• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

A quick question for the Mets on the board. Did anyone see any tornadic or rotation signatures in the S.Shore of Mass. area (Scituate, Marshfield, Duxbury, Plymouth and Plympton) btwn the hours of 9PM Friday and 4AM, Sat?

In driving the area doing storm coverage we have seen myriad instances of major, old-growth trees down from most every direction, not just east and northeast from where the winds were blowing.

NWS/ Taunton, rather rudely I may add, says they saw no rotation but these fallen trees indicate otherwise. Just curious as to anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick question for the Mets on the board. Did anyone see any tornadic or rotation signatures in the S.Shore of Mass. area (Scituate, Marshfield, Duxbury, Plymouth and Plympton) btwn the hours of 9PM Friday and 4AM, Sat?

In driving the area doing storm coverage we have seen myriad instances of major, old-growth trees down from most every direction, not just east and northeast from where the winds were blowing.

NWS/ Taunton, rather rudely I may add, says they saw no rotation but these fallen trees indicate otherwise. Just curious as to anyone's thoughts. Thanks.

That sounds like it would be impossible to have in a winter storm. I think the damage was just the heavy wet snow combined with strong winds. Don't forget winds shifted NNW and was almost 90 degrees different from earlier that evening. That may have caused the look of trees falling in different directions.

"That sounds like it would be impossible to have in a winter storm. I think the damage was just the heavy wet snow combined with strong winds. Don't forget winds shifted NNW and was almost 90 degrees different from earlier that evening. That may have caused the look of trees falling in different directions."

Thanks for the input. It was, in fact, the 2nd wildest storm out of the hundreds I've been out in along the Mid-Atlantic and New England coasts. Only the `78 storm was worse and it was MUCH worse. Not even close to this one.

"That sounds like it would be impossible to have in a winter storm. I think the damage was just the heavy wet snow combined with strong winds. Don't forget winds shifted NNW and was almost 90 degrees different from earlier that evening. That may have caused the look of trees falling in different directions."

Thanks for the input. It was, in fact, the 2nd wildest storm out of the hundreds I've been out in along the Mid-Atlantic and New England coasts. Only the `78 storm was worse and it was MUCH worse. Not even close to this one.

well that settles it.

Totally agree...I also drove through Burlington on 1/3/2010 when they got 34" of snow. The roads were snow-covered but completely passable. Granted that was high ratio fluff, but Burlington was able to keep roads moving during a 3' storm, whereas Connecticut cannot get schools opened 5-6 days after the storm? Give me a break!

We do have excellent snow removal in Dobbs Ferry. The town handled this so well, I was able to do a delivery shift Saturday night with little concern for safety/road conditions besides a few patches on very remote side streets in the hills surrounding town. 

Pretty sure you can't compare cleaning up Burlington to overcrowded Connecticut cities with tiny side streets and in some cases (like here in Waterbury) super steep hills.

Pretty sure you can't compare cleaning up Burlington to overcrowded Connecticut cities with tiny side streets and in some cases (like here in Waterbury) super steep hills.

No, probably not, but I have a hard time imagining any road not being opened or passable  5 days after this storm. Perhaps municipalities should take a note from the fire service and develop mutual aid agreements with other cities/towns or states to provide support if overwhelmed.

That sounds like it would be impossible to have in a winter storm. I think the damage was just the heavy wet snow combined with strong winds. Don't forget winds shifted NNW and was almost 90 degrees different from earlier that evening. That may have caused the look of trees falling in different directions.

Likely correct in a storm of this power. I wonder if the synoptic winds would tear apart any rotation before it got much headway. However, a much more modest storm on Thanksgiving Day 2005 produced two cold air tornados, confirmed as F0 and F1, in midcoast Maine. !st I'd ever heard of such a thing, and perhaps the last.

Likely correct in a storm of this power. I wonder if the synoptic winds would tear apart any rotation before it got much headway. However, a much more modest storm on Thanksgiving Day 2005 produced two cold air tornados, confirmed as F0 and F1, in midcoast Maine. !st I'd ever heard of such a thing, and perhaps the last.

Those occurred on a triple point in which you had enhanced shear, and also low level CAPE because of mild SSTs. That is truly a rare event.

Hey weatherwiz - Its 49 degrees in Massachusetts. You know that pile of snow you were crying about in your driveway? Have you finally managed to shovel it? I know man - it's so HARD when you can't just use the snowblower on the snowpile because there is a car in there, but LAWD........I mean you guys are wayyyyyyyy above normal for temps right now and you STILL have not shoveled that snow yet?

Or should we call in the national guard because SNE can't handle snow removal in 49 degree conditions ROFLMAO LMFAO!

Archived