• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

Indeed, that snow is marching right down the Winooski Valley; 2”+ per hour snowfall outside with those stronger echoes coming through:

Yeah I don't doubt it... I had 0.8" in 20 minutes earlier this evening so that's a 2.4"/hr rate and the radar wasn't nearly as robust. 

You're elevated snow board is going to clean up with this stuff.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't doubt it... I had 0.8" in 20 minutes earlier this evening so that's a 2.4"/hr rate and the radar wasn't nearly as robust.

You're elevated snow board is going to clean up with this stuff.

Actually, that’s right on with what I measured – 1.2” in ~30 min, so 2.4”/hr.  Just checked the board, and the storm total is 3.0” as of ~8:00 P.M.  This is the Northern Greens stuff we’ve sort of been lacking a lot this season.  Not sure how much the Froude Number is currently playing for a role, but that value around 1 seems pretty nice if it is:

15MAR13A.jpg

Great little update an hour ago by Muccilli:

Near term /until 6 am Saturday morning/... as of 732 PM EDT Friday...snow showers and squalls associated with surface cold front and upper vorticity passage continue to progress eastward across the north country. Heaviest snow squalls now moving through the Champlain Valley of Vermont with heavy snow...gusty winds to 30 miles per hour...and visibilities reduced to a quarter mile or less. These will push across the remainder of Vermont through 10 PM. 1-3" of snow will be common across much of the region...with a few localized higher elevation areas that have had persistent squalls receiving up to 4-5". Drying aloft pushes in fairly quickly behind cold front...so snow showers should diminish in coverage fairly rapidly after 10 PM. Will likely see some lingering light snow showers in the mountains...and possibly even in the Champlain Valley as northerly flow develops towards morning. However any additional accumulations will be very light. Otherwise...expect falling temperatures with lows generally in the teens to near 20...with a few single digits possible in the coldest areas of the Adirondack Mountains.

Whatever is causing that robust area of squalls (vort max?) that just tracked through BTV and central/north VT along I89 and just south seems to be on track to hit you NH posters.

That cluster seems headed for Winni and Plymouth area...that was 2-3" per hour rates so enjoy :)

Yeah I got 1/2 in 15 minutes so definitely 2-3" per hour.  Great snow growth.  By the way left yesterday morning and traveled up to Pittsburg NH and spent the night.  Big variability in snow cover.  Almost nothing along the Conn River but good coverage at higher elevations.  Loved the mood snow all day and night yesterday along the Canadian boarder.  Few inches of powder and 7F last night.  Frost heaves are awful along the way.

Diane, thanks for the offer to ski but can't right now.  Skiing looked great as I went by Cannon this PM!  Enjoy

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.04” L.E.

I’m not sure how much has fallen up at Bolton so far, but as of ~8:30 P.M., 3.2” has fallen down here, so it’s going to be interesting to see what they report.  Snow has tapered off for now, but it looks like there still might be some upstream:

15MAR13B.gif

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 27.5

Snow Density: 3.6% H2O

Temperature: 30.0 F

Sky: Heavy Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 1.5 inches

light snow 27.7F.   2.5" of snow this evening.  1.5"  past 10-15 minutes in a blinding squall that brought vis down to a few hundred feet.  I could not see my neighbors house directly across the street.   About the heaviest snow I have ever seen, that was 4-6" per hour rates.   Quite a bit of wind with the squall.  Enjoyed the past hour as much as a all day nor easter!

That second squall that just came through will be unbeatable for a long time.  On my streetlight visibility snow intensity rating scale (SVSIRS), this squall soundly defeated the Jan 2011 squall, and prior to that the record was set in 2/5/01.

First squall dumped a half inch, second brought the total to 3"

I see some orange pixels.

26F and 3" otg. Light snow

Interesting drive. Hit first squal in bennington on 279 heading east. As we approached the intersection with 7, a big pickup entering onto 279 west, fishtailed and spun into our lane coming right at us. Made a swift evasive manuever, avoiding the spinning truck and the car next to me. Whew!

Route 4 in killington coming down the east side was terrible, as usual. It seems they never salt/sand that stretch sufficiently. 100 north from killington to warren was snow coverred but uneventful.

Around 1 and 3/4ths at home total on the ground from the snow showers/squalls.  We definitely missed the bulk of that heavier activity to the south.

2.5" at 1,500ft base of Mansfield... called it 2-3" on the morning report.  Suspect there may be a bit more higher up but I'm not a fan of just guessing, so there is a chance that upper value increases.

Either way, we missed the bulk though as I bet Bolton/MRG/Sugarbush put up some healthy numbers this morning.  Flow was also more NNW which topography can favor Addison/Washing county line more so than Chittenden/Lamoille (which does better with a more westerly than northerly flow). 

My jackpot guess would be Bolton though.  I'll be really surprised if they do not report the highest snowfall (outside of Jay Peak which somehow always has the most regardless of what logic would show as the favored region in a specific event).

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Overnight, another 2.9” of snow fell on the snowboard.  The density for this latest round was a touch higher than yesterday evening’s accumulation, probably due to a bit of settling overnight, but it was some fairly high quality snow, coming in around the 4% H2O mark.  This storm has been notable for at least a couple of reasons: 1) it’s been the largest event of the month to date, and 2) it’s brought the season snow total at this location past what was obtained in the winter of 2011-2012.  So, this season will not go down as the lowest in the records here in terms of snowfall.

Below is the north to south listing of some of the early reports from the Vermont ski areas for this event; the first list is overnight for this event, and the second list is for the Thursday and Friday events combined; the ‘bush and MRG continue to lead the way right now, closing in on a foot and a half of new snow:

24-hour totals

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 6”

Sugarbush: 6”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Okemo: 3”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 2”

72-hour totals

Jay Peak: 11”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Mad River Glen: 16”

Sugarbush: 15”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Bromley: 5”

Stratton: 4”

Mount Snow: 4”

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 2.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.12 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 24.2

Snow Density: 4.1% H2O

Temperature: 21.2 F

Sky: Mostly Clear

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.16” L.E.

Overnight, another 2.9” of snow fell on the snowboard.  The density for this latest round was a touch higher than yesterday evening’s accumulation, probably due to a bit of settling overnight, but it was some fairly high quality snow, coming in around the 4% H2O mark.  This storm has been notable for at least a couple of reasons: 1) it’s been the largest event of the month to date, and 2) it’s brought the season snow total at this location past what was obtained in the winter of 2011-2012.  So, this season will not go down as the lowest in the records here in terms of snowfall.

Below is the north to south listing of some of the early reports from the Vermont ski areas for this event; the first list is overnight for this event, and the second list is for the Thursday and Friday events combined; the ‘bush and MRG continue to lead the way right now, closing in on a foot and a half of new snow:

24-hour totals

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 3”

Pico: 1”

Killington: 1”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 2”

As usual, regardless of what looked like the heaviest squalls in the Sugarbush/MRG area and down in central NH, Jay Peak somehow manages another 6" ;)

My co-worker, who used to live and work at Jay, always jokes about it... saying they probably do get a touch more snow than elsewhere throughout the course of the season, but the locals always laughed at how "optimistic" it was most days and how they "hate to lose" in the snowfall game, lol.

Had an awesome squall here last night too.  Heard the wind chimes really getting rocked around last night, so I filpped on the floodlights and saw nothing but white.  With my head out the back slider, it was snowing so hard, I could actually hear the flakes hitting the trees and landing on the old glaciated snowpack.

Picked up just shy of 2".  Looks great out there this morning.

Either way, we missed the bulk though as I bet Bolton/MRG/Sugarbush put up some healthy numbers this morning.  Flow was also more NNW which topography can favor Addison/Washing county line more so than Chittenden/Lamoille (which does better with a more westerly than northerly flow).

My jackpot guess would be Bolton though.  I'll be really surprised if they do not report the highest snowfall (outside of Jay Peak which somehow always has the most regardless of what logic would show as the favored region in a specific event).

Watching the radar here from my perspective right down below Bolton, I was going to go with the ‘bush/MRG area getting hit the hardest – we got a nice flow here in the Winooski Valley, but they seemed to get hit more directly by a couple of the later impulses.  Being right up above us, I’m still surprised that they only reported 4” up there at Bolton when 4” accumulated down here almost 3,000’ below.  Granted, my accumulation was taken in two rounds, and theirs probably one, but even this morning there’s a clear 3”+ down here, even after settling.  I’d rather they take the conservative approach like you though, so combined with settling and a slightly lower reporting elevation, that 4” may be the way it went.  I think there’s been enough new snow from these past two events to warrant a trip up to the mountain though, so hopefully we’ll get up and I’ll be able to make some measurements myself as well.  Indeed you’re right though, Jay Peak was right up there near the top in terms of overnight totals:

Based on what I’ve seen, it’s definitely been ‘bush/MRG in the wheelhouse for these past two events though, and those 15-16” totals for 72 hr speak to that.

Archived