• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

Closing schools for multiple days due to a weekend snowstorm seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Even having Monday off was pushing it, but 3 days for a storm that hit Friday night? What wusses we've become...

School doesn't need to be closed unless there's actually snow-covered roads or widespread power outages. Neither of those is the case anymore. This is silly.

Its simple really...but a bad decision...  The town PD ordered the plows off the roads in the height of the event for "safety", so when they hit the road again there was too much to plow.  Loaders had to be used on every single side road...clearing 10' buckets widths at time...equals days to clear...I just had my road done today

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Closing schools for multiple days due to a weekend snowstorm seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Even having Monday off was pushing it, but 3 days for a storm that hit Friday night? What wusses we've become...

School doesn't need to be closed unless there's actually snow-covered roads or widespread power outages. Neither of those is the case anymore. This is silly.

Then you should probably come up here. 3 feet of water logged snow and sleet is virtually impossible to move. Plows aren't doing jack now you need heavy equipment to do it. Many roads are still only one lane (and a narrow lane at that) with piles of snow 5 or 6 feet high on the side. Probably not the best idea to have kids waiting for the bus in that. 

It's the worst snowstorm in 125 years I think we can cut the schools and towns some slack. 

Its simple really...but a bad decision...  The town PD ordered the plows off the roads in the height of the event for "safety", so when they hit the road again there was too much to plow.  Loaders had to be used on every single side road...clearing 10' buckets widths at time...equals days to clear...I just had my road done today

I can't blame the towns for doing that at the height of the storm. It most certainly wasn't safe to drive for the 4 or 5 hours of the worst snow and wind. I've never thought that about any winter storm (other than trees snapping like toothpicks in october 2011) but if I was a mayor I would have done the same thing. 

Then you should probably come up here. 3 feet of water logged snow and sleet is virtually impossible to move. Plows aren't doing jack now you need heavy equipment to do it. Many roads are still only one lane (and a narrow lane at that) with piles of snow 5 or 6 feet high on the side. Probably not the best idea to have kids waiting for the bus in that. 

It's the worst snowstorm in 125 years I think we can cut the schools and towns some slack. 

Would you say this was worse than '78 as a whole, or do you mean just the HVN areas.

lol

Agree...people are bashing Shelton all over FB and other social media.  It may have bean a bad idea to yank the plows, but we wouldn't have been that much better off I'm sure...

Roads still unplowed and schools closed. They seem to be making head way in surrounding towns. Bdr just does not have the equipment or the organization to clear those tight city streets. Buffalo bringing loaders and etc.

Oh yeah I heard a report from dmv, the town did not heed the calls to stay off the roads, they said plows were in between cars on packed city streets, cars got stuck then the plows got stuck during the insane snowfall rates.

everyond parked on the streets etc, place is a disaster what a nightmare.

you have zero clue dude.  we're talking 30 inches of snow.

If they'd kept plowing during the storm, it wouldn't have been 3' of snow on roads to deal with. You can't just leave all of the snow to do at once, it has to be a continuous effort.  

Also, we had almost 2 feet in Westchester County and roads were clear by Saturday noon-time. It takes four more days to clear 1' more of snow? I was able to drive my car Saturday morning without a problem in an area that received 18-20" of snow. 

I can understand closing Monday, but that already gives you three days for clean-up (Saturday, Sunday, Monday). They really need another 3 days after that?

If they'd kept plowing during the storm, it wouldn't have been 3' of snow on roads to deal with. You can't just leave all of the snow to do at once, it has to be a continuous effort.  

Also, we had almost 2 feet in Westchester County and roads were clear by Saturday noon-time. It takes four more days to clear 1' more of snow? I was able to drive my car Saturday morning without a problem in an area that received 18-20" of snow. 

I can understand closing Monday, but that already gives you three days for clean-up (Saturday, Sunday, Monday). They really need another 3 days after that?

Dude, you had fluff. We are talking 3' of sand.

Don't forget, people are sue happy. If little Johnny or Suzy gets hit by a car because the sidewalks are not plowed...lawsuit city. You would be surprised how much the fear of lawsuits goes into planning these.

I can vouch that stop signs etc are covered here, people are actually putting cones on top of the snowbanks on either side of there driveway so motorists can see them, two people got hit in milford yesterday, sidewalks not cleared walking on roads.

It is what it is 30 inches of paste then powder from east on the shore towns will do that.  Insane rates from 9pm to4am plus blowingand driftingback on the roads

And even they are getting sh*t. All in all having the snow be lighter did help. If this was 28" of wet snow..whole different ballgame.

The thing with snow removal is once it gets away from you, there is not recovering. Boston did it well with closing the city and parking banned etc.

If its snowing 3-4 inches a hour, no keeping up with that. Unless you have some type of division set up. In Chicago a mayor actually lost the election over snow removal. It was many years ago

Roads still unplowed and schools closed. They seem to be making head way in surrounding towns. Bdr just does not have the equipment or the organization to clear those tight city streets. Buffalo bringing loaders and etc.

It doesn't help that BDR is a relatively poor city. In these situations they really need the federal disaster money, and not 6 months later when some bureaucrat finally decides that it was a big enough deal to pay out.

Would you say this was worse than '78 as a whole, or do you mean just the HVN areas.

I'd say for CT this is on par with 1978 for many parts of CT but the most urban part of the state (Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, and Bridgeport) this storm was worse. 

So E CT for sure not as bad as 78 but much worse for the I-91 corridor and the cities. 

It doesn't help that BDR is a relatively poor city. In these situations they really need the federal disaster money, and not 6 months later when some bureaucrat finally decides that it was a big enough deal to pay out.

During jan 2011 Newark only plowed main roads and let side streets go unplowed. The town ran out of money, but the snow did melt eventually

Archived