joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't even realize the first system put down snow outside of SC WI! my bad.

The 2 systems combined will make this a fairly snowy week regardless of the 2nd one being a monster or not. Looks like Madison could get 2-3" from event #1 and a long duration 5-6" from event #2. Gotta love a snowy week like that, nothing overwhelming but still plenty of snow. Might be enough to push us over 50".

Definitely a bit early for specifics, but this is looking like a 1-3" type event for the QC.  Weakening system fighting a very dry air mass makes this a less than ideal storm setup east of the Mississippi.  Wouldn't be surprised if this decays away to a DAB type event honestly, but will remain hopeful.

Thinking a couple of flakes, a few sleet pellets, and then freezing drizzle/light rain for LAF. All amounting to not a lot, but the freezing drizzle being the most "exciting" of the three.

Dang, it's still early but I think you're being a little pessimistic. Even the worst model runs have been showing around .2 qpf. I think we see varying precip types but wouldn't be surprised to see a nice burst of snow at the beginning.

Dang, it's still early but I think you're being a little pessimistic. Even the worst model runs have been showing around .2 qpf. I think we see varying precip types but wouldn't be surprised to see a nice burst of snow at the beginning.

0.20" isn't a lot of precipitation. :lol: 

The "couple of flakes, a few sleet pellets" is all relative though, and somewhat tongue in cheek. 

It's early but trends overall have been for a significant decaying of the system as it bleeds eastward.  Looks like anyone east of the Mississippi will be getting the leftover table scraps from a primarily Plains system.  Sloppy seconds if you will, lol.  Normally not a big deal, but a bit depressing after days of consistent powerhouse solutions for many of us in this sub. 

It's early but trends overall have been for a significant decaying of the system as it bleeds eastward.  Looks like anyone east of the Mississippi will be getting the leftover table scraps from a primarily Plains system.  Sloppy seconds if you will, lol.  Normally not a big deal, but a bit depressing after days of consistent powerhouse solutions for many of us in this sub. 

That's because the globals aren't phasing the Polar and Subtropical jet anymore, it will only take a small shift for that solution to come back and then we could have our blizzard again. It's common for models to have some magor shifts as we cross from the mid range to the short range too, especially as the storm comes over the North America obs network after being over open waters with little obs. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the blizzard solution to come back, it could just as easily get less impressive.

The 2 systems combined will make this a fairly snowy week regardless of the 2nd one being a monster or not. Looks like Madison could get 2-3" from event #1 and a long duration 5-6" from event #2. Gotta love a snowy week like that, nothing overwhelming but still plenty of snow. Might be enough to push us over 50".

50"! Nice. I knew Madison was in the 40" range.

Some of the GGEM numbers roughly:

Madison: 0.37"

Des Moines: 0.67"

Cedar Rap.: 0.54"

Chicago: 0.44"

MKE: 0.33"

DBQ: 0.46"

DVN: 0.47"

LAF: 0.24"

That's because the globals aren't phasing the Polar and Subtropical jet anymore, it will only take a small shift for that solution to come back and then we could have our blizzard again. It's common for models to have some magor shifts as we cross from the mid range to the short range too, especially as the storm comes over the North America obs network after being over open waters with little obs. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for the blizzard solution to come back, it could just as easily get less impressive.

Then ofcourse we have the shredder ( Tomorrow night/Tuesday event )  out ahead of it ripping it apart.

Amazing how we can go nearly half a winter without much of anything and then when things decide to crank it is all at once which is not good either as we are seeing with this potential. Ofcourse it would also help if the trough/storm came in a bit further south down in Texas. Typically systems that pop out in or close to the KS border fail miserably in these parts unless it stays a true to form bowling ball type low which this wont be now because of it being too close/connected to the northern jet. Had it come out of the sw further south into Texas it would be a totally different ball game with many jumping for joy in this sub forum. Ofcourse it also helps if the storm is closer to a moisture source like the GOM etc and thus another reason why a further south track would have netted better results for most.

Then ofcourse we have the shredder ( Tomorrow night/Tuesday event )  out ahead of it ripping it apart.

Amazing how we can go nearly half a winter without much of anything and then when things decide to crank it is all at once which is not good either as we are seeing with this potential. Ofcourse it would also help if the trough/storm came in a bit further south down in Texas. Typically systems that pop out in or close to the KS border fail miserably in these parts unless it stays a true to form bowling ball type low which this wont be now because of it being too close/connected to the northern jet. Had it come out of the sw further south into Texas it would be a totally different ball game with many jumping for joy in this sub forum. Ofcourse it also helps if the storm is closer to a moisture source like the GOM etc and thus another reason why a further south track would have netted better results for most.

An interesting thought crossed my mind when you mentioned a further south ejection of the low... fat chance of it happening, but what if the high pressure and cold front pushed further south then forecast - would it force to low to seek that more southerly route?

I hope this storm gets as strong as possible to hopefully suppress the next one any bit it can (unfortunately I'm thinking even a strong system here won't get that to happen).

If this system were to be stronger/more amplified at this stage, the ridge in behind (considering it won't be centered over the Northeast) would amplify more and increase the chances of the system in behind cutting north faster, so this doesn't make any sense.

The storm dies heading east man..I dont see what you are looking at? At least on this run dont see nothing special for the G/L /O/V region....everything comes together perfectly WEST OF US.....Perfect for Minnesota/Iowa...

Props... good call!

Your call was spot on. Who would have thought.

Local forecast, per WGN, for Thursday says:

Details: Winter Storm with hazardous driving conditions possible.  Cloudy,

strong E to SE winds, gusting to over 25mph, with snow, or sleet, changing eventually

to heavy, wet, accumulating snow later in the afternoon, and evening. Nearly steady

temps around 30degrees....

Archived