• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - February 2013

Well, if one looks at the mosaic radar of the east I would think it's looking like the southern system is going to pass well east of our area with its influence.  I thought we were supposed to come at least partially under the influence of the coastal storm?  Looks like only the northern stream system is going to deliver precip to our area.  I realize they are going to merge, but this definitely doesn't have the look of what I was expecting to see earlier.

Also, someone in the phl forum posted an hrrr radar image for later today and it shows the coastal storm well east of the NJ coastline.

Disco out of CTP says period of heavy snow possible between 4pm and 7pm, so maybe that's when we get most of our accums?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow started just a little bit ago. Was just hammering down quarter sized flakes there for a few minutes but has settled down for now. Admittedly I slept in a good bit, and I saw that radar and then saw CTP's snowmap before it just updated and was like heh.. it better be the storm of the century in the amount of time that band looks to spend over my head to get 3-4. The new map def looks like what is going to play out, the radar should slowly consolidate as the axis of the backedge slows and pivots and the northeastern areas should be fine. Looks like the southern part of my snowmap (esp in the far south central and probably Philly area) is going to bust high.

Chris...earlier this morning you posted a forecast for tonight that called for 3 to 5 of snow. Where was that forecast for? I initially thought it was for you / Harrisburg, but that isn't what they are calling for. Did I miss something?

http://i.wund.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=iphone&query=40.27534472,-76.89713788

Mobile site, but it should load. It's set for KMDT.

5 of 11 GEFS members on the Ewall site show a significant snow event through the area for Wed night. That's the best signal we have seen so far I believe. 

Ice is still a concern Monday morning for NE areas of the region. For UNV, both the NAM and GFS print out >0.25 inches of rain in a 3 hour period with a temperature of 32.4 and 32.3 respectively  :lol: 

I think ur onto something pawatch huge gap in precip.

Actually I think the gap is closer than you think looking at the water vapour.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

Edit: Also pressure is down to 990

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16&parm=pmsl&underlay=1

Also looking at that water vapour it looks like towards the end it is moving straight north.

Mag

Is the phase later than what was predicted on the models?

actually GFS is looking the best in terms of timing of phasing to me... not what I was expecting yesterday at all... when it does phase I imagine NWS is waiting to see how far west the precip shield expands before cancelling any warnings... Northeast PA should still see decent snowfall just a matter of how far west does...

Mag

Is the phase later than what was predicted on the models?

it just seems like the whole thing is ending up moving more quickly. The last completed HRRR just trucks the back edge right on through PA and doesn't really start setting up a backlash until far NE PA and beyond. I feel like CTP might need to take the rest of its warnings out, oh wait they just did haha. BGM might need to drop em to advisories for AVP area. Here's total snow for that last HRRR.

post-1507-0-90618700-1360349365_thumb.pn

boston forecast

would love to see this for us one day :)

• This Afternoon Snow. High near 32. Breezy, with a east wind around 21 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 22. Windy, with a northeast wind 22 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
  • Saturday Snow, mainly before 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Windy, with a north wind 22 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.

No, and this gets to exactly my point. You guys are trying too hard sometimes to be the emotions police when sometimes it's not warranted. The original post was "the gfs is a rinse and repeat of this storm. you have got to be kidding me" in a tone that was negative or implied that we're being screwed somehow, to which my response was basically "all is right with the world".

I don't see how you guys are seeing that as anything other than jest?

I really didn't say anything other than the truth, really. The models are all over the place. I don't take you as a whiner nor weenie. 

Really, my goal is to prevent this from being a spineless ***** fest like the other subforums. Which we've managed to do. I like everyone here. 

Archived