Newest Member
    joxey
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ton of snow on 84 from kev to 91. The damn third lane doesn't exist

Yup.  We took a ride up 84 to Storrs from West Hartford and while the middle lanes were clear that far right lane is friggin dangerous.....don't drive in it.....three times I had some idiot come flying up on the right and then all of a sudden he's got no lane cuz of the snow piles.....talk about sketchy.....

Finally all dug out!  Well except the driveway...our driveway will be looking like this until it melts.  THANK GOD our mom's car isn't in service or we would be screwed b/c we would have to move all this snow.

66104_327972607303533_1496865320_n.jpg

The driveway is what did me in yesterday.....that and the fact I had to clear an additional 10 feet into the road that I don't normally have to clear......man that was a biotch

Man..........I doubt they can have school on Wed either here, took a quick drive to the local schools......there is simply nowhere to put the snow, coming around with loaders on most streets to take snow away.  Just a total crush job, absolutely pounded.

The snowpiles at the metro station and in town are ridiculous and they have not even plowed the parking lots yet, some seriously epic pics coming over the next couple days from those spots, then the beach where they are bringing the snow.

Coastal Ct winter for sure.

Any update on when they are going to get Metro North running up there? Limited service is running local from Stamford to GCT, they haven't shoveled the express tracks out yet, and no signs of life east of Stamford. With tomorrow being a workday, it's probably going to be an ugly commute.

EDIT: just saw the press release, limited service to new haven resumes tomorrow.

-skisheep

I didn't clear a board every six hours and measured 32" on average away from any drift first thing Saturday morning. Maybe 3 or 4" from compaction? Is there a way to calculate this?

Yeah it seems to me the heaviest totals run from Northford to Hamden to Milford and generally are about 3 feet. There may have been a bit more but, unfortunately, we've gotten a number of exaggerated snowfall reports from North Haven in the past 3 years so we generally just toss those tight away.

40" is possible but my guess is that it's more like 3 feet.

It's also important to note that the impact that 3 feet of water-logged snow will have on Hamden. It's going to look horrible. Hamden is also a city... so the same amount of snow there compared to Wallingford... is going to be a lot tougher to move around. 

Yeah it seems to me the heaviest totals run from Northford to Hamden to Milford and generally are about 3 feet. There may have been a bit more but, unfortunately, we've gotten a number of exaggerated snowfall reports from North Haven in the past 3 years so we generally just toss those tight away.

40" is possible but my guess is that it's more like 3 feet.

It's also important to note that the impact that 3 feet of water-logged snow will have on Hamden. It's going to look horrible. Hamden is also a city... so the same amount of snow there compared to Wallingford... is going to be a lot tougher to move around. 

It was interesting driving around today...in parts of the city where the roads are narrower and less room to put the snow, it looked like they got a lot more. Some of the snow banks are staggering. Some of those older parts of the city in New Haven are probably in terrible shape trying to deal with the snow...esp since a lot of it was mashed potatoes before it turned powdery.

24 hour records are very tough to document because if a COOP or some other official measurement only measures once in a day, then you won't be able to tell when the snow started or stopped all the time.

Apparently they can accept non-coop records. I didn't know that. I have looked at accepted state records in the past 10 years and they look at all sorts of stuff and investigate. OKX is starting Monday AM apparently. 

It was interesting driving around today...in parts of the city where the roads are narrower and less room to put the snow, it looked like they got a lot more. Some of the snow banks are staggering. Some of those older parts of the city in New Haven are probably in terrible shape trying to deal with the snow...esp since a lot of it was mashed potatoes before it turned powdery.

With a 3" layer of sleet/hail/graupel in the middle lol.

Yeah Hamden, New Haven, and Bridgeport are going to be really, really ugly. Surrounding towns that had just as much will be much better as they're more residential and (relatively) rural. 

RYAN is it possible that Hamden did not have that mix and that made the difference. Still can't believe a lot of those 30+ areas sleeted hailed and lost depth, amazing

Hamden pounded pellets too. There was mixing as far northwest as towns like Seymour and north toward Wallingford.

It wasn't your typical sleet though. It was a lot of big graupel mixed with monster parachutes that still piled up fast. That, coupled with the snow before it being relatively wet and heavy, meant there wasn't a ton of compaction.

The only reason I'm doubting the 40" is that the only other measurements that high 38" in No Haven came from the person known for slantsticking and the 38" in Milford that Gibbs called BS on. The rest of the numbers are basically 3ft or less. 

I'm actually a little upset I didn't get thunder snow.  I thought I saw flashes a few times when I went outside but never heard thunder.  May have just been my eyes adjusting to the difference to the brightness being displayed by my surroundings or maybe a plow or I blinked fast but I'm upset.  

Archived