• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

After this, I'll never take heat for granted. House is at about 52 degrees and having at least 4 layers of clothes is the new fashion trend. Every house I pass with electricity fluttering from it I despise. Amazing how many trees came down around here, between this and Irene, nature us doing one hell of a trimming job. I think I found a new form of torture as well, forcing someone to sit on a classic toilet seat in a 50 something degree house.

Tree down pics? hope you get power soon, any estimates?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't quote on my cell for some reason, no pictures of damage, this is the first time I've had a full charge since the power went out Friday night, nstar had told us to we may have it by Wednesday...maybe, but I'm hoping it's by today with seeing the progress of houses with lights on get closer and closer to my neighborhood. My town is at about 50% out, that's nothing compared to the town next to me plympton, they're still at about 90something%. It's brutal, really and the thought of having another storm this week is honestly sickening and that's coming from a snow addict.

Yeah, not sure what it's like in taunton but can't imagine it's too much better, ventured out for the first time yesterday and was met with constant road blocks from downed trees and where there are downed trees the roads are impassable because the plows couldn't get through. A lot of the power trucks I've seen in town are from Oklahoma, that was weird to see. The local Wal-Marts parking lot in Plymouth was being use as a staging area for the tree and outer companies.

2' of heavy heavy snow (1 foot down in the valley) in October knocking out almost a million people takes a LONG time to restore.

A tropical storm knocking out that many people takes a LONG time to restore.

A legit hurricane knocking out that many people, flooding substations, taking down the huge transmission lines etc takes a LONG time to restore.

CT has been hit really hard the last couple of years, **** happens.

Yes, s*** happens, but they have done pretty bad. Neighboring towns across the border in both RI and MA in some of these storms were back to normal days before the CT towns...right next to eachother. Nobody says dealing with this stuff is easy, but we talk in relative terms when comparing how response is. CT in general is just worse at keeping their roads clear...I don't know what it is but I see it all the time on 84. You go from relatively clear roads in MA on 84 right over the border into a sh**show. It could be a budgeting thing, maybe they have a lower budget for road cleanup/prevention...but if they do, then that's something the state needs to fix.

I notice it alot on 91 going from ma to ct ma is clear you get to the turn around on the ma ct line and lanes are covered 

Yes, s*** happens, but they have done pretty bad. Neighboring towns across the border in both RI and MA in some of these storms were back to normal days before the CT towns...right next to eachother. Nobody says dealing with this stuff is easy, but we talk in relative terms when comparing how response is. CT in general is just worse at keeping their roads clear...I don't know what it is but I see it all the time on 84. You go from relatively clear roads in MA on 84 right over the border into a sh**show. It could be a budgeting thing, maybe they have a lower budget for road cleanup/prevention...but if they do, then that's something the state needs to fix.

Here's how the Star Hill bubble collapsed

February 10, 2013|By PETER MARTEKA, VANESSA DE LA TORRE, The Hartford Courant

Early Saturday afternoon, Mike Ritter was watching TV with his wife, Kathy, in their living room when she noticed something different about the Star Hill Athletic Center Dome in Tolland, which can be seen from their living room window.

The bubble-like structure was starting to collapse in the middle.

"It was creepy," Mike Ritter said Sunday from his home on Woodside Drive. When he woke up Sunday, it was gone

The structure, which covers the facilities' three soccer fields, two basketball courts and track had completed come down by early Sunday.

"No one was inside the dome, no one was around the dome," director of operations Nick Odell said Sunday. "Nobody was hurt."

Odell said the weight of the snow played a part in the dome's collapse but Star Hill is still assessing the damage and the reason for the collapse.

"We can't speculate on how or why it happened until we look at all the associated factors," Odell said.

Ritter said the middle of the dome started to sink first and then over time the rest of the structure started to bend toward the middle.

"It was just weird," Ritter said.

Odell said the owners have a team of experts coming to the site Monday to evaluate the damage. He said there is no timetable on when the dome will be open again but they're hopeful it could be repaired.

"It could be a week or several weeks,'' Odell said.

Note the snowfall total

Star Hill Friends,

The historic blizzard this weekend took an exceptionally hard toll on the facility. Despite around the clock efforts by dozens of people who worked to clear the snow safely from the dome, the volume and the weight of 33+" of snow caused enough damage for the dome to collapse.

We are in the process of assessing the damage; a team of experts will be on-site today and tomorrow to help us develop and implement a recovery plan. We don't know at this time whether the dome will be closed for a week or several weeks. We have optimistic intentions to be operational next weekend.

Needless to say, all activities in the dome (leagues, clinics, rentals) are cancelled through Friday, February 15th. We will be in touch with all birthday party reservations. We will develop a reschedule plan for all leagues.

We plan on having the fitness and aquatics center open tomorrow, (Monday February 11th) and will operate Monday-Friday 4:30AM - 10PM, Saturday 7AM-7PM, and Sunday 8AM - 6PM until further notice. Please check the website for any further updates. We have received overwhelming support from our members/customers to offer to assist us and we appreciate everyone's support and patience.

We will send follow up emails on a daily basis to keep everyone informed.

Thank you,

The Star Hill Family

www.starhillsports.com

Back up to 94k outages at one point, about 91k now.  New lines being brought down by rain in the snow.  They made great progress yesterday but are being hampered today.  Sadly I think Thursday may be optimistic for smaller outages.

Approaching 3 days post storm and we're just now getting to where we were in the worst of the more recent storm outages (sandy etc)

First Selectman just said hoping for school Wed, but worried about buses, school bus stops...........visibility impaired from snowbanks etc etc......State roads cleared working on side roads, schools have not been touched, starting that process tonight.

Flooding now in town near North Benson road the underpasses are filling up.........this will turn into a glacier and more snow on the way lol.

Epicness

40 degrees out...amazing weather fluctuations...went to bed last night and it was 13...snow absorbing the rain, can hear things shifting on the roof...i hope there are no roof collapses...

i feel like people would learn by now...clear furnace vents/chimneys, make sure car exhausts aren't blocked, watch for ice dams and snow build up on rooves...but seems like almost every winter, people die of C02 poisoning and structures collapse, ice dams cause major water damage...

are we dumb, lazy, or is just some of these things unavoidable?

Archived