• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

Yeah, I'm not seeing any snow for us. Mid-levels should torch sufficiently. Thing to watch is if surface temps can get back below freezing, as it looks like we'll be above 32º on Thursday, before the precip hits. Not that they'll be much precipitation for us anyway. Classic 33-34º and rain for LAF?

I don't think an all rain event is a danger at this point. If temps are above freezing when precip starts, they should drop below very fast after precipitation begins. Doesn't hurt that the bulk of this looks to come after dark.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think an all rain event is a danger at this point. If temps are above freezing when precip starts, they should drop below very fast after precipitation begins. Doesn't hurt that the bulk of this looks to come after dark.

Eh, we've played that game too many times...and lost. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again...33-34 and rain. We shall see.

Who's getting bent out of shape?  :arrowhead:

Just reading what the models show as they come in tonight. 

Not towards any one person. Take each snowfall map with a grain salt.  :)

Who knows maybe the 6z will have you at 4" and ORD at 6" again!

Eh, we've played that game too many times...and lost. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again...33-34 and rain. We shall see.

Would be a pretty significant model fail. The early occlusion helps in terms of not letting the warm air advection get out of control. We will warm up eventually of course but it should basically be over by then.

Would be a pretty significant model fail. The early occlusion helps in terms of not letting the warm air advection get out of control. We will warm up eventually of course but it should basically be over by then.

Sad thing is we're debating over what 0.20" of precip is going to be for here. What a piece of crap storm. :lol:

Hey guys, I know I'm not from this region, but I'll be traveling from Valparaiso, IN to Ann Arbor, MI Thursday night for some college visits. Just wanted your opinions on what I should expect. Thanks in advance.

Be sure to check out the weather station on North Campus if you get a chance...I'll probably be somewhere near by there :P

I'm not talking about 2m. It keeps our 850 mb temps above freezing.

I gotcha, sorry. Yeah, both do punt frozen for us...essentially. I guess I'll be more interested to see what the NAM offers in that regard, the closer we get. Never been a fan of the Euro's accuracy in that regard.  

For where I live the Euro caved big time.

Now the models are pretty close on timing and track without more changes which there will be.

But the GFS and GEM are both better for snow, while the Euro is back and forth.  But the Euro has convection. 200-300MJ of Cape.  It shows with up to .50 QPF in 3 hour period in an isolated spot but most of the STL metro gets 0.6+ QPF in 6 hours of either heavy sleet or snow.

Surface temps in the mid to upper 20s so this will be a mess.

But the GFS and GEM are both better for snow, while the Euro is back and forth.  But the Euro has convection. 200-300MJ of Cape.  It shows with up to .50 QPF in 3 hour period in an isolated spot but most of the STL metro gets 0.6+ QPF in 6 hours of either heavy sleet or snow.

MJ of CAPE? I don't recall ever seeing that used in instability analysis...

Archived