joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting wind event going on across the ski resorts today...  NWS higher summits forecast calls for 20-30mph winds at summit level, and so does our internal forecast.

RECREATIONAL FORECAST...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

1026 AM EST MON MAR 4 2013

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.REST OF TODAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. A CHANCE OF SNOW

SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE UPPER TEENS. NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH.

However we are getting gusts at 2-3,500ft in the 40-50mph range on lift towers and two lifts are on wind hold.  Jay Peak has upper mountain lifts on wind hold and Sugarbush has 4 or 5 lifts on wind hold.  That doesn't happen at 20-30mph...that's a dead giveaway gusts are probably exceeding 40mph and pushing 50mph+.

Somehow the NOAA station at the summit of Mansfield is reading only 20-30mph but that's wrong given what I saw up top an hour ago.  There's like 3" of rime on everything so I wonder if that's skewing the wind readings.

attachicon.gifwind.JPG

With this much rime on everything, I have to image its playing with the wind readings.

attachicon.gifrimeicing.JPG

MWN is gusting to 60+ right now, below guidance. I had to manually adjust up.

:weenie:

You going this weekend?

Yes sir! Gonna be a good time fo sho.

If you guys are going to be in Rutland, do yourselves a favor and go to Gill's Delicatessen.  Best sandwiches in the state.  Make sure you get them with shredded cabbage instead of lettuce.  There are several top notch sandwich shops down there.  I've eaten all around the state and Rutland is the grinder capital by far. 

Sorry for the OT.  22° and overcast here in Montpelier.

I agree, what makes it bit tough are the warm-ups we received in January.  There was a couple of week stretch where the snow pack had taken a significant hit and we hadn't been replenished.  Having said that, I have had solid cover in my yard since December 15th or so and unless something big happens that looks to continue for the next couple of weeks.  As I said in an earlier post, my tour of parts of Orange County this past Saturday revealed 2+ feet of snow over 1500' - 1600'.  It is definitely not a really low snow year. 

Quite frankly, I prefer the steady snow over the one big event.  2-3 inches per week, punctuated by a nice 6-10 event a couple of times per month adds up to a nice average and good snowpack.  It's easier to move around when it comes that way too.

No doubt that if we could've avoided one of the two January cutters, the whole of NNE would have much more snow than we currently do.  That being said though, many places have made the most snow depth-wise of a moderate season, snowfall-wise

And agreed fully on your snowfall distribution preferences. 

Hmmm, two straight GFS runs bringing some goods further north.  Something to watch.

-SN in AUG, after an hour or so of flake-a-minute. The mosnow this morning never appeared to accumulate on anything - maybe on the existing snow but I can't tell that from inside. However, never saw even slush on vehicle windshields. Snow at the current rate hasn't a chance until after dark.

If you guys are going to be in Rutland, do yourselves a favor and go to Gill's Delicatessen.  Best sandwiches in the state.  Make sure you get them with shredded cabbage instead of lettuce.  There are several top notch sandwich shops down there.  I've eaten all around the state and Rutland is the grinder capital by far. 

Sorry for the OT.  22° and overcast here in Montpelier.

My ex gf went to school at Castleton...been to Gill's many times! So good! Rutland actually has many nice little restaurants and whatnot. Good VT location for the conference.

Nice 1 mile vis snow right now.....but I have a question for you Mets/ Coastal/Brian whoever.   Just comparing the 12z and 18Z GFS and it seems the 18Z keeps the low center further SE.  However if anything it brings even more QPF up to C/NNE  how come?   I really thought it would bring stuff further to the SE but no.

Any input?

Thanks  Gene

Great afternoon of snow shoeing and sledding with the kids.  Had a great feel to it with light snow falling.  Temp has dropped down to 24F but snow has slowed to flurries, with about a 1/4" down.  That March sun is really starting to work, even though temp was at 30F hard for it to accumulate.

You have no idea. Seriously I'm done with this sh*tty winter. If my house gets 15" of 8:1 snow and I see 1" here, that'll be "bone-shaft" #4 while here at LSC. (2 freshman year, 2 this year). We have fought back with 3/7/11 up here and that's it.

modeling is reminiscent of apr. 97,  in that it snowed and snowed south of CON and hardly a flurry in Plymouth.  That made me angry.

Yeah.....this absolutely sucks. The GFS gives 1' up here but that is very very unlikely. I'm half hoping the EURO is right. Plymouth isn't even at 50" yet this winter and my house could be at 80"+ after this storm (67 now).

In the process of finding the nearest bridge to jump off of.

:weenie:

Talk about the ultimate bridges.  Now Im dating myself because Im 56 years old.   I grew up around Boston but my folks are divorced and  my Dad in Baltimore got me in the summer and school vacations.  Always was a weather nerd.  Back Feb 1969 Boston had it's epic 100 hour snowstorm.  It was right at the end of school vacation.  I was in Baltimore and flew home just as the storm started.  We took off and flew to Logan, circled but could not land and flew all the way back to Baltimore.   I was stuck in Baltimore which got nothing.  Fast forward to 1978.  Decided to go to Univ of Maryland.  Again another blizzard.  I remember listening to WBZ all night with the epic stories and again missed that one.  I decided once and for all that I was going to buy a house at elevation in Northern NE and enjoywinter storms.  So far this winter have missed them all except the blizzard which gave me almost 11".  I can't complain have had some super winters up here!!

Yeah.....this absolutely sucks. The GFS gives 1' up here but that is very very unlikely. I'm half hoping the EURO is right. Plymouth isn't even at 50" yet this winter and my house could be at 80"+ after this storm (67 now).

Eh...it happens. We're still 2-3+ days out on this too so it's too early to jump off of bridges. The GFS brings the midlevel goodness up here.

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.12” L.E.

We had a bit of snow today, with 0.3” through 7:00 P.M., and it’s picked up this evening with another 0.4” down on the board.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

Event totals: 3.1” Snow/0.15” L.E.

Subsequent to the 7:00 P.M. clearing of the snowboard, another 0.7” fell overnight at the house.

Below I’ve added the north to south listing of Vermont ski area snow totals for our ongoing event as of this morning.  The continued light snow in the northern part of the state has pushed the snow totals notably higher at resorts in that region:

Jay Peak: 13”

Burke: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 3”