• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 21st - 23rd Winter Storm

Powerball

Wow...looks like the Euro really trended stronger with the energy as it moves out of the west. If it closes off at 500mb and occludes that far west it won't really matter what the 50/50 does. Yikes. Wonder if the recon out in the Pacific had anything to do with these 0z models coming in a lot stronger with the energy moving out of the west.

post-525-0-06778500-1360996738_thumb.png

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but all of these solutions are fully occluded well before the MS river (some before the MO river). That doesn't bode well for big totals east of about ORD's longitude as the best frontogenesis and deformation will have been eaten up by frontolytic processes and a filling upper low by then.

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but all of these solutions are fully occluded well before the MS river (some before the MO river). That doesn't bode well for big totals east of about ORD's longitude as the best frontogenesis and deformation will have been eaten up by frontolytic processes and a filling upper low by then.

think we've all accepted that by now.

Trust me, I don't believe for a second this will occlude up into Minnesota, and the "lock it in" was facetious since it is a catchphrase.  They could be onto something is all I'm saying, even if it's not likely.

Once again, the Euro's been all over the map. 12z might have something completely different, shooting down your idea.

Yep, but even met's thoughts change.  In fact, I would argue the worst are the stubborn ones unwilling to change their positions on what a storm is likely to do.

Meteorologists don't change run to run, unless you are a bad one like DT. You have to watch for trends in the models, today's trend has been toward a stronger solution, however to what magnitude is yet to be decided. To latch onto the most extreme solution each time is probably not a good way to convey your points (note you were thinking this was going to be way South just 24 hours ago).

I think the model shift tonight, especially the Euro just goes to show how far out we are and that uncertainty is going to prevail for a few more days. I see several strong solutions with plenty of time to adjust, and with 5-6 days of model schizophrenia to go, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything specific right now. 

Which would be a good thing for everybody on the forum... if indirectly. They need a few 2 footers out there if we're going to help keep the death ridge outta here this summer.

Oh yeah, trust me when this storm started to materialize I was extremely pleased to see it. A huge snow pack out there does wonders for this region with respect to the death ridge and prospects of severe this spring.

Oh yeah, trust me when this storm started to materialize I was extremely pleased to see it. A huge snow pack out there does wonders for this region with respect to the death ridge and prospects of severe this spring.

To be honest, I would almost rather have this storm blow its load over Nebraska/N Kansas and put a dent in the drought. I wouldn't mind some snow here now, but I would rather see some benefits later this spring/summer if that's what the choices are. Obviously, the severe weather weenie in me trumps the winter storms. 

Archived