joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we just tend to have less variance relative to normal...I mean it is always going to snow up here and be decent even in the worst winters. I grew up near ALB in a snow hole in the Hudson Valley, then lived in BTV for a while, and now plan on staying in Stowe for some time. Watching the weather in the winter has become a lot less stressful since I moved here 3 years ago...it's not to sound cocky or anything, just that as a snow lover, it is nice to know it will snow instead of obsessing all the time about it. In the long run, this area will do me good. I'd think differently if I was only here for a winter or two and didn't want to waste it on sub-average snowfall, but settling down here for a while is a real possibility and I know when I experience a good NNE winter here it's going to be epic.

2010-2011 was my first winter in town and we got 150.3" in the village...and that was a solid winter, but nothing historical. Another 75" would be nice on top of that like 2000-2001 lol.

I hear ya. Hopefully at some point in my life, i will get to live up there.

Since the xmas new years time, i havent got any serious powder days up north. And at home, on the east bank of the hudson, im getting similarly screwed. Ive got 2-3" this morning when the rest of the area is reporting 8"+. wtf?

Quarter of a trace this morning.  There was some snow on the  car but not enough to brush and not enough to cover the turkey tracks in the driveway.  Oh well missing this storm (which I never thought would hit us anyway) and the weekend warm-up will help those big birds out.  

Oh there was a really nice clear view east to the Whites this morning.  Nice visibility and light.  Seemed like the clearest view in quite some time.

Had a whole inch at 7am with steady light snow still falling.

Took a shot from the hill across from us on my way to work this morning.  Can't see the house but it's tucked in at the end of the visible field.  Hills above are right around 2k.  A little blurry due to the falling snow, ftw:

8538514365_047ec331aa_z.jpg

Quarter of a trace this morning.  There was some snow on the  car but not enough to brush and not enough to cover the turkey tracks in the driveway.  Oh well missing this storm (which I never thought would hit us anyway) and the weekend warm-up will help those big birds out.  

Oh there was a really nice clear view east to the Whites this morning.  Nice visibility and light.  Seemed like the clearest view in quite some time.

Interesting you say that becuase as noted above, it was snowing nicely in my little knot of hills and for most of my ride into Hanover.  Then, when I got into the immediate valley, the snow had stopped (though there was a fresh inch of so even there) and looking northeast at just the right places, I could see all the way up to Moosilauke and the summit was clear.

Very odd set-up with this one but interesting all the same.

Very rarely do I get "jealous" of other people's snow, but for some reason I am today.  One more storm would have been very nice and I guess there is always a chance in March in VT but there is something about not getting it right now that is annoying to me.  I am glad to see  our SNE folks getting in on it though..  Oh, and as for my obs this morning, maybe half what klw measured :P .

10-11 was a sweet winter...I wouldn't call that shafted, lol. 340" on the mountain and 150" in town, with near weekly storms including a 27-incher on March 6-7.

Maybe im mixing up my winters. Or maybe i just think 10-11 was bad because my season ended with a torn acl in march.

Perhaps you’re thinking of ‘09-‘10?  That was the winter with strong southward suppression of storm systems – many were ending up down near Washington D.C., so even more suppressed than this season.  It looks like we may get a break in the suppression starting this weekend through next week though.

Perhaps you’re thinking of ‘09-‘10?  That was the winter with strong southward suppression of storm systems – many were ending up down near Washington D.C., so even more suppressed than this season.  It looks like we may get a break in the suppression starting this weekend through next week though.

must be.  I just remember storm after storm going south and ots.  its gut wrenching.

Flake-free here. I had a little snow on each day March 1-6 (also the Feb 27-28 storm) and none yest-today, possibly none through most of next week. Odd to have 6 straight snowy days add up to less than 5" total. Might get left in the 70s again. My avg snowfall is 87" but I've yet to have a winter finsih in the 80s - six were 94"+ and 8 were 79" or less.

Sun trying to come out now in AUG, 1st real shadows I've seen in over a week. Loggers here are dreading the sun, mainly because the extended lack of cold mornings means that only a little sun turns everything into mud. Every day in the past week has had lows 15-20F above avg, with thecloudy days holding highs in the avg-to-+5 range. Today makes 18 in a row with mean temp above avg, far short of the 46-day streak in Feb-Mar 2010, but we should make it 25 days or longer, as I don't see any below avg temps in the near future. After successfully evading almost all the great chances since Feb began, we now appear headed for boredom.

Flake-free here. I had a little snow on each day March 1-6 (also the Feb 27-28 storm) and none yest-today, possibly none through most of next week. Odd to have 6 straight snowy days add up to less than 5" total. Might get left in the 70s again. My avg snowfall is 87" but I've yet to have a winter finsih in the 80s - six were 94"+ and 8 were 79" or less.

Sun trying to come out now in AUG, 1st real shadows I've seen in over a week. Loggers here are dreading the sun, mainly because the extended lack of cold mornings means that only a little sun turns everything into mud. Every day in the past week has had lows 15-20F above avg, with thecloudy days holding highs in the avg-to-+5 range. Today makes 18 in a row with mean temp above avg, far short of the 46-day streak in Feb-Mar 2010, but we should make it 25 days or longer, as I don't see any below avg temps in the near future. After successfully evading almost all the great chances since Feb began, we now appear headed for boredom.

About sums it up, Looks like we are heading for a crappy spring

Ok, I'm sorry but I just read the sne obs thread and nearly puked in my mouth.  so jealous.  Good for them but I want mine.

LOL, I know.  It's not fair, eh?  ;)

I'd just crept ahead of some of the CT posters for seasonal snowfall but that was brief stay above them.  I comfort myself though knowing that I've at least been close without the benefit of a 25-30" storm and now a 15-20" one to boot.

And now we have a cutter early next week to look forward to.

We'll probably get hammered in mid-April with a cement bomb followed by a week with highs in the 50s, right after the mud had all thawed out.  :bag:

Man, wish that storm would have found its way up here. Just sitting and spinning down in SNE. Funny, a storm that wasn't supposed to dump as much down there looks to end up giving them more then what we got in our area for the blizzard. Kinda sad, since looking at the calendar it's only the 8th. I usually throw in the towel around the 15th. Looks like winter may end prematurely.

2nd greatest snow on record at BTV I think.

#3, just ahead of V-Day 2007. 2nd is the late Dec 1969 storm with a fraction under 30". That was a strange event, with much of Maine and adjacent NH getting 10-18" snow turning to flooding rains, upper CT Valley getting that snow but then heavy ZR, while VT stayed mainly snow. There were reports of 50"+ in the S.Greens.

Man, wish that storm would have found its way up here. Just sitting and spinning down in SNE. Funny, a storm that wasn't supposed to dump as much down there looks to end up giving them more then what we got in our area for the blizzard. Kinda sad, since looking at the calendar it's only the 8th. I usually throw in the towel around the 15th. Looks like winter may end prematurely.

I think i can hear some faint singing in the back ground that seems to be getting louder

I think i can hear some faint singing in the back ground that seems to be getting louder

Best case scenario is that my course opens in 5 weeks on April 15th.  Our average opening date is April 20th - 21st.  As of yesterday, there was still knee-high snow on the fairways.

I'm gonna round this storm up to 1 inch.

Jeesum crow, that makes me feel better about the 1"+  I had.

Mid/upper 30s here, blustery and quite raw.  I do see a lot of 40s on the map though...

Skies are brightening though.

Pretty cool plumes coming off the Whites.  Loop is fun to watch too.

post-2284-0-69847500-1362774401_thumb.jp

#3, just ahead of V-Day 2007. 2nd is the late Dec 1969 storm with a fraction under 30". That was a strange event, with much of Maine and adjacent NH getting 10-18" snow turning to flooding rains, upper CT Valley getting that snow but then heavy ZR, while VT stayed mainly snow. There were reports of 50"+ in the S.Greens.

Oh yeah I meant the season as a whole was #2.

Archived