeah not cool. We will see what happens. Would rather have plain rain or all snow. So I wouldn't mind seeing a northward shift.

Archived