• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

I also just realized that we are going to be half-way through March and I'm only going to have 2.5" at 1,500ft and 5" at 3,000ft for the month.  Unless something changes, looks like another well below normal snowfall month.  Of the 4 full snowfall months (Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar) we should be around 60-70 inches per month at the summit. 

Its amazing to me that the 17-year average is 317" though for the past 4 years, only one of those (2010-2011) came in above that at 331".  And thats essentially within the realm of "normal", while that year BTV saw its second snowiest winter on record.  The other three years out of the last 4 are 200-250 inch range. 

I really think we are paying for some ridiculous snowfall from 2000-2001 through 2008-2009... when 7 of those winters were above 300" and 4 of them topped 350", with the max being 432" in 2000-2001.

I mean I still feel like it's relatively snowy up here all things considered, but it would be fun to do back-to-back like 370-inch winters or something like 2006-2007 and 2007-2008.  There's a decent snow base right now but I've already forgotten what another 150 inches on top of this would look like from those seasons.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow will be a tough day on my dirt road.  I think the mud conditions will be the worst in a few years.  Frost layer is melting rapidly and the mud was getting deeper yesterday.  Today will be mild and if we get an inch of rain tomorrow the road will be near impassable.  10 houses on my dead end dirt road.  Will be very interesting couple of days before the cold weather comes back.  I'll try to take some pictures!

Still 100% snow cover at my elevation but noticing bare ground patches on south facing slopes below.

I also just realized that we are going to be half-way through March and I'm only going to have 2.5" at 1,500ft and 5" at 3,000ft for the month.  Unless something changes, looks like another well below normal snowfall month.  Of the 4 full snowfall months (Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar) we should be around 60-70 inches per month at the summit. 

It's the gfs, but... Last few runs have shown central Maine getting zero snow out thru 384 hr - blecchhh! Just tomorrow/Wed's torch-deluge then another one at D15. Most of the time between the two rainstorms is progged to be at/below avg; cold wasted once again.

Rollercoaster winter for snow, with 30" in Dec, followed by least snowy of 15 Januarys here, then a snowy Feb (but, what could've been? Fringed by the bliz, missed by the next weekend's storm, then WSW forecast turns to RA. A couple wee shifts and the month would've been in the 50-60" range.) Now March is looking to be low end for snow, and it's +9F so far for temp.

I also just realized that we are going to be half-way through March and I'm only going to have 2.5" at 1,500ft and 5" at 3,000ft for the month. Unless something changes, looks like another well below normal snowfall month. Of the 4 full snowfall months (Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar) we should be around 60-70 inches per month at the summit.

Its amazing to me that the 17-year average is 317" though for the past 4 years, only one of those (2010-2011) came in above that at 331". And thats essentially within the realm of "normal", while that year BTV saw its second snowiest winter on record. The other three years out of the last 4 are 200-250 inch range.

I really think we are paying for some ridiculous snowfall from 2000-2001 through 2008-2009... when 7 of those winters were above 300" and 4 of them topped 350", with the max being 432" in 2000-2001.

I mean I still feel like it's relatively snowy up here all things considered, but it would be fun to do back-to-back like 370-inch winters or something like 2006-2007 and 2007-2008. There's a decent snow base right now but I've already forgotten what another 150 inches on top of this would look like from those seasons.

The lower snow totals recently are in good measure due the total shutouts we have suffered in march. historically, march had been a big snow month, but the last 4 years have been awful.

Yup, that is Lafayette. Cannon Mtn is in front of it but you can't see the ski trails as they are facing away from you.. Great picture of the whole Franconia Notch range. Didn't realize you could see it so well from Stowe!

Well usually you can't but it was crystal clear on Saturday...no haze at all. Everything looked much closer than it was.

The lower snow totals recently are in good measure due the total shutouts we have suffered in march. historically, march had been a big snow month, but the last 4 years have been awful.

Well March 2011 saw a widespread 15-30" on the 6-7th, with depths area wide of 24-48". I had like 38-42" on the ground in town after that one. I consider that month a good one just because of that storm. Aside from that though, atrocious. I know 09 and 10 were the two least snowiest Marches at the Mansfield Co-Op. although there actual values are very suspect to me, it's great data for comparisons for year to year. At least if its flawed, it's consistently flawed, haha.

It's the gfs, but... Last few runs have shown central Maine getting zero snow out thru 384 hr - blecchhh! Just tomorrow/Wed's torch-deluge then another one at D15. Most of the time between the two rainstorms is progged to be at/below avg; cold wasted once again.

Rollercoaster winter for snow, with 30" in Dec, followed by least snowy of 15 Januarys here, then a snowy Feb (but, what could've been? Fringed by the bliz, missed by the next weekend's storm, then WSW forecast turns to RA. A couple wee shifts and the month would've been in the 50-60" range.) Now March is looking to be low end for snow, and it's +9F so far for temp.

Really!? uugh, We are having unreal melt-off in Windham, and the rain on Tuesday will not help at all

Really!? uugh, We are having unreal melt-off in Windham, and the rain on Tuesday will not help at all

The Euro was a lot more optimistic than gfs, however, and even gfs at 12z has a nice dump, albeit out at day 9. Unfortunately, it also bumps tomorrow's RA to well over 1". I see interesting times for folks close to the Sandy River (among others), which has several ice jams left from the 1/31 thaw, now frozen in and waiting.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

355 PM EDT TUE MAR 12 2013

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

COLD AIR MOVES INTO THE REGION BEHIND THIS FRONT AND RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO WET SNOW BEFORE PRECIPITATION ENDS TOWARDS EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING. STILL THINK WE CAN SEE A COATING TO AN INCH IN MOST LOCATIONS...WITH LOCALLY UP TO 2" ACROSS THE NORTHEAST KINGDOM.

The Intellicast Radar shows the snow off to the west as this front moves through:

12MAR13A.gif

Somehow the Mansfield stake failed to drop even an inch with temps around 40F and serious rainfall.

61" yesterday and 61" today...hmmmm. Just like I record a lot more snowfall than the Co-Op, my snowpack also decreases when it rains. I won't know for sure till tomorrow but I lost about 3" during the ski day at 3,000ft, and I'm sure it took a beating in the heavy rainfall after 3pm.

1.30" of rain here and a serious snowpack eviscerator for the valley floor. 

Still have 10" at the stake and solid cover here at 1.2k but not so just down the hill below 1k.

Insult to injury around here--miss a big one and then get hammered with rain a few days later.  :bag:

And just as our thoughts turn toward the thaw and spring, we'll probably get pounded with copious amounts of heavy spring snow over the next couple weeks...just to make things even more muddy than they already are, lol.

The only silver lining I could draw from this rain event is that we've been on the dry side to start 2013:  only 1.60" of precip for January and 2.24" for February.  Some water is certainly good, even if a fair chunk of this ran off.  The brook below us is roaring this morning--as loud as I've heard it in months.

1.30" of rain here and a serious snowpack eviscerator for the valley floor. 

Still have 10" at the stake and solid cover here at 1.2k but not so just down the hill below 1k.

Insult to injury around here--miss a big one and then get hammered with rain a few days later.  :bag:

And just as our thoughts turn toward the thaw and spring, we'll probably get pounded with copious amounts of heavy spring snow over the next couple weeks...just to make things even more muddy than they already are, lol.

The only silver lining I could draw from this rain event is that we've been on the dry side to start 2013:  only 1.60" of precip for January and 2.24" for February.  Some water is certainly good, even if a fair chunk of this ran off.  The brook below us is roaring this morning--as loud as I've heard it in months.

.86" down here in the Valley.  We still average about an inch on the ground, with a couple inches and also bare spots. 

I was thinking the same thing one of the highest precip events in months and falls as rain!!!

.86" down here in the Valley.  

Also less than an inch for the event at both MPV and LEB.

I guess we got peppered here pretty good. 

I see the river ice is now all but gone.  As of yesterday afternoon, some mushy ice was still lingering around Hanover and closer to the dam but it's been rapidly receeding upstream and heading south.

Lots of ugly out there today.  A few mangled flakes on the car roof this morning but not enough to cover it.  Elsewhere the front yard is bare thanks to warming from the septic, the backyard is a glacier, mud everywhere, where there are piles it is brown and dirty, and 4 months of golden retriever poop is being unleashed on the world like a 10000 year old woolly mammoth being exposed by a retreating glacier.  Good times. 

Lots of ugly out there today.  A few mangled flakes on the car roof this morning but not enough to cover it.  Elsewhere the front yard is bare thanks to warming from the septic, the backyard is a glacier, mud everywhere, where there are piles it is brown and dirty, and 4 months of golden retriever poop is being unleashed on the world like a 10000 year old woolly mammoth being exposed by a retreating glacier.  Good times. 

LOL!  I hate spring.

Was down to 30.4 this morning with a coating of ice over the snow melt/run-off puddles when I looked outside around 6:00.

Think I missed out on the rain jackpot, CON reported .37" for yesterday. Snow pack survived quite well here, few bare areas around the large pine trees but elsewhere it ranges from 4" in the sunniest spots to just over 7" over most of the yard. 

Pretty much indifferent at this point, but if it's going to snow again this year, may as well keep it going. 

Archived