12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So any thoughts as to why these OP runs are generally north, but the ensemble means are not only south, but significantly so?  I know that's typical when talking about an intense low given the uncertainty and some really suppressed solutions that occasionally exist, but we're talking about hundreds of miles difference.

Even though it IS the GEM i think that it's solution would have the best shot of any. Not because of my backyard but because of the pattern and thus what is ahead of it etc. I can see this system ending up further south then what even the GEM shows. My hunch is we end up with what the models showed a little ways back and thus a bowling ball tracking east somewhere between I70 and the river.

Even though it IS the GEM i think that it's solution would have the best shot of any. Not because of my backyard but because of the pattern and thus what is ahead of it etc. I can see this system ending up further south then what even the GEM shows. My hunch is we end up with what the models showed a little ways back and thus a bowling ball tracking east somewhere between I70 and the river.

Gotta think there is a shot models come back to that given they should that happening for days but we'll see.

Problem I have with the GGEM solution is there is no high pressure centered to the NW, to keep pushing it along east. The high in this case, is to the N/NE...thus the turn to the path of least resistance on all the other models. Taking a look at all of the other bigger MW/OV snowstorms of the past (east of the Mississippi), the NW (northern Plains) high is key. Anyway, that's just my two cents. We shall see... 

Well I guess until the early week system moves in and advances its way to the east/northeast, the window is there for some decent shifts.

Problem I have with the GGEM solution is there is no high pressure centered to the NW, to keep pushing it along east. The high in this case, is to the N/NE...thus the turn to the path of least resistance on all the other models. Taking a look at all of the other bigger MW/OV snowstorms of the past (east of the Mississippi), the NW (northern Plains) high is key. Anyway, that's just my two cents. We shall see... 

I agree about the high. Thing is do the models have that correct?

P6_GZ_D5_PN_108_0000.gif

As you can see the high is to the north and or north of MN BUT how can it move east with what is ahead of it? There is really no opening for this storm to come north. Another missing key element is the se ridge which one usually sees ahead of systems that cut towards WI/MN etc. ,Ofcourse that is all assuming the models have system 1 correct etc. So yeah it can all still change.

A day or two ago it was looking like this would be a great spread the wealth/high impact event for much of the region.  Recent trends are reducing confidence in such a widespread scenario.

It was looking like this was gonna be one of those high impact events the models lock onto early on and maintain relative continuity through the event, but the last 24-36hrs has derailed that line of thinking.  Still early, but my confidence in this thing being anything other than just a run of the mill winter system is quickly crapping out.  Was really hoping this would end up being something special, but it looks like it's stating to **** the bed in a way.  Wouldn't take much for this thing to be the storm of the season for here, but really was hoping we could all share a big storm together for a change.  Oh well, it's gonna do whatever it's gonna do, no matter how many times we peck out our grievances on the ol' 'puters. lol

The problem I have with Gem and the reason it probably won't verify is not so much what is going on at the surface, but rather at H5:

GFS 120:

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_120_0500gifgfs120_zps1694ba7

Gem 120:

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_120_0500gifgemhr120_zpsf359f

GFS 132:

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_132_0500gifgfs132_zpsc6cfc8c

Gem 132:

QQ_GZ_UU_VV_132_0500gifgem132_zps7545920

I believe the GEM is trying to choke of the omega block to quickly, thus driving the surface low on the more southerly track.  Time will tell if this verifies or not, but I would be surprised if it does.

Archived