joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OKX is leading the investigation into record all-time snow in Connecticut. They're reaching out to NCDC Monday morning.

It appears that there are a number of places that broke the existing record which is Falls Village from 1969 at 30.0".

Every town from Stafford Sw to New Haven appears to have broken the record. All of us had 30-37 inches . BOX should also be in it

OKX is leading the investigation into record all-time snow in Connecticut. They're reaching out to NCDC Monday morning.

It appears that there are a number of places that broke the existing record which is Falls Village from 1969 at 30.0". 

That's the record?  Only 30 inches?

Didn't SW CT get crushed in that band in Boxing Day... or what about the February 2006 super-band?  No one topped 30" in 1/12/11?

That's the record?  Only 30 inches?

Didn't SW CT get crushed in that band in Boxing Day... or what about the February 2006 super-band?  No one topped 30" in 1/12/11?

There was a :weenie: measurement of 30" from North Haven but everyone else was in the 20s.

Super band from Feb 06 was high 20s too. 

Every town from Stafford Sw to New Haven appears to have broken the record. All of us had 30-37 inches . BOX should also be in it

Heaviest totals were around New Haven so BOX and OKX agreed that OKX would take the lead and investigate the numbers around New Haven. 

You had like 32" in Tolland so just shy of the higher amounts down around HVN but you would have broken the record too. 

Heaviest totals were around New Haven so BOX and OKX agreed that OKX would take the lead and investigate the numbers around New Haven.

You had like 32" in Tolland so just shy of the higher amounts down around HVN but you would have broken the record too.

If it was just me measuring then you could of course claim that but with over 12 reports of 33-36 from folks all over town I went with 35

There was a :weenie: measurement of 30" from North Haven but everyone else was in the 20s.

Super band from Feb 06 was high 20s too. 

Interesting... wow.  That's hard to believe the state record is only 30" given totals that have happened in neighboring Mass over the years. 

I just looked up Boxing Day and it looks like the amounts I was thinking of were in NJ with a decent number of 30-36 inch totals there. 

Interesting... wow.  That's hard to believe the state record is only 30" given totals that have happened in neighboring Mass over the years. 

I just looked up Boxing Day and it looks like the amounts I was thinking of were in NJ with a decent number of 30-36 inch totals there. 

Massachusetts record is 29" from 1997 in Natick.

Vermont is 42" at Jay Peak. 

The situation around New Haven County is tragic. I have been listening to the police scanner since Fri. Fire/Police/Ems are immobilized.   Hamden currently has a large house on fire off Whitney Ave. Firetruck's cant get anywhere near it. Firemen are trudging through snow with hoses desperately looking for hydrants. The transmissions are  hard to listen to. Live feed here.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=5661

If it was just me measuring then you could of course claim that but with over 12 reports of 33-36 from folks all over town I went with 35

Why not 34"?  ;) 

Essentially it doesn't matter at that amount... especially with wind.  The difference between 30" and 35" is pretty much at the noise level and drifting can likely cause that difference from property to property.

I still remember trying to measure Valentines Day 2007 and it was nearly impossible to get an accurate reading... one area has 40" then the next has 27", etc. 

Its a 24 hour record...not storm total. The 24 hour record in MA is 29" according to NCDC, though I know this is wrong for a fact since ORH had 33.0" in April 1997 and all of it fell in under 24 hours. I'm sure there's been a lot more spots that have beaten that number too.

Radar looks like the best part of the precip is breaking off to the south, so maybe we miss alot of the rain tomorrow...drove to the grocery store awhile ago-roads here are good given the circumstances-down to bare pavement in most spots, but very narrow....guys were shoveling snow off the roof of the grocery store....huge pile on the side of the building!

Its a 24 hour record...not storm total. The 24 hour record in MA is 29" according to NCDC, though I know this is wrong for a fact since ORH had 33.0" in April 1997 and all of it fell in under 24 hours. I'm sure there's been a lot more spots that have beaten that number too.

I thought you guys beat that 29" total in Worc on the Dec 92 storm?

Will, I agree.... Didn't Dec 1992 had 3'+ at Berkshires? and Jan 12, 2011 also had 30+ in by your way and Berkshires also.

29" is too low, way too low. Heck, you could argue that Cape in '05 which had 36-40"+ is better than the 29", for 24 hours that is.

And I am sure, this current Blizzard, had some close calls with that also.

Archived