amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Feb 8th-9th Potential Significant Coastal Storm

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah a late capture or NAM like solution would probably be best for you up there.  But then again, some of the SREF members that go wild with a tucked in low still crush you.  I think no matter what you are in a good spot.  There is probably a lot more margin for error for your location than many other places.  Just about every piece of guidance I've seen gives you at least 1" liquid and most are 1-2".  And you are a lot colder so there might be a fluff factor depending on the snowgrowth zone lift.

Sgz temps looked good, Surface temps are going to be around 12F, 15:1 should be a decent number

Interesting to hear a little about how the sausage got made. Sorry if you've already been asked this, but do you think blizzard watches/warnings could be in the cards for the SW ME coast? Seems plausible to my novice eye based on QPF, wind potential and anticipated duration.

It's possible, will depend on the forecaster discretion tonight. The potential is there, but they are so rare in reality that we may wait until seeing the whites of its eyes so to speak.

Just a quick mention of my thoughts on potential jackpot areas. (ahhh jackpots) don't worry i'm not overly fixiated on this! But thought it was worth just throwing general speculation out now that were inside 48 hours. I think areas just W of the coastal front will be the best locale for jackpot areas due to the proximity to model'd QPF max's and the benefit of  better ratio's (all things being equal) then areas just to the east of CF where temps maybe 31, where temps to the west of cf could be low mid 20's. i think a line from wayland ma to cumberland,Ri is my first call.  

1888 had a N-S coastal front bisecting NE from NLC to mid NHampshire

Yeah, just looking at it now.  1888 was warm through the surface, GFS has an elevated (700 mb and above) theta-e max with some warmer, but still quite cold, air.  Overall boundary in a similar spot, although the 1888 setup was rain to the east until the front passed back through through while this setup is still more than cold enough for snow east of the boundary. 

Yeah, just looking at it now.  1888 was warm through the surface, GFS has an elevated (700 mb and above) theta-e max with some warmer, but still quite cold, air.  Overall boundary in a similar spot, although the 1888 setup was rain to the east until the front passed back through through while this setup is still more than cold enough for snow east of the boundary. 

I've liked your thoughts today. Well reasoned and laid out.

Can you toss out a map or forecast totals?

Archived