• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

Powderfreak - that last pic looks just like Wildcat today ... almost sunny down low but socked in with clouds at the summit. Across the road the Presidentials were clearing out ... must've been some sweet views going down that hill.

Very changing weather on the mountain today... it would be snowing one minute, then the sun would come out, then the fog would roll in, then the sun would come out again, then it would start snowing, lol. 

"If you don't like the weather in Vermont (or NNE), just wait a minute and it'll change."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You Mainers seeing anything out of this?

Seems to be a moderately robust band in Augusta area now and backing southwestward...

Back over in Western NNE, just light snow and flurries (visibility 1-3sm at the ASOS's) as this moisture continues to work back into the area.  Low level flow is northerly with NEly winds aloft, so not an upslope flow but good to see some weak moisture working over the area.  Hopefully we can gather an inch or two overnight if everything breaks right.  Looks like we may get that burst moving through Augusta, ME right now late tonight/early pre-dawn hours as models show another push moving into this area around that time with another vort max.

March%202.gif

looks like KLEW to augusta has a moderate band....kbox would have a snowfall map up ....heck they had one the other nite for the non existant norlun that gave nobody even a trace

Yeah, I have some light snow falling here ... a dusting of accumulation.

...ya just light stuff over you now...but nice band about 60 miles ENE of you heading back to the WSW....seems you may get into it by 930 pm or so

the poster in raymond maine.....looks like hes gonna be clipp'd with the band in next half hour or so....if band can sag south another tick as it moves west he should get hit pretty solid....i mean 25 dbz echos there....but AUG reports 1.75 vis at top of last hour so who knows

looks like KLEW to augusta has a moderate band....kbox would have a snowfall map up ....heck they had one the other nite for the non existant norlun that gave nobody even a trace

...ya just light stuff over you now...but nice band about 60 miles ENE of you heading back to the WSW....seems you may get into it by 930 pm or so

the poster in raymond maine.....looks like hes gonna be clipp'd with the band in next half hour or so....if band can sag south another tick as it moves west he should get hit pretty solid....i mean 25 dbz echos there....but AUG reports 1.75 vis at top of last hour so who knows

Some decent 20-25 dbz bands moving thru right now, Coating on the ground

Looks like a tenth or two since sunset, only non-stick weenie flakes during the day.  Actually saw some filtered sun and a patch of blue about 10 AM - lasted maybe 15 seconds.  Hope this stalled low doesn't anchor and rot like the one 3 yr ago.  At least this one is near the end of winter, not New Years.

I was surprised to measure 1.5" around 8:00 pm. It looked like a quarter to half an inch fell lat night but I never measured of cleared the board. Started snowing again around 2:30 or so and snowed lightly the entire time we were out on the snowmobile. Actually was moderate at times, great wintry appeal today. Rode around the hills of Orange County in the towns of Brookfield, Chelsea and Washington. Some of the hills top out just under 2000' but I was still pleasantly surprised to see the amount of snow on the ground, well over 2' in some areas. This is a pretty unknown area for a lot of tourists from out of state but for my money it is one of the most picturesque. All in all it was a very nice late winter afternoon.

>32 days, wet snow plus an ice fishing derby perforating the lake with water-welling holes made for some very poor skating.  Not recommended.  :bag:

Skiing tomorrow should be better at least.

Sorry to hear that man.  I was wondering if this was the derby weekend, noticed extra bob houses and truck activity on the cam today.

-SN 26F about .5" this evening.

Nice shots, Jayhawk...surprised you didn't snowshoe right up onto the roof of that structure ;)

A few shots from my neck of the woods today...skiing is excellent right now.  Hard to find too much to complain about with a solid, deep base from top to bottom.  Still crunchy on the lower third from Thursday afternoon when the warm temps moistened up the new snow and crust it over.  Upper half of the mountain is golden.  The usual spring-time type deal... but base depths are solid and the woods are wide open.  The mountain is mostly skied out, from the Thursday storm, but the woods are still so soft with a little loose powder on top.

Indeed, great mountain shots guys, I’ve added a couple more below from today.

02MAR13A.jpg

02MAR13B.jpg

You’re spot on with the summary of the local ski conditions PF - since the snow is a bit punchy down low, and a lot of the lift accessed terrain has generally been skied out since the recent storm, it was a perfect day for some upper elevation backcountry/sidecountry.  I headed up to Bolton Valley this afternoon, used a lift assist to the Wilderness Summit, and then did a backside run followed by a sidecountry one back to the Village.  Man, the Bolton backside is simply loaded with snow; in the 2,500’ – 3,200’ elevation range I generally measured depths between 20 and 30 inches before reaching a real solid subsurface.  All that wind that I mentioned in my Bolton report from February 18th had to put the snow somewhere, and plenty of it got thrown to the leeward slopes.  Combined with all the recent snowfall from various storms, it’s mighty impressive.  The Mt. Mansfield Stake is at 63” as of yesterday evening, which is actually about a half foot below average, but at this time of year even being a bit below average means a pretty deep snowpack.  Since some of the recent snows were pretty dense when they fell, the skiing is generally only in the top several inches of the snowpack (especially with fat skis), and boy are obstacles getting buried.  There was some fairly substantial snowfall at times in the higher elevations this afternoon – I just about had to wear my goggles even while ascending because of the snow intensity at times.

It’s been a great winter evening down here in the valley as well – we went snowshoeing and the new snow falling really set the scene.  It’s been coming down with more intensity the past hour or so, and there’s 0.8” down on the snowboard as of 11:30 P.M., so we’ve already got more here tonight than last night.  I’ll do an analysis at midnight and see where we are at that point.

1.5" here overnight and light snow still falling.  Looks very nice out there and it feels great to be back in the low 20s after days and days of waffling between 29 and 34.  Should be a nice day skiing today.

Rode around the hills of Orange County in the towns of Brookfield, Chelsea and Washington. Some of the hills top out just under 2000' but I was still pleasantly surprised to see the amount of snow on the ground, well over 2' in some areas. This is a pretty unknown area for a lot of tourists from out of state but for my money it is one of the most picturesque. All in all it was a very nice late winter afternoon.

Yeah man, there's a fair bit of snow here in the Orange County Massif ( ;)).  Shhh, keep us to yourself, lol.

The highest land here in Corinth is up around 2300 o 2400' but the trails don't go that high...

Sorry to hear that man.  I was wondering if this was the derby weekend, noticed extra bob houses and truck activity on the cam today.

-SN 26F about .5" this evening.

No worries--I should've gotten on the lake sooner when the skating was still good.  Ah well.  I found about 10 square feet that was decent enough to zip around on for a few minutes.  Had the mother-in-law with us who isn't exactly an outdoor enthusiast, so it worked out ok.

But yeah, tons of fishermen ringing the lake and a lot of water seeping through the snow on the ice and out onto the trail.  The fisherman have been using the trail as a road for their trucks and four-wheelers, so everything was shot to hell.

No worries--I should've gotten on the lake sooner when the skating was still good.  Ah well.  I found about 10 square feet that was decent enough to zip around on for a few minutes.  Had the mother-in-law with us who isn't exactly an outdoor enthusiast, so it worked out ok.

But yeah, tons of fisherman ringing the lake and a lot of water seeping through the snow on the ice and out onto the trail.  The fisherman have been using the trail as a road for their trucks and four-wheelers, so everything was shot to hell.

It's always amazing to me how quickly it goes from awesome ice to no more skating for the season.  Once you hit mid-late Feb I always look as that skate as possibly the last one. 

1.5" overnight and still snowing lightly.

Archived