wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really have F'd up my right arm from shoveling. It started in my elbow the next day but now severe forearm and wrist pain. My right forearm is all swollen and I can feel/ hear grinding and can't bend it without pain. I looked online and it sounds like it might be tendon damage

Mt Tolland piles to be retired. At least we can all say we saw the last pile standing.

I can see it in the inner cities. Granted I witnessed BTV (small scale but city streets and such) after Valentines Day 07, which was around 30" of wind packed snow, remove all the snow within like 36 hours. They started with front end loaders even before the storm started and seemed well prepared...but maybe that's a place with a large snow removal budget.

I'm just surprised at the non-city spots still struggling. Like ModFan said, how is Woodstock's 25-30" cleared immediately on 60 miles of local roads while other areas in the state aren't plowed yet? lol.

Totally agree...I also drove through Burlington on 1/3/2010 when they got 34" of snow. The roads were snow-covered but completely passable. Granted that was high ratio fluff, but Burlington was able to keep roads moving during a 3' storm, whereas Connecticut cannot get schools opened 5-6 days after the storm? Give me a break!

We do have excellent snow removal in Dobbs Ferry. The town handled this so well, I was able to do a delivery shift Saturday night with little concern for safety/road conditions besides a few patches on very remote side streets in the hills surrounding town. 

Totally agree...I also drove through Burlington on 1/3/2010 when they got 34" of snow. The roads were snow-covered but completely passable. Granted that was high ratio fluff, but Burlington was able to keep roads moving during a 3' storm, whereas Connecticut cannot get schools opened 5-6 days after the storm? Give me a break!

We do have excellent snow removal in Dobbs Ferry. The town handled this so well, I was able to do a delivery shift Saturday night with little concern for safety/road conditions besides a few patches on very remote side streets in the hills surrounding town.

You got like 9 inches of snow

You idiot. It's not over. If we get snow tomorrow nite or this weekend I'm going to at least attempt to shovel. I may not be able to but will try
It was about your age I bought a snowblower, getting old sucks as you are finding out, wait until your hips and knees start grinding from the daily beating you are given them by running.

I really have F'd up my right arm from shoveling. It started in my elbow the next day but now severe forearm and wrist pain. My right forearm is all swollen and I can feel/ hear grinding and can't bend it without pain. I looked online and it sounds like it might be tendon damage

Blizzy my boy, sounds like intersection syndrome.  I had it, it goes away but you have to take it easy.  2-3 weeks usually.  Feels like grinding in your arm when you bend your hand backward right?  It's fluid at a triple point of tendon/muscle sheaths.  It sucks but it goes away on its own.  RICE and you'll be good.

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/intersection-syndrome

Nice looking map..The best frontal nudity a weenie could ever dream up

1vUBn.png

looks like they finally moved that under 20 inch band a tad ne of me...i have not seen anyone on here in the area that had less than 20 inches..my god i measured two feet with nearly a 22 inch depth!! but alas i have found that these maps and even the ones in the k/u book are frequently somewhat off scale

still wicked jealous of those back in my old stomping grounds that had three feet lol

Thats true, but I'll take  a trained observer over a ski areas estimates. :santa:

Not to go off-topic but...

Yes because someone who works and measures at a ski area couldn't possibly know what they are doing.

;)

A stake attached to a snow board and a depth stake at both 1500ft and 3000ft in sheltered clearings in the woods...I've personally been measuring these for over 5 winters now. The 15 year average is 317" so you are entitled to your opinion, but thanks to upslope this spot may average more than summit of MWN. However, a place like Hermit Shelter near Tuckermans Ravine likely averages more snow than the summit, just like my 3000ft spot on Mansfield averages more than the Co-Op at the summit.

Summit measuring practices include measuring snow in an 8-inch diameter rain gauge on wind swept rock. Try getting snow falling horizontally to fall into a tennis ball container. Snowfall is supposed to reflect what's on the ground and its usually bare rock at the summits, so no surprise they don't get a lot of "snowfall." If it falls but doesn't accumulate is it really snowfall? It's like if it snows all day at your house but never accumulates to much on the ground...you don't record that as snowfall.

That's how you can tell you're 40 or close to it...at 30, you'd have a little back pain....and that would be that...

TBH I could've clear those 3 feet in that storm with a leaf blower. The Valentines Day 2007 storm would be a more accurate comparison of 30" of wind packed, dense nor'easter snow.

Freak, how well do you remember the 1/3/2010 storm?

Wasn't that the best one up there?

That's the all time record but probably the lowest impact 3 feet you'll ever see. There was only like 1.1-1.2 inches of liquid or something absurd like that.

I love all snow but there's something about 30" of 8:1 or 10:1 synoptic snow that's awesome.

It was about your age I bought a snowblower, getting old sucks as you are finding out, wait until your hips and knees start grinding from the daily beating you are given them by running.

Amen. I used to shovel my driveway. If we got a big storm, I'd go out a couple times. When we moved to a house with a 300' driveway, I bought a snowblower. Wish I had done that way before.

You idiot. It's not over. If we get snow tomorrow nite or this weekend I'm going to at least attempt to shovel. I may not be able to but will try

if it is tendinitis, the best course of action is to get the swelling down, anti-inflamatories and ice every couple of hours and keep it elevated. rest (lack of use) helps also. if it persists a cortisone shot will make you feel brand new (for a while)

Hartford has done a horrible job clearing snow around St. Francis Hospital....Woodland Street which is the main road to access the hospital is four lanes normally but is now two....the surrounding roads - Farmington Ave, Asylum St, Sisson, and Homestead which feed into the hospital are equally squeezed down to two lanes.....I spent two hours down there yesterday trying to get to my sons daycare (St. Francis daycare cuz my wife works for the hospital) on Woodland....traffic totally jammed up not moving like at 5:30 pm.....eventually I parked and walked the final three blocks....While I was walking I watched ambulances with sirens blazing try to get through the jam....multiple times they could not and had to wait several minutes just to get through.....I'm pretty shocked that Hartford would not focus on access to key sites like hospitals first.....this also happened back in Jan 2011 when we had deep pack.....all around fail here IMO....especially four days out....

Thats true, but I'll take  a trained observer over a ski areas estimates. :santa:

PF is a trained observer, very evident from his posts/pics from Stowe. (And his response to this post is lots better than mine.)

When it comes to snow clearing, N.Maine when I was there (1976-85, and probably still today) was in another league for efficiency. Only where roads went through the large potato fields was there ever problems in getting around, even during the height of storms. Best evidence, which I've posted often enough to bore people, is that Fort Kent lost 1.5 days total in the ten winters we lived there, and the one whole day was a freaky storm, forecast for 1-3" but dumped 18.5" overnight. (Only 10" CAR, 3.5" PQI - a St.John Valley special.) The half day was in the 24"+ storm of March 1984 (CAR got 29"); students were bused home without incident at mid-day, with 12-14" new and 3"/hr rates.

Archived