joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Malloy coordinate the closure with MA, RI, and NY? The closure was at 4pm Fri right? Or are we talking something different?

West Hartford from what I've seen has done a great job clearing.....the Center and Blue Back we're cleared by afternoon and pretty much all roads are clear now.....

Hartford OTOH.....:yikes:

They have pretty much embarrassed themselves with both snow cleanup and the electric situation in the past 2+ years.

The same company involved in the power messes in CT is now merged with Nstar effectively throughout the organization including management. Nstars response becomes more like CT each storm.

They are making good headway now but the financial decision effected the business decision in not getting crews down here pre-storm and instead having them drive down a day after the storm. The 24 hours lost can make a big difference as it took them 6-10 hours yesterday to integrate the crews. What people don't realize now is utilities run bare bones line staff to save money. This isn't boston Edison have a drink at lunch someone will cover staffing. This is anytime there's a bigger event we need out of state/ country crews to help or else it will be weeks.

By waiting to bring down crews so they can save bucks on hotels and overtime..... When the next real. 78 happens and highways are closed for days 3-5 day outages will become multiple weeks.

Sure the state will fine them again. But the fines are cheaper to pay than the overtime and hospitality bill so they don't care.

Of the 250k people without power about 160k were mostly "quick" fixes if they had enough crews. Most of the delay was in waiting for mutual assistance to arrive and get up to speed. What's left are the main lines being down, few street outages etc which will take days and weeks.

Utilities are monopolies but are now being run like private firms squeezing dollars by virtue of their monopoly power. Competition would do us a good. Some of my closest friends have worked for nstar. Things aren't going to get better the way they're running things right now.

They have pretty much embarrassed themselves with both snow cleanup and the electric situation in the past 2+ years.

2' of heavy heavy snow (1 foot down in the valley) in October knocking out almost a million people takes a LONG time to restore.

A tropical storm knocking out that many people takes a LONG time to restore.

A legit hurricane knocking out that many people, flooding substations, taking down the huge transmission lines etc takes a LONG time to restore.

CT has been hit really hard the last couple of years, **** happens.

I could care less about reporting the highest total. I am happy to get any amount of snow. I can assure you that many of these reports in New Haven County are close to accurate. I am not getting out of my driveway until tues per my town.

How can these totals be questionable? Upton measured 30.9". KBDR 30"

CONNECTICUT...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...   FAIRFIELD             35.0  1000 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   STRATFORD             33.0  1030 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   MONROE                30.0   900 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   BRIDGEPORT            30.0   658 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER   SHELTON               26.5   700 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   WESTON                26.5   800 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   WESTPORT              24.5   645 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   GREENWICH             22.5   900 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   DARIEN                22.1   500 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NORWALK               22.0   730 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   ROXBURY               22.0   800 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   NEW CANAAN            22.0   600 AM  2/09  CT DOT   DANBURY               21.5  1200 PM  2/09  CT DOT   STAMFORD              19.0  1100 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NEWTOWN               17.1  1000 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   BETHEL                16.0   800 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   RIDGEFIELD            12.0   800 AM  2/09  PUBLIC...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...   EAST HADDAM           35.5   845 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   OLD SAYBROOK          30.0  1200 PM  2/09  CT DOT   CLINTON               27.5   800 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   HADDAM                27.0  1200 PM  2/09  CT DOT   HIGGANUM              24.0   700 AM  2/09  AMATEUR RADIO   CROMWELL              23.0   700 AM  2/09  AMATEUR RADIO   MIDDLETOWN            12.0  1200 PM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...   HAMDEN                40.0   100 PM  2/09  PUBLIC   MILFORD               38.0   615 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   CLINTONVILLE          37.0  1040 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   OXFORD                36.2   600 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   NORTH BRANFORD        36.0  1100 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   MERIDEN               36.0   200 PM  2/09  PUBLIC   YALESVILLE            35.0   909 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   WALLINGFORD           35.0   700 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NEW HAVEN             34.3   600 AM  2/09  CT DOT   WEST HAVEN            34.0  1040 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NORTHFORD             33.5   950 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   WOLCOTT               33.0   457 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   EAST HAVEN            33.0  1005 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   GUILFORD              33.0  1113 AM  2/09  BROADCAST MEDIA   NORTH GUILFORD        32.0   900 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   WATERBURY             32.0   900 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   MADISON               32.0   321 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NAUGATUCK             30.0   600 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NORTH HAVEN           29.0   950 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   BRANFORD              28.0   700 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   SOUTHBURY             26.3  1030 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   NORTH BRANDFORD       24.0  1230 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   BEACON FALLS          21.0  1200 PM  2/09  CT DOT

i saw pics of hamden, no way they had 40 inches, not even close to that on the ground from what i saw.

I got out yesterday around midday...was surorised how bad I-95 was still. On ramps were plowed but merge lanes weren't. The right lane would often end at snow banks without warning. I had to come to an almost complete stop to navigate onto an off ramp. Side roads varied...but one of the ones I was on over in Branford was awful...about 1.5 lanes wide. Plows would come from the opposite direction and it was very difficult to get out of the way. I know our elementary school's lot hadn't been completely cleared by yesterday PM...so I wonder about school tomorrow as well. Plowing won't get any easier with today's rain.

Some of the people interviewed on the news are pissing me off...bitching about how the road clearing is a disgrace, what are they paying taxes for, they need plows now. One woman was bitching on NBC and was like "we need help...we're humans too!" Storm hadn't even been over 36 hours at that point...and of course she was interviewed in her car. People just don't seem to get this was CTs worst storm (accumulation wise) in over 100 years. They act like towns are just being lazy. They seem to not be able to grasp just how hard the snow removal efforts are. Pay loaders needed in some places...plows just won't cut it. But these days everyone has an inflated sense of self entitlement...their attitude should come as no surprise.

i saw pics of hamden, no way they had 40 inches, not even close to that on the ground from what i saw.

With the amount of snow, Im sure its settled quite a bit. I could believe they're a few inches high...but I think most of the 36" reports in that area are legit. Just watching the radar that night and seeing the reports, it was damn obvious places were gonna push 3 feet easy. Even here I think we would've gotten close had we not mixed for 3 hours. So maybe they're 37-38" and not 40"...does it really matter that much?

2' of heavy heavy snow (1 foot down in the valley) in October knocking out almost a million people takes a LONG time to restore.

A tropical storm knocking out that many people takes a LONG time to restore.

A legit hurricane knocking out that many people, flooding substations, taking down the huge transmission lines etc takes a LONG time to restore.

CT has been hit really hard the last couple of years, **** happens.

oh they are finding out this week, lets see how long the power stays out down there. Also do not ever forget the major issues are in a small geo area down there while those three storms effected 10's of millions. All resources can be directed to SE Mass. Do not know what scooteroo is talking about all 3 states banned travel at the same time.

oh they are finding out this week, lets see how long the power stays out down there. Also do not ever forget the major issues are in a small geo area down there while those three storms effected 10's of millions. All resources can be directed to SE Mass. Do not know what scooteroo is talking about all 3 states banned travel at the same time.

I don't think so.

A little scary looking at 5-6 ft drifts on rooves and moderate rain.

Crews have done everything the can, we have 300 culdesac's in town and you can't just plow them, nowhere to put the snow, so each one needs to be pulled back and loaded into trucks then brought to the beach.

Metro north station closed, simply no place to put all the snow, I saw a 200yd long pile of snow 30'+ high on the northbound side LOL

Snow piles are just incredible..........sleet and rain not helping and it looks like another snowstorm for at least southern ct mid week and another potential this weekend.  Incredible times.

yep-2-3 weeks of fun and games before the MJO moves into MORCH....back edge of the rain approaching quickly thankfully....

Funny thing I'd our town faired the storm pretty well power wise...but 16% went dark this morning. Ours went out for a minute or two but came back thankfully.

Old Lyme just got it back this morning. 2+ days out. They were the last town restored this go around. The snow really slowed restoration for the ~50k that were out at the peak of outages compared to how quickly they were getting people turned back on after Sandy.

After this, I'll never take heat for granted. House is at about 52 degrees and having at least 4 layers of clothes is the new fashion trend. Every house I pass with electricity fluttering from it I despise. Amazing how many trees came down around here, between this and Irene, nature us doing one hell of a trimming job. I think I found a new form of torture as well, forcing someone to sit on a classic toilet seat in a 50 something degree house.

Archived