ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only got a dusting overnight, Hopefully a bigger dump will come at some point for NW New England.

In a perfect world, I'm down for more winter weather for about another month.  I would love to get as much snow as possible up until about March 15th, and then it can start melting so that the golf course can open by April 15th.  So, until I can swing a club, bring the the snow.

In a perfect world, I'm down for more winter weather for about another month.  I would love to get as much snow as possible up until about March 15th, and then it can start melting so that the golf course can open by April 15th.  So, until I can swing a club, bring the the snow.

You and i are on the same page............ :)

Not a golfer, so I can selfishly wish for snowy and cold thru all of March (happens about once in 10 yr, if that), so we can finish up the log jobs. Last year's mega-torch caused a lot of wood to be stranded on winter roads until this season's freeze-up.

Man, I'm disappointed about the end of winter already drawing closer. We lost pretty much December and much of Jan. Snowfall is still well below avg despite last wknds storm. At least is was cold for some extended periods. Ice fishermen will be happy at least down here as the Derby on Sebago is this wknd. Wasn't sure they'd have it this year. I'll take whatever snow we can muster up until middle of next month, then it can torch.

This.

I love winter like everyone else who posts here, but by 3/15 I'm ready for it to wind down no matter how good or bad the cold season has been. Winter after mid-March, even in good years, always seems weak and watered down with the high sun angle, lack of staying power and the like. Though it's much harder to get, I greatly prefer a snowy late November over a snowy late March. Plus by that time I'm just ready for a change of seasons. It's the reason I moved up here from Florida...seasons.

Ended up with 12" at 3000ft from that upslope event, and 6.5" at 1500ft and 3" at 750ft.

I see what you mean about 2000' making a difference, it snowed everyday I was at Bolton and was still snowing when we left, Id love to spend Jan and Feb up there some year.

There was probably 7"+ while we were there, blowing around, some nice drifts, whole different world.

I see that there’s a new thread and folks were talking about where we are with respect to the season, so I took a quick look at the data I have for my location.

Average snowfall through this date is: 105.3 ± 38.2”, so the current snowfall of 94.8” is well within 1 S.D., and is actually right at 90.0% of average.  In fact for this date, this season is still running nicely ahead of ‘06-‘07 (59.0”), ’11-‘12 (74.6”), and even ‘09-‘10 (82.0”).  Snowfall for all the remaining seasons was 130”+ by this point though, so we’re certainly not in their league at this time.  Snowpack is definitely on the low side, but there’s really not much to complain about with respect to snowfall.

In terms of % of the season complete, my numbers say that the snowfall season is 64.8% complete, so on average there’s a bit more than a third of the season’s snowfall to go.

Finally, I took a look at where we stand for the month of February, and it seems to be humming along at pretty close to average.  Just dividing the monthly average by the number of days says that we should be at 19.5”, and we’re currently quite close to that at 17.0”.

I see what you mean about 2000' making a difference, it snowed everyday I was at Bolton and was still snowing when we left, Id love to spend Jan and Feb up there some year.

There was probably 7"+ while we were there, blowing around, some nice drifts, whole different world.

Yeah...at elevation along the immediate Spine is a whole other world. It precipitates at least excuse imaginable which is why the dry January pattern was so rare. I mean those 2000ft+ elevations on the Spine can do like month long precipitation streaks, haha.

I, for one, have not gotten my fill of snow. disappointing week for the MRV so far. you northern folks hogged all the goodies. hoping for better this weekend.

Yeah I was surprised how little that past event brought to SB/MRG which is east of the Spine, similar to Stowe up here. Deeper moisture was further north and the Spine does curl NE a bit up here so maybe that created a better cross-barrier flow?

It would've been nice if it was more widespread because its pretty unanimous in town here that the mountain is skiing the best of the season. This was finally a dense, nice snow for rapidly improving the surface. Dense but powdery at the same time if that makes sense. I saw the Jay co-op came in with another 0.9" of QPF this morning, so there's certainly some water weight which is great for the snowpack and off-piste stuff.

The weekly total is at 32" at 3,000ft, the base is back, and the trees are finally up to snuff. I see Jay is up to 38" in the last week so it has been profitable in the north.

But it comes and goes around... SN/MRG area got a lot more snow than the north in that late December blitz. SB had its like third snowiest December ever, which was awesome. It all evens out over time.

lol enough of that nonsense in here. I'll take snow on Cinco de Mayo.

Agreed on that one – I’ve never seen the appeal of having the snow end early.  The trees aren’t fully leafed out until roughly Memorial Day/early June around here anyway, and prior to that it feels like trying to do warm weather activities during stick season.  From what I’ve seen in the SNE threads, it seems to be one of the least liked periods of the year down there – it’s often that gray “cutoff season” with minimal chances for snow.  At least up here we often get snow out of those cutoff systems (especially in the mountains) to keep the winter rolling.  With that setup, things can move right into good weather as June approaches without having to sit through two to three months of that dreary stuff.

just got back to the office and read through the 2/17-2/18 discussion thread. from what I can glean, most models but the euro have a late forming coastal storm.  can we get anything out of that in n.vt?  sure as heck hope so.

My guess is the NEK down to KLEB has the best shot at synoptic accumulating snows as of now. Wouldn't count on too much though...maybe a few inches. 

Archived