CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure the argument here. Are you saying 26" of fluff is the same as 36" of cement? It gets exponentially more difficult to remove snow above 18" or so..and even moreso with wet snow. Even here, I did not see one pickup truck plow are streets. All done with heavy equipment.

I can see it in the inner cities. Granted I witnessed BTV (small scale but city streets and such) after Valentines Day 07, which was around 30" of wind packed snow, remove all the snow within like 36 hours. They started with front end loaders even before the storm started and seemed well prepared...but maybe that's a place with a large snow removal budget.

I'm just surprised at the non-city spots still struggling. Like ModFan said, how is Woodstock's 25-30" cleared immediately on 60 miles of local roads while other areas in the state aren't plowed yet? lol.

I can see it in the inner cities. Granted I witnessed BTV (small scale but city streets and such) after Valentines Day 07, which was around 30" of wind packed snow, remove all the snow within like 36 hours. They started with front end loaders even before the storm started and seemed well prepared...but maybe that's a place with a large snow removal budget.

I'm just surprised at the non-city spots still struggling. Like ModFan said, how is Woodstock's 25-30" cleared immediately on 60 miles of local roads while other areas in the state aren't plowed yet? lol.

The 25-30 up there was much fluffier. Huge difference between 25-30 of powder and 25-30 of cement. 

The city of Hartford is in decent (not great, but decent) shape. Virtually all roads were somewhat passable yesterday.

Some of it is snow removal budget. I mean these aren't the snowiest cities on the planet, but I think a large part of it was the shear intensity of the storm hitting a densely populated area.

I need a V for this storm!  I've been struggling so bad even with a F250 7.3 powerstroke...8' on the front and 1k ballast in the rear...  I may as well be plowing with a Jeep!  

I've been stuck countless times, I just leave the tow strap hooked to the back now and throw in the bed when I am done.  I've pulled cars out of the snow, plowed city streets, and gave tons of freebie/favor plows...happy to do it really.  A Storm like this puts weenies in a good mood for a long time!

It does bring out the goodness of people.

It's just different in the cities, there is nowhere to put the snow. Unlike bedroom villages of Stowe and Dobbs Ferry...what do you do with it?

I'm not even comparing here with there...I've seen 2-3 foot storms in both Albany and Burlington that seem cleared up very quickly. It's not rocket science. Parking ban in place, push all the snow into piles in the middle of the street, get a lot of front end loaders and dump trucks, and remove it at night.

Some of it is snow removal budget. I mean these aren't the snowiest cities on the planet, but I think a large part of it was the shear intensity of the storm hitting a densely populated area.

That's probably it...I'm sure BOS doesn't manage a large fleet of front end loaders and dump trucks...things you have to insure, do maintenance on, etc on the off-chance of a snowy winter or 30 inch storm. Up here they have them in cities (and cities like SYR and BUF) not necessarily for large single storms, but most winters there comes a point when it needs to be trucked out after a snowy period.

I'm not even comparing here with there...I've seen 2-3 foot storms in both Albany and Burlington that seem cleared up very quickly. It's not rocket science. Parking ban in place, push all the snow into piles in the middle of the street, get a lot of front end loaders and dump trucks, and remove it at night.

These are cities more populated though. Everyone parks on the street. Then add in equipment breaking down. You then have to allocate what you have and tackle immediate things like roads to hospitals, main routes etc. Then put resources back where they are needed. It does have to do with planning and budgeting to a point, but this whole thing isn't completely a result of poor planning. They also got caught off guard with these insane amounts. Nobody thought 3' at HVN.

That's probably it...I'm sure BOS doesn't manage a large fleet of front end loaders and dump trucks...things you have to insure, do maintenance on, etc on the off-chance of a snowy winter or 30 inch storm. Up here they have them in cities (and cities like SYR and BUF) not necessarily for large single storms, but most winters there comes a point when it needs to be trucked out after a snowy period.

We have a lot of private contractors too.

These are cities more populated though. Everyone parks on the street. Then add in equipment breaking down. You then have to allocate what you have and tackle immediate things like roads to hospitals, main routes etc. Then put resources back where they are needed. It does have to do with planning and budgeting to a point, but this whole thing isn't completely a result of poor planning. They also got caught off guard with these insane amounts. Nobody thought 3' at HVN.

Yeah again I'm just more surprised at relatively more suburban areas that are still closing schools...that's what got me started lol. I grew up in a large suburb with 8 different schools in town and I would've loved 3 snow days for a Friday night storm. I think parents would crucify the district if that was the case.

I have no problem with arguments that certain towns or utilitys weren't ready for widespread power problems after irene/octosnow.... but I think the argument that cities are doing a horrible job is a little premature. Nothing comes close to this in HVN/BDR/MMK since 1888. A cat 2 or 3 hurricane is a more frequent occurrence lol 

Not at all. I don't care about jacks. They had a few more inches than me . What I found fascinating today was the difference between 3 feet of powder vs 3 feet of cement . Very diff type of snow at Tol vs NH . Ryan can attest

Not at all. I don't care about jacks. They had a few more inches than me . What I found fascinating today was the difference between 3 feet of powder vs 3 feet of cement . Very diff type of snow at Tol vs NH . Ryan can attest

Yeah even in W. Hartford apparently the snow was much heavier than up in Simsbury I heard. 

But yeah this is 4/1/97 kinda stuff in New Haven and Bridgeport. No big surprise. 3 feet of snow with a water equivalent over 4 inches or even 4.5 inches will do that. 

Tolland did a phenomenal job and this with being pulled off the roads all night Fri

From the Office of the Town Manager

I want to thank all residents for your patience during this most recent historic storm. Many people have expressed their thanks to the Town for the efforts in opening roads and ensuring public safety as the main priority. Some are concerned with the fact that school has been postponed for two days post storm and are questioning why school parking lots could not have been cleared in the same time frame as public roads. No Town in the State is equipped either person power wise or equipment wise to handle a storm with the amount of snow that fell during the 24 hour period starting last Friday . In a normal snow event we have personnel assigned to roads and personnel assigned to parking lots and sidewalks. They can work on a parallel path. Due to the severity of this storm we had to utilize all personnel to try and keep up with the roads. Our equipment is not sized to push the weight of this accumulation and in many cases we had to work trucks in tandem to handle the snow or make multiple passes. We had trucks that were sliding off the road and due to the strain on the equipment several trucks broke down. We are not like some communities where we have spare equipment, our front line equipment is all we have to use and again no one can make equipment handle more then it sized to handle without possible malfunction. It is a tribute to our mechanics that we are able to keep our equipment running to the extent that it did. Making matters worse, for a period of time the snow was so blinding that we had to take all personnel off the roads. This while necessary for safety reasons, allows the snow to accumulate and makes it all the more difficult to remove when the operation can continue. Once our crews could resume plowing they remained on the roads for extended periods of time opening all roads by Sunday evening. If you are watching the news a number of towns today still have a significant number of roads that have not been opened and others that are open have one lane. Once we opened all roads we had to and continue to today go back and push back snow as much as possible so that roads can be wide enough to accommodate school busses and to make it safe for children walking to bus stops. We also need to make room for what are possible storms midweek and over the weekend. Finally we need to address accumulations at intersections to make it safe for people when turning. While public safety is our main priority in these events we also recognize the need to open school parking lots so as soon as possible after an event so that school can resume. In this case since the lots had not been addressed during the storm, snow removal after the fact requires that pay loaders be used for which we only have two. As you can imagine contractors are hard to come by during an event of this nature, but today we have been able to get some assistance as they are freeing up from their normal customers. By the end of today all parking lots should be open. You should also be aware there is now an issue with snow loads on certain school roofs, but this issue is being addressed by the Board of Education. As you can imagine working in a blinding snow storm, removing snow for 24, 36 , 40 hour plus periods of time with minimal rest, and being away from your own house hold responsibilities during storm conditions is not an easy task. I say this with many years of experience in this business and with all honesty that our Town crews, our Directors of Department operations do their job with more dedication and skill then found in the vast majority of the communities in the state. Our record over the past four major storms that have occurred in this state demonstrates an ability to manage the work so that it is done timely and in a cost efficient manner. Do I wish that after all that we encountered over the weekend our world could be back to normal by today, sure, but knowing that our community can travel safely, that there were no major injuries or loss of life, that property damage was minimal other than the problems at Star Hill makes we confident that the efforts and direction that we took during and after the storm were appropriate and I thank you for your continued support and patience.

Oh I agree..that's why I love Tippy blue wet snow. Much more impressive than fluff. Look at the damage it does....lol.

This storm still has me in awe. I mean it was so wide reaching. The only thing it lacked a bit was severe coastal flooding, but from what I understand it was borderline major on the south shore and major on the north side of the Cape.

Oh I agree..that's why I love Tippy blue wet snow. Much more impressive than fluff. Look at the damage it does....lol.

This storm still has me in awe. I mean it was so wide reaching. The only thing it lacked a bit was severe coastal flooding, but from what I understand it was borderline major on the south shore and major on the north side of the Cape.

24" of fluff is a waste. It's fun at 7:30 in the morning when you open the door and look at the deck and let the dog play in it. 

After this storm I'm actually depressed I may never see a storm like it again. I've never had that feelingt after a storm before.

24" of fluff is a waste. It's fun at 7:30 in the morning when you open the door and look at the deck and let the dog play in it. 

After this storm I'm actually depressed I may never see a storm like it again. I've never had that feelingt after a storm before.

I did after 4/1/97. I knew that would be it.

Phil likely feels the same after Jan 2005.  It's funny how you can come down from such an adrenaline rush. I mean I was up for 36 hours straight practically and then spent hours shoveling...lol. Once that adrenaline rush leaves, you collapse.

I did after 4/1/97. I knew that would be it.

Phil likely feels the same after Jan 2005.  It's funny how you can come down from such an adrenaline rush. I mean I was up for 36 hours straight practically and then spent hours shoveling...lol. Once that adrenaline rush leaves, you collapse.

It's weird working at the station and then having to cover it for a few days after. I guess it keeps it going for a bit but I mean I'll never forget looking at that radar or standing outside at 11 p.m.

I guess walking home in the blizzard from work either lol. 

It's weird working at the station and then having to cover it for a few days after. I guess it keeps it going for a bit but I mean I'll never forget looking at that radar or standing outside at 11 p.m.

I guess walking home in the blizzard from work either lol. 

I regret not being out in it more. Those conditions were so incredible..stupid me. Maybe we'll get one more..lol.

In any case, now it's a slow bleeding of the snowpack through the week.

I regret not being out in it more. Those conditions were so incredible..stupid me. Maybe we'll get one more..lol.

My pack took a beating today. I'm interested to see what I came back to.

I'm also interested in what I would have measured if I was able to every 6 hours. My final depth was 27"... but I'm guessing I may have been able to top 30 by proper measuring.

I shoveled and blew snow as much as I could all night long. I have a portable garage and set up a lantern and took breaks in there so I could geek out on my phone here and radars. Odd thing about being outside for hours was I never once was cold, the adrenaline rush and buzz was self heating. I did not come down until today but never had the post storm depression. Seeing as I witnessed very many storms in my life and many recently I know the possibility is always around the corner. Regarding the cement versus fluff, the difference is thousands of pounds per plow lane. If folks do not grasp that and the fact cities are a whole different animal then they need to take a ride to New Haven Bridgeport areas and just look at the piles. And neighbors helping neighbors is where it's at.

Archived