• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

Dryslot, Brian  any QPF numbers for us in C/NNE????.   I asked in the main thread but no one answered me and Im not going to ask IMBY questions again.  Next year Im going to shell out some money and buy the Euro data since it frustrates me that I can't see it.

If anyone has it, thanks in advance.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dryslot, Brian  any QPF numbers for us in C/NNE????.   I asked in the main thread but no one answered me and Im not going to ask IMBY questions again.  Next year Im going to shell out some money and buy the Euro data since it frustrates me that I can't see it.

Don’t most people just use the WunderMap® for getting the ECMWF data?  It’s free, and always available, so that’s what I use.  For example, for the upcoming storm the 12Z ECMWF forecasts 0.02” (I guess technically the range would be 0.02” – 0.10”) for my location in terms of QPF, but one could of course use it for any location.

Unlike Allenson and klw, my town does not have a traditional town meeting so since I had the day off, I took a snowmobile ride with my son.  We covered quite a bit of Washington County and into a little bit of Lamoille and Caledonia. I have a couple of pictures, excuse the quality.  They were taken with the iPhone by someone with poor photography skills - me!

This first one is a long range shot of the east side of the Worcester Range, taken from a field in Middlesex.

attachicon.gifWorcester Range.JPG

This next one shows that there is some nice snow depth at elevation.  This is on Woodbury Mt. between Elmore, Worcester and Woodbury.  I think the elevation is around 2000" give or take a couple of hundred feet.  Anyone who snowmobiles will immediately recognize That I stumbled upon a dream, freshly groomed trail without even a track on it yet.

attachicon.gifWoodbury Mt..JPG

This last one was taken when I was almost home.  Looking from Barre Town east towards the Knox Range and what I think is Butterfield Mt. 

attachicon.gifButterfield Mt..JPG

It was a beautiful day to be out and about in Vermont yesterday.  Plenty of snow, especially at elevations above 1200' or so.  Temps were in the 30's so it was comfortable.

That trail gives me wood and an itchy thumb

Dryslot, Brian  any QPF numbers for us in C/NNE????.   I asked in the main thread but no one answered me and Im not going to ask IMBY questions again.  Next year Im going to shell out some money and buy the Euro data since it frustrates me that I can't see it.

Around .25" for you up there

Could be semi interesting here tomorrow night as the 2nd vort swoops in and sets off some inverted trough snows. I haven't overly analyzed the models, but it seems many have trended a little north with the northern periphery. Looks like a general 1-3" or 2-4" like GYX shows.

These little 15dbz pixels are packing quite the wallop.

Trajectory of those snow showers haven't been good for where I am in Hanover.

The darn Whites are in the way, lol.

Still, I saw a nice groupelish shower a little while ago.  Not sure what's been happening up at the house today but probabaly not a whole lot.

I like our shot at a few inches tomorrow night.  Energy diving down now from what I can see.

It hasnt gone above 30 at the big K in Vt last 3 days, and it has snowed every day for the last 7 days at my location and at Killington, the mountains of coarse keep adding to their ground totals. Very pretty day to be on the mountain. Days like this I wish would last forever.

post-3781-0-57611100-1362623719_thumb.jp

post-3781-0-82901100-1362623764_thumb.jp

Most things I've been looking at have been pretty consistent of getting a quarter inch or so of QPF into this neck of the woods.  Also liking the looks of that band coming onshore along the southern coast of ME.

Might just make up this way.

Otherwise, heavy heavy clouds.  At least the clouds were moving in a different direction this morning that they've been for the past many days, lol.

Some bands of snow moving onshore from the Gulf of Maine. Wife reports light snow in Bath. Just had a 5 minute moderate snow shower here in west end Portland.

I'm working in Boston today and have been posting in the obs forum about the mostly non-accumulating snow down here, but keeping an eye on the home front to see if any positive surprises may be in store. Was hoping one of those bands would come ashore.

Apparently the Euro came in pretty robust up through southern NH, but I can't tell if it's any better for Maine.

I'm working in Boston today and have been posting in the obs forum about the mostly non-accumulating snow down here, but keeping an eye on the home front to see if any positive surprises may be in store. Was hoping one of those bands would come ashore.

Apparently the Euro came in pretty robust up through southern NH, but I can't tell if it's any better for Maine.

I haven't looked at any models today, but I just don't see this being a big deal up here. Maybe a spot 1"-2" or 3" somewhere tonight? The wind has been fairly impressive.

Max Gust: 40 mph @  11:56 AM

I haven't looked at any models today, but I just don't see this being a big deal up here. Maybe a spot 1"-2" or 3" somewhere tonight? The wind has been fairly impressive.

Max Gust: 40 mph @  11:56 AM

No, I have absolutely nothing invested in this one for my backyard. Any table scraps that we get will be a bonus. It's easy come, easy go this time of year anyway.

Starting to think we won't even see a flake this far west.  The high terrain of western NH from Moosilauke on southward  seems to be doing a nice job of leaving the Conn. River drainage high & dry.

Latest nam is a total whiff here, not that I was expecting any more than perhaps 1-3".

I'm at 77.5", the next milestone of course being 80".  I had slim hope that this one just might get us there but it looks like we'll have to wait for the next one.

We're bound for one late-season NNE special, right?  :axe:

Starting to think we won't even see a flake this far west.  The high terrain of western NH from Moosilauke on southward  seems to be doing a nice job of leaving the Conn. River drainage high & dry.

Latest nam is a total whiff here, not that I was expecting any more than perhaps 1-3".

I'm at 77.5", the next milestone of course being 80".  I had slim hope that this one just might get us there but it looks like we'll have to wait for the next one.

We're bound for one late-season NNE special, right?  :axe:

I sure hope so.  getting late in the game.

Radar is more impressive looking than I thought it would be for here, but in reality the snow is very light (vis around 1.5 mi) and not really sticking to anything.

Starting to think we won't even see a flake this far west.  The high terrain of western NH from Moosilauke on southward  seems to be doing a nice job of leaving the Conn. River drainage high & dry

I'd like to apologize on behalf of those mountains.

Man what a sweet day even if its cloudy and not snowing... the skiing is so good right now, the mountain absolutely buried.  Its all fair game at this point.

Mansfield looming over the Mountain Road.

537709_10151276205032382_339620007_n.jpg

482382_10151276205267382_1277469195_n.jp

601953_10151276205442382_182105682_n.jpg

Even a sub-par winter has been serving it up... the mountains will always find a way to snow.

426418_10151276202207382_183894254_n.jpg

486485_10151276202352382_818864792_n.jpg

PF-your pictures remind me that despite me wringing my hands about the weather while I sit in my office, when I get up there for the weekend, the conditions are surprisingly good.  It is like, as I travel through the granville gulf on 100, I am entering an alternate universe.  Even last season was good.  and then I tell people down here and they think I am insane.

PF-your pictures remind me that despite me wringing my hands about the weather while I sit in my office, when I get up there for the weekend, the conditions are surprisingly good. It is like, as I travel through the granville gulf on 100, I am entering an alternate universe. Even last season was good. and then I tell people down here and they think I am insane.

Yeah we just tend to have less variance relative to normal...I mean it is always going to snow up here and be decent even in the worst winters. I grew up near ALB in a snow hole in the Hudson Valley, then lived in BTV for a while, and now plan on staying in Stowe for some time. Watching the weather in the winter has become a lot less stressful since I moved here 3 years ago...it's not to sound cocky or anything, just that as a snow lover, it is nice to know it will snow instead of obsessing all the time about it. In the long run, this area will do me good. I'd think differently if I was only here for a winter or two and didn't want to waste it on sub-average snowfall, but settling down here for a while is a real possibility and I know when I experience a good NNE winter here it's going to be epic.

2010-2011 was my first winter in town and we got 150.3" in the village...and that was a solid winter, but nothing historical. Another 75" would be nice on top of that like 2000-2001 lol.

Archived