joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, I agree.... Didn't Dec 1992 had 3'+ at Berkshires? and Jan 12, 2011 also had 30+ in by your way and Berkshires also.

29" is too low, way too low. Heck, you could argue that Cape in '05 which had 36-40"+ is better than the 29", for 24 hours that is.

And I am sure, this current Blizzard, had some close calls with that also.

Was it all in 24H?

Yeah, for Jan 12, North Haven was absolutely getting pounded that day. I recall seeing the radar, it just sat there.

The problem is... for 3 or 4 years... every snowstorm has a jackpot in North Haven. Granted, they've been a good spot, but it seems like there are some weenie measurements going on there tacking on an extra 1 to 2 inches in most storms. We wait in the wx center for teh PNS to chuckle at the North Haven/Clintonville measurement. 

The problem is... for 3 or 4 years... every snowstorm has a jackpot in North Haven. Granted, they've been a good spot, but it seems like there are some weenie measurements going on there tacking on an extra 1 to 2 inches in most storms. We wait in the wx center for teh PNS to chuckle at the North Haven/Clintonville measurement. 

Do you think for the current blizzard, the 37-40" is too high? Hamden-Clintonville? But it would make sense given other towns in the county also had 35-36". I do think 40" might be the new state record, but we shall see what NWS says.

North Haven was kind of a snow hole for me when I was growing up -- we didn't get much throughout the 2000s. Not sure who's measuring in No. Haven or No.Branford, but the numbers usually line up with what I have eye-balled. Doesn't anyone go to verify those measurements? 

For the storm with the 30" measurement, snow totals varied widely in No. Haven, where my house close to the center of the town had a lot more snow than a couple miles down the road.  It was really bizarre to see the range. 30 might have been a little high for that one, but not out of the question.

I'm satisfied with the report of 30+" just to the East in Winchester. No matter how accurate you try someone will always question. So no longer will I report my totals. There are enoigh reporters in and around to render mine mute.

EPIC, HISTORIC but '78 will still be the benchmark. Two hours with the use of snowblower and still had to shovel. Can only imagine if a block was in place and this stalled. 

Man..........I doubt they can have school on Wed either here, took a quick drive to the local schools......there is simply nowhere to put the snow, coming around with loaders on most streets to take snow away.  Just a total crush job, absolutely pounded.

The snowpiles at the metro station and in town are ridiculous and they have not even plowed the parking lots yet, some seriously epic pics coming over the next couple days from those spots, then the beach where they are bringing the snow.

Coastal Ct winter for sure.

Man..........I doubt they can have school on Wed either here, took a quick drive to the local schools......there is simply nowhere to put the snow, coming around with loaders on most streets to take snow away. Just a total crush job, absolutely pounded.

The snowpiles at the metro station and in town are ridiculous and they have not even plowed the parking lots yet, some seriously epic pics coming over the next couple days from those spots, then the beach where they are bringing the snow.

Dont you think rain and near 50 will melt most of it tomorrow?

Man..........I doubt they can have school on Wed either here, took a quick drive to the local schools......there is simply nowhere to put the snow, coming around with loaders on most streets to take snow away. Just a total crush job, absolutely pounded.

NCT has had more but it is a south of Pike special year

I know who the person is that submits these weenie totals in North Haven.  Maybe you do as well Ryan? They are always a few inches over actual obs and are not legit. (My parents live in North Haven and I am in downtown Wallingford.)

I will say that Wallingford did recieve 35" and the reports I have seen out of Hamden of 40" seem legit.

Hydro Quebec swooped in this afternoon and made significant progress in Plymouth and Bourne.  Plymouth has gone from 92 to 61% and Bourne 91 to 53% per last check.  Places like Mattapoisett are still screwed.  31 out of 3800 homes have power.  Marshfield is a mess too.  Sandwich and Barnstable still have massive tree and pole damage blocking roads.

Nstar projects 4 more full days before most are back online.

Oh, and the side roads are hideous in Plymouth, Wareham etc.  Bourne is pretty good.  I half think the lack of cars on the roads kept the stuff packed down better.  Plows seem to have bounced right over the 3" crud on the bottom.  It's like driving in Mogadishu around here right now.  Most gas stations are empty.  Some have only the premium fuel.  Pumps were damaged at many that were exposed.

Pictures Monday.  I'm pretty shocked by some of what I saw.  You don't see metal light poles torn down often.  The tops of trees in Buttermilk Bay were "de needled" like I saw down in 91 in south Florida as I approached the damage path from Andrew (aside of those being leaves)

if they cleared the board every six hours i could easily see 40 inch totals in that area, i am just dying to know what an average depth measurement was in those parts

i lost over three inches of snow to compaction/settling comparing the board clearing to an average depth assesment towards the very end of the storm shortly after the last time i cleared. i went with 24 bc 25 seemed to be bordering on overinflated and i am seriously thinking about lowering the event total an inch because i do not ever want to be "that guy" that reported too much snow.

the snow in the beginning was very dense. for me was just under 25 clearing to an avg depth of 21.5 and i was in an area where while heavily obstructed with trees and houses, there werent any real crazy drifts.

Its always funny the snow questioning that goes on after storms. Lol

I only had 20 in 78 because the Westerly airport dude reported that on the runway according to some, yet the poster from Westerly today said he has 20 plus while the airport is reporting 16. Even around here you can see in 2miles 4" difference, hopefully mesoscale banding in superstorm is researched better. Just looking at airport data never gives a true report of superstorms. I have been preaching this for years.

I submitted this storm total yesterday morning (the public one)l to Upton 2 hours before the skywarn spotter report. It doesn't matter in the end. With totals like these everyone should be happy.

YALESVILLE            35.0   909 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTERWALLINGFORD           35.0   700 AM  2/09  PUBLIC

HAMDEN                40.0   100 PM  2/09  PUBLIC   MILFORD               38.0   615 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   CLINTONVILLE          37.0  1040 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   OXFORD                36.2   600 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   NORTH BRANFORD        36.0  1100 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   MERIDEN               36.0   200 PM  2/09  PUBLIC   YALESVILLE            35.0   909 AM  2/09  SKYWARN SPOTTER   WALLINGFORD           35.0   700 AM  2/09  PUBLIC   NEW HAVEN             34.3   600 AM  2/09  CT DOT

if they cleared the board every six hours i could easily see 40 inch totals in that area, i am just dying to know what an average depth measurement was in those parts

i lost over three inches of snow to compaction/settling comparing the board clearing to an average depth assesment towards the very end of the storm shortly after the last time i cleared. i went with 24 bc 25 seemed to be bordering on overinflated and i am seriously thinking about lowering the event total an inch because i do not ever want to be "that guy" that reported too much snow.

the snow in the beginning was very dense. for me was just under 25 clearing to an avg depth of 21.5 and i was in an area where while heavily obstructed with trees and houses, there werent any real crazy drifts.

I didn't clear a board every six hours and measured 32" on average away from any drift first thing Saturday morning. Maybe 3 or 4" from compaction? Is there a way to calculate this?

I didn't clear a board every six hours and measured 32" on average away from any drift first thing Saturday morning. Maybe 3 or 4" from compaction? Is there a way to calculate this?

i thought it was usually an average around 10pct but can be more in fluff bombs or if sleet gets involved..so then it stands to reason that you couldve had 35 or 36 at least if you had cleared a board every six hours

i was one of the biggest opponents to this clearing the board thing but have come around to it some.

i cant even fathom an avg depth from this storm thta was almost a foot greater than what my avg depth was...to me another three or four inches of depth or greater than what i had would make a manageable event become borderline crippling.

Archived