• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Great Blizzard of 2013 Cleanup

CT Rain

It doesn't help that BDR is a relatively poor city. In these situations they really need the federal disaster money, and not 6 months later when some bureaucrat finally decides that it was a big enough deal to pay out.

there's also a zillion cars parked on the cars--many multi family houses with limited or no driveways....

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't help that BDR is a relatively poor city. In these situations they really need the federal disaster money, and not 6 months later when some bureaucrat finally decides that it was a big enough deal to pay out.

Not true. They already have the disaster declaration so they'll be reimbursed 75% just like they were from Irene or Sandy. The issue is plows aren't doing jack right now. You need heavy equipment and a city like Bridgeport has 800 miles of roads.

You can't equip a public works dept. with 100 front end loaders just waiting for a 1888/2013 repeat. If people want to pay for that kind of preparation than it's doable but I don't think it makes sense.

Even the suburbs are having a hell of a time. My parents still can't get out of their house in Guilford. 

there's also a zillion cars parked on the cars--many multi family houses with limited or no driveways....

Exactly.

Not to mention using the 2/2010 analogy is ridiculous. 4 or 4 1/2 inches of liquid in a 30"-36" snowfall is just not movable with a standard plow. I'm not sure why this is hard to grasp. If Bridgeport had 100 front end loaders they'd be done... instead they have 7 or 8 and are finally getting equipment in from out of state. 

The plows could not push it lol, its that simple it came down to hard and too fast, normal guys losing transmissions on driveways, town plows breaking and not nearly enough loaders and trucks. Tubes is the man but way off here.

To the sw totally different story, I was closing my eyes the last couple days going to clear out folks in darien greenwich and norwalk, completely different storm for them, it was like a line as soon as you hit exit 18 northbound, the snow was doubled almost..............I have never seen a synoptic snow gradient like that before in my lifetime.

I am still amazed there are streets that are not plowed!  We had 27-28 inches here, and roads were open by 8am Sat.  Now Woodstock may not have the population of some of these other communities, but for a town almost 60 square miles our DPW crew did a fantastic job.  I went to my office in Middletown/Cromwell on Monday and road to the office (normally 4 lanes) was only 1 lane!  What an outrage

With rates of 3-4 inches a hr and wind driven there is no keeping up with that. Snow will melt, the drivers life is more important.

You can't completely keep up, but you can make a dent plowing during the storm. That way regular plows, instead of front-end loaders, can clear the streets.

And this storm was basically over for CT by early Saturday morning. They had all of Sunday to clean before schools and businesses would reopen.

It just seems like the towns in CT are always cancelling school for multiple days for weather events...Oct 2011, Feb 2013, etc. I'm not saying it's always unwarranted to cancel school...I'm a teacher and I love snow days and appreciate children's safety. But I do think it's time to go back from this one. They're going to chip deep into summer/vacation etc...

You can't completely keep up, but you can make a dent plowing during the storm. That way regular plows, instead of front-end loaders, can clear the streets.

And this storm was basically over for CT by early Saturday morning. They had all of Sunday to clean before schools and businesses would reopen.

It just seems like the towns in CT are always cancelling school for multiple days for weather events...Oct 2011, Feb 2013, etc. I'm not saying it's always unwarranted to cancel school...I'm a teacher and I love snow days and appreciate children's safety. But I do think it's time to go back from this one. They're going to chip deep into summer/vacation etc...

Nate the trucks could not get down the streets the next day. You need to cut in with that amount of snow. But with cars on both sides you need loaders. Plus room for the snow, which in the city's there is none. You need dump trucks for each street, and place to dump snow.

With visibility so low, they could have stayed out all night and still be sitting here with the same problem

Closing schools for multiple days due to a weekend snowstorm seems absolutely ridiculous to me. Even having Monday off was pushing it, but 3 days for a storm that hit Friday night? What wusses we've become...

School doesn't need to be closed unless there's actually snow-covered roads or widespread power outages. Neither of those is the case anymore. This is silly.

LOL my thoughts exactly. I can't believe schools would be closed on a Wednesday for a storm that mostly hit on a Friday night.

I don't think in 4"-6" per hour snows and 45 mph winds it's a good idea to have trucks on streets littered with cars. 

And as for Oct 2011... what should they have done... had school by candle light? 

Tubes it took me four hours to just dig out, then another 3 to clear the crap the town plowed later that day and then the final plow that came through yesterday that put up a wall of cement 5 ft deep and thick.

After Sandy the last thing they wanted to do was not have school, but it was not as simple as plowing the post road was one lane until Monday am, the snow has to be removed and it was a tedious process.

We all cant be efficient as Dobbs Ferry:)

post-865-0-90153100-1360708740_thumb.jpg

I am still amazed there are streets that are not plowed! We had 27-28 inches here, and roads were open by 8am Sat. Now Woodstock may not have the population of some of these other communities, but for a town almost 60 square miles our DPW crew did a fantastic job. I went to my office in Middletown/Cromwell on Monday and road to the office (normally 4 lanes) was only 1 lane! What an outrage

It is mind boggling.

That has nothing to do with the state, Cities cannot handle 3' of cement.

3 feet of cement... no matter where it happens... becomes a disaster. There's just nothing you can do. 

If you want to pay 100 full time people to operate 100 payloaders and have them at the standby for a storm that hits once a century you'd be in much better shape. But short of that... don't know what the answer is. 

Enjoy it man. Be safe, looks like the fisher is doing well. Switch to a Xv in 2010, love it.

I need a V for this storm!  I've been struggling so bad even with a F250 7.3 powerstroke...8' on the front and 1k ballast in the rear...  I may as well be plowing with a Jeep!  

I've been stuck countless times, I just leave the tow strap hooked to the back now and throw in the bed when I am done.  I've pulled cars out of the snow, plowed city streets, and gave tons of freebie/favor plows...happy to do it really.  A Storm like this puts weenies in a good mood for a long time!

3 feet of cement... no matter where it happens... becomes a disaster. There's just nothing you can do. 

If you want to pay 100 full time people to operate 100 payloaders and have them at the standby for a storm that hits once a century you'd be in much better shape. But short of that... don't know what the answer is. 

There isn't. You just have to deal with it, plan as best as you can for next time..and move on. I agree with you guys on this one.

Archived